God
  • Gonzo wrote:
    there's a danger, too, of focussing on just one religion.

Well sure, but lets be real, the qu'ran does ok for nasty quotage, and even if we want to just focus on christianity, there's plenty of meat to chew on.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Is there a full list somewhere?
  • WorKid wrote:
    A god with no discernible effect on the world is, in practical terms anyway, exactly the same as the absence of a god, no?

Yup, a god for which there is no evidence is indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist.  Hence, rational atheism and deluded faith.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    BOOYAH!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Gonzo wrote:
    I read that question and thought it pretty clearly was implying that religion was the cause of social conservatism.
    The cause?
    No, one of the causes.

You keep trying to make out that only 1 thing causes homophobia - that's far too reductionist. 
    Gonzo wrote:
    So you agree that religion is not just a "value-neutral tool" used by "social conservatives", but is actually part of the many influences that goes to form and spread that "social conservatism"?

Funny that, it's as if you're putting words into my mouth. If only there was a convenient interenet meme that simpletons deploy to describe just such a situation... I said exactly what I said.

Again, I asked you a question - just answer it, agree or disagree, and try not to read too much into it.

Also, insults? Poor form, old bean.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I understood the word tautology in sixth form, and thereafter used almost every opportunity till I figured out how intellectually weak its use is. I said that social conservatism might be a better label for what causes homophobia, you decided I said "homophobes" cause homophobia....If only there were a convenient internet meme for what you just did.
    Again strawmen and insults - poor form.

I didn't say "social conservatism causes homophobia" is tautologous, I said it was "damn near tautologous" because it is almost completely lacking in explanatory power. You hadn't explained where this "social conservatism" arises when you first made that statement, so it's almost as weak as saying "social conservatives that are already homophobes causes the spread of homophobia".
    Gonzo wrote:
    So why are you saying that you *do* know and that they *don't* shape their views (and then play an integral part of the dissemination and proliferation of those views)? You say religion is only a "value-neutral tool" used for spreading homophobia, but then you say that you don't know if religion shaped those views or not - you are contradicting yourself.

As I stated above, I don't know. It's a difficult question. The histories of religions are complex, and their interactions with various structures probably so too.

Of course - I'm not arguing for a reductionist single cause of homophobia, just that Religion is one of them.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I'm making an argument here, not claiming absolute knowledge.
    But you were claiming that Religion is NOT the cause of homophobia and that it is only a "value-neutral tool". So you were making factual claims that can be rebutted.
    Gonzo wrote:
    Funny you should happily pounce on that, when in the very next sentence I give you a concrete example of why I think religions do not predate cultural conservatism. If it were simple we would know the answer. But it's not simple, and you pretend that it is- it's all because of leviticus lol.
    Again with the strawman - I never said it was ALL because of leviticus, just that in this current day and age, Religion is one of the things causing homophobia.

And really, I don't care about history lessons and whatnot - I'm talking about the world as it stands today. People aren't born "social conservatives" or homophobes, they become that way, so homophobia pre-dating religion does not in any way prove that religion today is not one of the current causes of homophobia.
    Gonzo wrote:
    but since your focus is on christianity, we can find plenty of social conservatives well before christianity's advent. Take Augustus, ore the older Romans, well known for prudishness and cultural conservatism. The idea that humanity's heading into depravity and the wrong path is very old, and might well have shaped religions rather than the other way round.
    So what? What bearing does that have on whether or not religion is currently one of several/many causes of homophobia?
    A lot of attention and effort given to the "I don't know" bit, none on the specific example. The point is, why not speak out about homophobia?
    I do.
    Gonzo wrote:
    Why attack religion first and then bring up homophobia as the reason why?
    You made out that religion you don't think religion "does as much harm as the antis say it does" - I gave an example of an area where I believe religion does do harm. It was one of the several areas that I believe religion causes harm, but thought it better to focus on a specific example rather than muddying the waters with too many threads of argument.
    Gonzo wrote:
    Religions can and have adapted.
    Of course - anglican church ordaining female vicars etc.
    Some have adapted more than others though - and if we're talking about "social conservatism", Vatican springs to mind as really rather conservative.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I'll tell you why: you don't give a flying fuck about homophobia but you have a bee in your bonnet about the catholic church.  Only guessing.
    Guess again.
    And again, strawman, bad form. Only weakens your other arguments in the eyes of the readers.
    Gonzo wrote:
    Another source of confusion is about rules. The "right to tell others that homosexuality is bad because god said so" is identified as an ill. But I have that right. I can tell anyone that. It's up to them whether they believe it. What is so special about God that makes my claim that he posited a rule so harmful?
    Because anyone that comes to religion (for whatever personal reason) and believes in God, places authority in the holy book and the religious hierarchy. You going round telling people your POV about gays has the weight of a single man's opinion - for the religious, someone claiming to know God's will making that claim has much more weight.  And, like, it's in the bible, with a whole bunch of other mad shit, but it's in there.
    But it's up to them whether to believe it or not, and whether to act on it or not.

