The British Politics Thread
  • I saw the partial headline on my watch whilst working "Johnson admitted to hospital..."

I did a little happy dance until I read the full thing
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Apparently the UK Gov have ordered/bought new booster vaccines that are effective against omicron and the OG Covid variants. The deal is for ‘the latest vaccine versions’ from Pfizer and Moderna this Autumn.

That’s the good news. The less good news is that they’re only planning on giving them to over-75s, at-risk groups and healthcare workers. So nothing for most of us.

Still good news, but it could be better.
  • Gman and Tin are sorted at least.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This is really bad:
    https://inews.co.uk/news/no-10-planning-tear-up-restrictions-city-bosses-pay-cost-of-living-crisis-1696695

How did things come to this? It's disgusting.

In other news, David Lammy is on the grill.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lammy’s under investigation for failing to declare an interest on time. From what I gather, this is a very common thing among MPs and isn’t a particularly serious offence, but any impropriety among Labour MPs is going to be seized on by the right wing press at the moment.
  • Yeah, it was a big shrug from me when I read the details earlier.
  • This is really bad:
    https://inews.co.uk/news/no-10-planning-tear-up-restrictions-city-bosses-pay-cost-of-living-crisis-1696695

How did things come to this? It's disgusting.

In other news, David Lammy is on the grill.

So the rest of us continue to struggle and rather than do anything to ease the cost of living they instead prioritise reversing the restrictions on bankers pay and let their donors continue to earn more money.

The Tories are absolute scum
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The tories trying to blame labour/Starmer about the rail strikes is incredibly pathetic. Acting as if they aren't the ones in power. Reminds me of the 'thanks Obama' stuff the republicans did back in the day.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • How can they blame Labour when the Tories are the ones in power and have been in power for over a decade!!? 

It's pathetic
  • Ah but you see ‘unions’ are all Labour’s fault. Lefty nonsense. Bad for business. Doesn’t matter that Labour don’t even support them any more.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

That’s a great read but I always presume Boris just goes wherever there’s money and swank rather than having anything like a strong political belief or longer end game aim.
  • Good to see some Labour MPs staying true to the foundational ethos of the party and joining the picket lines to show support for the workers. Fuck Starmer for trying to stop them.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I think I understand what Starmer is trying to do, to try and remove the option for right wing press and mps blaming labour, by showing labour mps on the front lines. I also get the frustration and why the Labour mps want to join the workers.
  • It goes back to essential problem for Labour: instead of standing up for what they believe in and presenting a genuine opposition, they’re desperate to appeal to Tory voters. It’s never going to work in the long term.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I think I understand what Starmer is trying to do, to try and remove the option for right wing press and mps blaming labour, by showing labour mps on the front lines. I also get the frustration and why the Labour mps want to join the workers.

It will never work. Unless the right wing press choose to back him, which this current lot won't, then they'll continue to spin the narrative against him. Only reason Blair got in was the backing of the fuckers.
  • Hence why my prediction of our country being absolutely fucked come the next general election will come true.

• poprock wrote:
    Apparently the UK Gov have ordered/bought new booster vaccines that are effective against omicron and the OG Covid variants. The deal is for ‘the latest vaccine versions’ from Pfizer and Moderna this Autumn.

That’s the good news. The less good news is that they’re only planning on giving them to over-75s, at-risk groups and healthcare workers. So nothing for most of us.

Still good news, but it could be better.

Time to volunteer at vaccine centres
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • poprock wrote:
    Apparently the UK Gov have ordered/bought new booster vaccines that are effective against omicron and the OG Covid variants. The deal is for ‘the latest vaccine versions’ from Pfizer and Moderna this Autumn. That’s the good news. The less good news is that they’re only planning on giving them to over-75s, at-risk groups and healthcare workers. So nothing for most of us. Still good news, but it could be better.
    Time to volunteer at vaccine centres

All but the national vaccination sites have been "paused" by the Government.  There's a suggestion that they will re-open in September, but quite a lot won't be able to so, erm, yeah.  That might be a problem.
  • It doesn't matter because covid doesn't exist anymore. We beat it, got brexit done and are allowing people to buy homes. Shame the Labour party are ruining it causing these rail strikes.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This has got to be the approach to take with any Tories... brilliant.

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1539116568336117761?s=20&t=uZ0msk1QimdDv7GCzGTaAQ
  • Rev wrote:
    It doesn't matter because covid doesn't exist anymore. We beat it.

I’m shocked by the poor quality of advice I got when I tested positive yesterday.

Submitted my test result online, like you’re supposed to. Got emails, texts, etc from the Scottish Gov, the UK Gov, and the NHS, all telling me different things about how long to self isolate (or whether to do so at all) etc.

When I looked up the latest Scottish advice online instead, it told me the systems had all been switched off now, essentially saying that the pandemic is over.

So all these systems - notifications, track and trace, all that stuff - are officially switched off but are actually still running in zombie mode, sending outdated information and dead links to people like me.

What a mess.
  • It's all a suggestion now these days anyway, no? It would be sensible to isolate for (a number of days that keeps decreasing without clear reason why) but if you fancy going for a knees up then go ahead?
  • Libertarianism? When the government relies on the individual to take action. Judging by the population I'm sure we're fine. 

l o l
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I wouldn't trust the population with a wooden spoon
  • Why *would* you trust the public with such a sharp implement?!
  • poprock wrote:
    It goes back to essential problem for Labour: instead of standing up for what they believe in and presenting a genuine opposition, they’re desperate to appeal to Tory voters. It’s never going to work in the long term.

Exactly. Labour need to put distance between what they stand for and what the Tories stand for and explain why they are taking the position they are so that people can have at least a basic understanding of what each party fundamentally means. Fuck Keith.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    This has got to be the approach to take with any Tories... brilliant.

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1539116568336117761?s=20&t=uZ0msk1QimdDv7GCzGTaAQ

That is fucking great.
  • Gremill wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    It goes back to essential problem for Labour: instead of standing up for what they believe in and presenting a genuine opposition, they’re desperate to appeal to Tory voters. It’s never going to work in the long term.

Exactly. Labour need to put distance between what they stand for and what the Tories stand for and explain why they are taking the position they are so that people can have at least a basic understanding of what each party fundamentally means. Fuck Keith.

Haven't labour presented the opposite view? Tories have condemned strikes and said how awful they are, Labour have stated how tories could avoid it and aren't. Starmer requested his front benchers not join picket lines due to the optics (I'm assuming). Labour are on the other side of this to the tories.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!