No, it's not really up to them whether "to believe it or not", as for whatever reason, they have FAITH in their religion and their church, so they take it on FAITH that what the holy text and the holy preachers say is true. 

You still seem to be arguing that a preacher's sermon and the holy texts, in the eyes of the faithful, only carries the weight of opinion of a single person. That's clearly not true.
    Gonzo wrote:
    It only matters if religious authority has some legal, public status. Maybe you'll explain yourself when I discuss that?
    Sure, it makes it much, much worse if religious authority also has legal status (e.g. pakistan, religious influence in Uganda's anti-gay legislation and persecution) - but that's irrelevant to my point that religion is one of the opinion-forming factors that leads people to believe that being gay is a bad thing.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I wasn't talking about legal authority, I was talking about the credence believers place in the authority of the scripture as passed down and the authority of the church to tell them what is and what is not God's will.
    Why does it affect you? If it has no legal authority, why does it matter that a stranger might blindingly follow text?
    What does it matter if Religion makes people homophobic? Why are you even asking this?
    Are you so laser-focused on legality that you can't empathise with the plight of gay kids bullied to the point of suicide in American high schools?
    Sure, concentrate on root causes. Leviticus 18:22 would be a start. Really, this whole idea that religion is "value-neutral" and only a tool is patently false. The Catholic Church is not "value neutral", it has plenty to say on the nature of good and bad/evil.  You're going to have to give that one up.
    There's really no argument anywhere here, just repeated assertion; and in such a long post too. The point is, when concentrating on harm, is religion neutral or is it positively harming society? I think as a matter of fact, religious forces, on balance, cause harm in contemporary times.
    [/quote]
    Oh right, so Religion does cause harm? Just not "as much harm as the antis say it does"?
    Okay, well then I take issue with your characterisation of how much harm "the antis" attribute to religion.
    Gonzo wrote:
    But I think the reason for that: the gay bashing, the jihad revering, female equality hampering is better explained by other root causes. Religions are a tool for mass organisation and education, and they are being used by the wrong people for the wrong interests.

So, given how vague the holy texts often are, how do we distinguish between  the "wrong" interests and the "wrong" people? How is one interpretation of the text "wrong" and another "right"?
    Gonzo wrote:
    But religions, abstractly, are neutral, I think.
    The concept of unquestioning faith in god-given, unchanging, infallible rules is somewhat contradictory to your idea that religious believers are entirely free to cherry-pick beliefs - there's a pressure and influence there that you are not acknowledging.

That "Religion" as a concept seems to so easily to lend itself to "being used by the wrong people for the wrong interests" would also seem inherent to its nature.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I have conceded- in my question to face a long time ago, that the issue is arguable. My view is that religions could easily - and have at many phases in our history- been forces for good, for emancipation. It's all about harm. That's why I highlighted in bold chump's references to "value neutral" (note the quote tags, is he purporting to quote me? if only there were a convenient internet meme that simpletons could use to describe just such a situation)

Gonzo wrote:
    I think religion is neutral, it's a tool...
    I accept that there's lots of good things about religion - and you acknowledge that it has and currently does do some harm.
    On balance, I don't believe the world would be a better place if there was no religion whatsoever, but I was only ever arguing against your implication that it doesn't do any significant harm.
    I know that may be me reading meaning into your "anti-anti-theist" stance, because you have often implied that the "anti-theists" are raving, irrational, all-or-nothing, ban-all-religions types (which I don't believe is the case, in the same way I don't believe all theists are irrational, unquestioning-blind-faith types - shades of grey all around), but that was what I took as your implication - that religion is mostly harmless.
    Gonzo wrote:
    I never used the term "value". I simply said that religious authority is not wrong per se. So religion is not intrinsically wrong. It's what you do with it that counts, and people do different things in different religions / movements within religions at different times.  People retain their mental faculties to decide what to do and who to obey ...

Well, that mis-characterises FAITH really, doesn't it? That people with FAITH get to rationally decide that they do and don't believe and who they obey?
  • I think I'm going to get a dictionary and wade in with this. Only because I think I might learn a lot. I have some ideas that I want to add. I'm will to put up with being corrected without feeling stupid. 
    I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread for now.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I mean this sincerely: It would be awesome if you did continue to join in. And I'll try and be pointed without being prickish. ;)

Also, chump am master quoter and follower of points/threads.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I mean this sincerely: It would be awesome if you did continue to join in. And I'll try and be pointed without being prickish. ;) Also, chump am master quoter and follower of points/threads.

Game on. :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Some_Guy wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    A god with no discernible effect on the world is, in practical terms anyway, exactly the same as the absence of a god, no?
    Yup, a god for which there is no evidence is indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist.  Hence, rational atheism and deluded faith.

I'm not sure why you would say deluded. What about all the people that believe and follow prophets teachings but stop short of the idea of a guy on a cloud pulling strings?

What about Pantheism beliefs and the people that follow(ed) them, like, um, Einstein?
  • WorKid wrote:

Agreed, But the measurement of effect itself is also subjective.
    What would be considered an effect though? Are we talking about little things here (the sun comes out as I'm about to go to a wedding) or what believers (and insurance companies) would call an act of God?
    Or are we talking about individuals that carry out 'religious acts'?

I'm only asking for the context.
  • Do the people that believe in gods honestly believe that said gods act exclusively for them, or even for humanity, given how much we know of the universe and just how vast it is, is a human-centric version of religion really possible?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I'm not sure why you would say deluded. What about all the people that believe and follow prophets teachings but stop short of the idea of a guy on a cloud pulling strings? What about Pantheism beliefs and the people that follow(ed) them, like, um, Einstein?

I'm sticking to god claims when talking about theism and atheism, but apart from just god claims it is also delusional to believe in any things which are unsupported by available evidence or opposed by available evidence.  Believing in something which finds no support in reality is indistinguishable from believing in a fantasy.

Following a prophet who had no evidence of his prophecy would be delusional.  If the prophet claims to be a conduit for the divine, then they would need to demonstrate some divine manifestation.  If the prophet claims to know of future events then they would need to demonstrate consistent fortune telling.  Failing this, their claims warrant no belief.

With pantheism; a universe that is just a universe is indistinguishable from a universe that people decide to call god.  Calling a universe (or everything that exists, or some things that exist) god does not make it so and amounts to relabeling something that exists to give it a quality that cannot be perceived.  Calling a rock a god does not make that rock a god.  In order for a rock to be a god, it would have to demonstrate godliness, same for anything else that exists.
  • Ali wrote:
    Do the people that believe in gods honestly believe that said gods act exclusively for them, or even for humanity, given how much we know of the universe and just how vast it is, is a human-centric version of religion really possible?

I would consider religion to be human centric anyway.

I guess it depends on how you would view God? Is it viewed as a singular entity that has one single point of manifestation? Or is it viewed as something that is omnipresent? - This view was popularised by churches to discourage certain actions considered sinful i.e. masturbation. If god was everywhere then it would be impossible to carry out sinful actions without retribution later on. It was also easier to rule the population if they thought that someone was always watching them as well. 

I think that our view of what God is has been 'humanised' to make it easier to understand, given a certain image to make it simpler for children to grasp. There are a lot of kids that think god is either - a man with a big white beard or Morgan Freeman. The Omnipresent is thrown in as they get 'older'

I think that individuals have used god to justify their actions, or have claimed events in their favour to be proof that god only acts favourable for believers. 

maybe.
  • RE: Root causes. A slippery slope that you'll never find the bottom of.

Generally on Chump vs. Gonzo, the more it goes on (and I have sympathies with both sides) the more you seem to be converging towards problems of hierarchy than religion per se. It's one thing to say the Vatican is excessively socially conservative and another to say Catholicism is (think some areas in Latin America where the local Catholic church is a particularly progressive force). This is because it's not so much that religions are value-neutral as value-ambiguous - thinking of Christianity there's plenty of what we'd call reactionary stuff in there alongside some pretty revolutionary ideas about freedom and love. Effectively, powerful interests establish a hierarchy and then cherry pick the ideas that best preserve their power, and control information and presentation of information that trickles down to those underneath. But there's nothing especially specific to religion about that, as many (but not all) exercises of power illustrate.

So I think what should be challenged are power structures, including but not limited to religions - and not because they are religions but because of specific repressive organisational forms. It's also in this sort of argument about religion that opposing it to science is counterproductive. It should be viewed in relation to politics, and accepted in the sense that any political stance (including liberalism) can become dogmatic, "irrational" and repressively exclusive. I do think then that there is a danger in singling out religion as a problem in itself rather than as part of a wider picture of particularly repressive forms of domination (not that I'm saying anyone here is doing so).
  • The god thread makes my head hurt.

xB8hZ.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Some_Guy wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm not sure why you would say deluded. What about all the people that believe and follow prophets teachings but stop short of the idea of a guy on a cloud pulling strings? What about Pantheism beliefs and the people that follow(ed) them, like, um, Einstein?
    I'm sticking to god claims when talking about theism and atheism, but apart from just god claims it is also delusional to believe in any things which are unsupported by available evidence or opposed by available evidence.  Believing in something which finds no support in reality is indistinguishable from believing in a fantasy. Following a prophet who had no evidence of his prophecy would be delusional.  If the prophet claims to be a conduit for the divine, then they would need to demonstrate some divine manifestation.  If the prophet claims to know of future events then they would need to demonstrate consistent fortune telling.  Failing this, their claims warrant no belief. With pantheism; a universe that is just a universe is indistinguishable from a universe that people decide to call god.  Calling a universe (or everything that exists, or some things that exist) god does not make it so and amounts to relabeling something that exists to give it a quality that cannot be perceived.  Calling a rock a god does not make that rock a god.  In order for a rock to be a god, it would have to demonstrate godliness, same for anything else that exists.

So, if I decide to follow the rule "Thou shalt not kill" I'm being delusional because it probably wasn't handed to Moses by God.

If you follow the rule "don't kill other people" you're being rational.

Is there a difference? Does it really matter where the rules comes from as long as we can all agree they're rather sensible ways to live a life?

Is it important to you that random strangers don't kill you because they're following rational rules or delusional ones handed down from God on a mountain as long as they're not trying to kill you in the first place?

How can following an idea that hasn't been tested or proved make you delusional? If that's the case then politics and science are all guilty of following ideas that haven't been tested.

I would argue that the universe does display God like characteristics. Lots of stuff happens and we don't really know why. And I don't mean things like why does the sun come up, I mean fundamental questions about how the universe works science still has no answer for.

I think you're being a bit narrow focused here, you seem to be concerned with the way organised religions manipulate people and think they're stupid for being manipulated and you're oh so clever for seeing through the lies. Without any real appreciation of the benefits it has for the majority involved.

How about taking a look at the world around and thinking about all the ways you're manipulated by people in power on a daily basis that you've absolutely no control over. Not subscribing to a religion hasn't helped you avoid being manipulated one jot. You're just as much another persons toy, and just as delusional if you think otherwise.
  • JonB wrote:
    ... This is because it's not so much that religions are value-neutral as value-ambiguous
    I still dispute that - if purely from specific examples of religious dogma.
    Common to nearly all religions are moral directives from God, more often than not written down and thus, whilst not completely immune to change, certainly hold extra traction and are IMHO less amenable to change.

YMMV with different religions, of course.
    JonB wrote:
    Effectively, powerful interests establish a hierarchy and then cherry pick the ideas that best preserve their power, and control information and presentation of information that trickles down to those underneath. But there's nothing especially specific to religion about that, as many (but not all) exercises of power illustrate.]
    IMHO, there is a significant qualitative difference between a religious moral/behavioural directive from God (and the weight that this holds with the congregation) and a non-religious power structure that puts forward other laws. 
    i.e. The extent to which faith shortcuts rational debate on morality, good and bad etc - "Why should we behave like this" goes no further than "because God said so, look, it's written down right here".

Also, ideas are packaged - people come to religion for many different personal reasons, but once inducted into the faith, their core beliefs and feelings that brought them to religion in the first place will be accreted with further ideals. e.g 20 years ago, no-one came to christianity because they believed that Sunday was a holy day and the shops should be shut, but that is one of the beliefs that gets added when subscribing to the package (and many of these were pretty non-negotiable).
    JonB wrote:
    So I think what should be challenged are power structures, including but not limited to religions - and not because they are religions but because of specific repressive organisational forms.
    For sure - I don't think the debate has ever been that "Religion is the only form of repressive power structure", that's clearly nonsense - but I believe it is a particularly difficult form to to change, due to the prevalance of dogma.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying that other forms of power structure are *easy* to change, but that Religion, because it's often very set in it's ways, because the authority is from God and God doesn't change his mind what with the infallibility and all that, is rather more prone to be stuck in its ways.
    JonB wrote:
    It's also in this sort of argument about religion that opposing it to science is counterproductive.
    Well, yeah, maybe - but you can understand how it comes up, what with the problem of inflexibility of religious dogma contrasted with the evidence-based falsifiability of scientific understanding.
    JonB wrote:
    It should be viewed in relation to politics, and accepted in the sense that any political stance (including liberalism) can become dogmatic, "irrational" and repressively exclusive.
    Hmm... but do you not think that there is something qualitatively different between Religious power structures and political power structures? That the reliance on holy scripture and authority from God lends itself much more easily to dogmatism and blind faith, making it much easier to influence the morals and behaviour of its followers?
  • djchump wrote:
    Hmm... but do you not think that there is something qualitatively different between Religious power structures and political power structures? That the reliance on holy scripture and authority from God lends itself much more easily to dogmatism and blind faith, making it much easier to influence the morals and behaviour of its followers?
    Not necessarily. On one hand, people have very deeply entrenched political views that are not based on religion. On the other, some religious people are very open to different ideas. I see stuff in the news everyday that's presented from a very questionable perspective ("austerity"), but it isn't questioned much and people assimilate it and repeat it as if it were the only way of looking at things. That's actually probably more subtle than most religious doctrines today and arguably more dangerous.

Moreover, when I said religions were value-ambiguous I meant in terms of being inconsistent. The Bible offers us some pretty fucked up morality in some cases, but in others Jesus really delivers the goods. So when we talk about the authority of God behind religious doctrine, well that applies to the good stuff as well as the bad and no one can follow it all to the letter because it's contradictory. Therefore there is a matter of choice even when committed to a particular religion, or perhaps more accurately it's a matter of choice on part of the religious teacher - and there we get back to structures of power again.
  • Facewon wrote:

Anyone think they're in a very different space re god and religion and spirituality etc compared to where they were.

I'm slightly more tolerant of religious types and don't think it's the root of all evil anymore (just some) but personal belief (or lack thereof) is still the same despite going through those experiences which people normally site as the 'you just wait till this happens' experiences.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion by quoting a post from the first page just thought it was an interesting question.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    I still personally feel like religion is all a bit... silly, but I find I have far less time for my peers who still take every opportunity to crow about how stupid it is without provocation. I've gradually simplified and refined my life philosophy to the general case of "Don't be a dick".
    The janitor.
  • And thus petey spoketh to the masses ..
  • Mod74 wrote:
    So, if I decide to follow the rule "Thou shalt not kill" I'm being delusional because it probably wasn't handed to Moses by God.

If you follow the rule "don't kill other people" you're being rational.

Is there a difference? Does it really matter where the rules comes from as long as we can all agree they're rather sensible ways to live a life?

If we both agree that killing other people is something to avoid but come to the decision through different means then the conclusion is the same but the process is different. If you come to the decision because your faith dictates that you must then your decision is not really informed by any sensibility about the implications of killing people; it is just blindly followed regardless of if you think killing others is sensible or not, so you cannot use sensibility as the justification for your decision as you have in your scenario. Your faith would be the reason for your belief and faith is not a rational justification for any belief, and even though your belief may be true you would be deluded to think that it is given the possibilities of what might be true if one is happy to take evidence out of the equation. You are deluded to conclude that we should avoid killing each other based on faith.

It does matter to me that the rules we agree to live by are as free from delusional decision making as possible. Do you not care if people want you to live by delusional rules, even if they happen to coincide with reality?

Let me give you a hypothetical of my own. Consider that we were give a Math problem like 1+1=X, and you worked out that X=2 by doing the Math, but I solved it by rolling a die which I claimed was magical and would give me the right answer, and I happened to roll a 2. Two is the correct answer and we both agree that the answer is 2, but is my belief that the answer is 2 delusional?

And more importantly, are you happy to have me on your Math team so long as I keep rolling the right answers? What if there were more at stake than wrong numbers, like if we were building your house and I used my magic die for the measurements?
    Is it important to you that random strangers don't kill you because they're following rational rules or delusional ones handed down from God on a mountain as long as they're not trying to kill you in the first place?
    I admit, I much prefer people not killing me regardless of their reasons, but that is only for the purely selfish reason that I value my life more than their rationality. I might also point out that the danger of someone wanting to kill me because they have come to the conclusion that delusions are not a valid reasoning tool, is exceptionally small. It is more likely that they would want to kill me for some other delusional reason, and so the problem of delusional thinking persists whether it leads to my death or not.

To continue my hypothetical, let me extend my own Math example to include that I believe I should kill people who question the authority of my magic die. You know that this is true, and we are on the same Math team. So far my die has only been right. Do you tell me that my die can potentially give me the wrong answers? Does it matter to you that I think this way? Would you not prefer me to be less delusional? Would it not be more likely that if I were less delusional then I would do better Math and not kill people?
    How can following an idea that hasn't been tested or proved make you delusional? If that's the case then politics and science are all guilty of following ideas that haven't been tested.
    I don't like the implications of the words 'following' and 'proved', they are not words I have used and change my claim substantially. 'Believing' in an idea that is not supported by 'evidence' is delusional. Investigating logically sound ideas that have not been proven or evidenced is not delusional, 'believing' in those ideas despite the lack of 'evidence' or opposition to 'evidence' is delusional, and implicitly irrational I might add.
    I would argue that the universe does display God like characteristics. Lots of stuff happens and we don't really know why. And I don't mean things like why does the sun come up, I mean fundamental questions about how the universe works science still has no answer for.
    Not understanding something does not mean that god did it. Do I really need to explain this to you?

God does not necessarily fill the gaps in scientific knowledge. The belief that those gaps have some sort of supernatural explanation is delusional because there is no evidence to support it.
    I think you're being a bit narrow focused here, you seem to be concerned with the way organised religions manipulate people and think they're stupid for being manipulated and you're oh so clever for seeing through the lies. Without any real appreciation of the benefits it has for the majority involved.
    I do not believe they are stupid at all. I was religious once, for longer than I have been non-religious in fact. When I gave up religious beliefs I did not become magically smarter, I became less ignorant and more informed. There is nothing good that religion provides that cannot be achieved through purely secular means.
    How about taking a look at the world around and thinking about all the ways you're manipulated by people in power on a daily basis that you've absolutely no control over. Not subscribing to a religion hasn't helped you avoid being manipulated one jot. You're just as much another persons toy, and just as delusional if you think otherwise.
    I'm not immune to manipulation I'm sure, and there are clear limits to what I have control over. However, the fact that I endeavour to base my beliefs on reason and evidence means that I am vigilant against faithful beliefs, and if I somehow discover that one of my beliefs is baseless, I will change my mind about that particular belief so that it is no longer uninformed. The faithful however have a vested interest in keeping their faith, which means they go out of their way to support their delusions and are easier prey for those who would manipulate them through their faith. I would make the case that not subscribing to a religion does in fact make one less easily manipulated, and those who seek to understand reality by investigating it are more likely to discover if they are being manipulated and avoid it. Would it not be delusional to think otherwise?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Right.

Well you still haven't addressed the great benefits it provides to many, if not most, of the people who follow a faith.

I'm not sure how you can underline the importance of rationality and completely ignore that aspect. Strikes me that only seeing what you want to see is just another word for delusional.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Right. Well you still haven't addressed the great benefits it provides to many, if not most, of the people who follow a faith. I'm not sure how you can underline the importance of rationality and completely ignore that aspect. Strikes me that only seeing what you want to see is just another word for delusional.

Shall I take it you agree with everything else then?

This was a discussion about faith being delusional, and that was my focus.  Faith is belief without evidence, and holding a belief without evidence is indistinguishable from believing in a fantasy, which qualifies as delusional, ergo faith is delusional and cannot support it's conclusions.  If you want to broaden the discussion into what benefits religion provides feel free.  I'm curious as to if you think that the benefits religion provides somehow justify the delusion it demands and I'm happy to defend the claim that there is no tangible positive benefit to society that religion provides  which cannot be achieved through purely secular means.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    When I was a good muslim, I felt like I had structure. The formalities of prayer, the stricture of fasting, the lack of drink, though I was hardly the most observant (I was fucking a nice anglican girl with pink nipples and a nice ginger muff- but she was my only girl, for four years), did have a certain beneficial impact. I worked pretty hard and tested myself in a pretty rigorous academic environment, and did well, in the top 5% in my year in a subject that certainly attracted a decent bunch of smartasses all over. I suppose I can track the loss of religion with a volatile sense of not going anywhere, of just floating, of lacking direction. But at the same time I feel infinitely wiser, more knowledgeable, humbler than the arrogant oxford boy I was then. I have a degree of empathy that I never had. I'm not sure I'd trade that for a structure that is provided by a fantastical and artificial social framework, which for me is what religion is. I have taken the best out of it, I hope, and strive now to achieve my own structure, my own framework. It's more difficult to do as an individual. Religions provide ready-made social interactions and support networks, that's why they still exist- and in areas of the world ravaged by need and poverty, thrive, because they help counteract the strictures of a power structure that would otherwise decimate the economic and social well being of these people. Power structures that the likes of Hitchens supported, even as he sneered at the superstitious simpletons who worship a fantastical God.
    Well now there was me about to agree with you on this post, but then you go ahead with another strawman:
    Gonzo wrote:
    That I will never leave behind: religious people find support in one another. They do not blindly follow stricture, by and large. They are human beings with moral faculties who still choose their own way. I simply don't recognise the description by chump of moral positivists who blindly follow the words of god. I feel sorry for people who have such a simplistic, uninformed point of view, who seem to lack empathy, and sneer at others for not being rational as they are.
    Again, another strawman. I never said that, and I even explicitly stated that I didn't believe that:
    because you have often implied that the "anti-theists" are raving, irrational, all-or-nothing, ban-all-religions types (which I don't believe is the case, in the same way I don't believe all theists are irrational, unquestioning-blind-faith types - shades of grey all around)
    So, you know, you can continue to either misread, misunderstand, or deliberately mischaracterise the points I make, but it only serves to further weaken the interesting points that you do make - tarring yourself with your own brush.

[Edit - also, somewhat ironic that you take a swipe at me regarding empathy, when previously you were asking me what difference homophobia makes to me and asking "If it has no legal authority, why does it matter".]
  • Important part of the phrase you bolded; "the extent to which..."

Are you just skim-reading my posts?
  • I don't deny that religion brings with it social circles, structure and comfort to people. My problem with that is that it's all based on what I see as a fallacy. It's also a fallacy that has allowed far too much influence on society from people who shouldn't be wielding any form of power because they base their dominance in religious hierarchy on exactly the same delusions that they have been taught...fear and the threat of expulsion (laughable to an atheist, the worst possible punishment to those who believe in it, apparently). You could happily get all the benefits of religion by joining any form of social club. It doesn't require a fairy story threatening eternal damnation to have a structured life, and that also has the benefit of not allowing crazy people to wield any form of political power and be responsible for the suffering of billions, via ignorance and outright genocide, through the blind following of ancient doctrine first written by 2000 year old Palestinian goat herders who knew absolutely nothing about the science we now take for granted.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Some_Guy wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Right. Well you still haven't addressed the great benefits it provides to many, if not most, of the people who follow a faith. I'm not sure how you can underline the importance of rationality and completely ignore that aspect. Strikes me that only seeing what you want to see is just another word for delusional.
    Shall I take it you agree with everything else then? This was a discussion about faith being delusional, and that was my focus.  Faith is belief without evidence, and holding a belief without evidence is indistinguishable from believing in a fantasy, which qualifies as delusional, ergo faith is delusional and cannot support it's conclusions.  If you want to broaden the discussion into what benefits religion provides feel free.  I'm curious as to if you think that the benefits religion provides somehow justify the delusion it demands and I'm happy to defend the claim that there is no tangible positive benefit to society that religion provides  which cannot be achieved through purely secular means.

You're either missing or avoiding the point I've made several times that "faith" isn't just a belief in things that can't be proved.

I'm sure you're not stupid enough to think that faith or religion isn't simply accepting wholesale every element of that faith.

You want to ridicule the fantastical or cherry pick certain passages but you're ignoring everything that's a perfectly sensible rational way to live your life.

I don't understand why you're willing to accept societal rules handed down from millenia but religious ones are delusional. If you're religious or not you're still placing faith in a set of life rules/lessons someone else created.

If the only thing you know about faith is it's a belief in a beardy guy on a cloud creating a universe then I could understand why you would think that was delusional. I'm sure you understand faith is a lot more than that so I don't know why you'd ignore everything else other than the fact only talking about unprovable (note, not untrue) elements supports your viewpoint.

I'm sure you must have talked in the past about the benefits, but right now saying faith=delusion makes you come across as just as closed minded as they monsters you're fighting.
  • Ali wrote:
    through the blind following of ancient doctrine first written by 2000 year old Palestinian goat herders who knew absolutely nothing about the science we now take for granted.
    Once you understand who the first people were to write down the bible story, the rest of it becomes very simple to explain.

I said this in my first post. While I don't follow an established religion myself -I think I'm going towards the concepts of Pantheism? 
     I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say that when the story of creation was first passed on, It was like explaining the internet to someone from the 1950's.

They simplified it into what they could understand at the time and then passed it on.
    Maybe it went something like this. 
    this is what i think happened. 

God?- Hi - is this thing on?
    Person - Hello?
    G - You can hear me? Signal in this place is terrible.. 
    P - Who are you?
    G - Just listen to me - your about to learn the story of the universe
    P - but I am just a lonely Goat Herder!
    G - OK - well just listen oh goat herder..
    P -.....well?
    G -excuse me?
    P - I'm busy -can we get on?
    G - In the beginning - there was nothing. Like Zero. Darkness. And then - there was an explosion
    P - A what?
    G - A big explosion from compressed matter spread particles across the universe
    P - A what?
    G - A big bang - and there were masses of energy that moved across the newly created universe
    P - *puts hand up*
    G - Yes? 
    P - dunno what energy is, or universe or masses or explosions. 
    G - I'll explain that later - some of these particles contained - well intelligence - thought kind of..
    P *hand up again* 
    G - You don't know what particles are.. do you 
    P - No - I'm only a goat herder.
    G - Well - you know the sun 
    P - Yup - the big yellow thing in the sky.
    G - Imagine that moving across a dark night 
    P - Wouldn't that make it the daytime then?
    G - what?
    P - Well - I know I'm not clever, but when the sun moves across the sky, that's called the daytime.
    G - Flip sake. Do you have any friends that I could speak to?
    P - No - its just me and the goats - and Adam over the hill. But he's daft.
    G- OK Well - 
    ***4 hours later***
    G - Millions of years..
    P - Right - That's the number that's more than the number of goats that Adam over the hill has.
    G - Okay - say a million years is like a day 
    P - I thought you said it was more than a day. I thought you said that it took time for all the animals to change. And those big dina - dinersaws - Those things that were like a snake but with arms and legs and bigger.
    G- Forget about the flipping dinosaurs!!
    P - Oh - Ok, so no dinnersaws or snake with arms then.
    G - Snakes don't have arms.
    P - I don't like snakes. Why couldn't they die out as well? Adam over the hill says snakes are bad. 
    G- So say a day 'figuratively speaking' passes 
    P - figuratively passes - I'm never gonna remember this you know. 
    G - So things change - first its the fish - they evolved into the beasts and the birds in the sky - and that happens say over millions of years
    P - Or days - Figgerit...Figarett..faggutority speaking.  About 6 really.  If you think about it.
    G - Yeah, okay, whatever.. Just a real long time.
    ***6 hours later***
    P - So monkeys don't wear clothes?
    G - Er no..
    P - They were in the nuddy then..
    G- No - they developed them as they evolved. As they gain awareness and intelligence - The next level up from monkeys. They were kind of like monkeys but without as much hair.
    P - So they were in the nuddy then.
    G - Flip sake. 

I'll continue later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!