The British Politics Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't really buy the argument that it's a slippery slope. You can have clear distinctions in the law and yes, there might be pressure from nefarious relatives in some cases but that doesn't balance with the sheer amount of people dying with prolonged pain.
    I mean that when you encounter a misfortune your path on down can be compounded by the system. And it can very difficult to get out of it. Maybe you meant another slope statement? This thread is getting crowded..
    The problem we have is that we just wait for bad stuff to happen because we have no say and we await our doom. In the countries that have implemented assisted dying there's much more discussion about end of life and crucially, it's often made before bad stuff happens. This openness seems to lead to healthy people talking about what they want with their doctors and family BEFORE the shit hits the fan. We don't do that here because we aren't given the options to make discussing these things openly worthwhile.

We are talking about different things here - my slope is the benefits/poverty slope.

Anyhow - I agree with you - the subject of being able to end ones life needs to have a grown up debate about it. There are definitely situations where it is correct to allow someone to bring their life to an end if they so choose.  People should be talking about it seriously earlier in life. Organ donation is a similar topic though of course it is nowhere near as complex for most of us.

It's also one of those subjects that we are more likely to change our minds about as we age and it starts to get real. But without any experience of true suffering it's hard to make a decision about it too.

A study of all factors is needed - and a good start would be to identify them all.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The problem remains that it's hard to talk about it when there are no options. If tin started asking his healthy patients about end of life care I suspect he'd be investigated and possibly struck off. There would certainly be complaints. We need to look at the findings of other countries more seriously and not assume we'll be jumping in blind.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • This country would almost certainly ignore international experiance.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This country is nowhere near the level of maturity required to look at the subject. And social media would poison any serious discourse.

I think Ireland may be closer to being able to handle it .. recent referendum results have pleasantly surprised me. Would be in the + column for unity in my book.
  • davyK wrote:
    This country is nowhere near the level of maturity required to look at the subject. And social media would poison any serious discourse.
    This is it really. We're a total joke.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    If you're diagnosed with a terminal disease I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to choose.
    I don't really buy the argument that it's a slippery slope. You can have clear distinctions in the law and yes, there might be pressure from nefarious relatives in some cases but that doesn't balance with the sheer amount of people dying with prolonged pain.
    OK, so here's the problem. Firstly, you need to diagnose "terminal disease".  That's relatively easy I guess - "a disease for which there is no cure, and from which the patient is likely to die" being the standard line.  It's not that straight forward though, because there are loads of diseases that fit that brief,  but you can continue to move a relatively long and productive life.  (Like COPD or heart failure).  That's before you start to bring in the "life is a terminal disease" argument. But OK, let's add some more layers to it - it needs to be a terminal disease, and the individual needs to be suffering from a level of ill health that would preclude them from simply ending their life themselves.  That's tightened it a fair bit, and made it more relevant (suicide is legal these days after all) - but now we've immediately added a caveat that involves other people, which means those other people might influence the decision making to some degree. Which brings us to the second part of your requirement.  "Choice".  Choice is a bloody hard thing to pin down. The first question is what we do with people who can't make that choice.  Dementia is one of the most common terminal illnesses, and one where medical professionals regularly tie themselves in knots trying to determine choice because frequently the individual lacks the capacity to make those choices.  We'll make it easy for now and apply the cold medical approach to this - namely you assess their mental capacity.  If they have the capacity to understand, retain, assess and express the relevant information then we generally accept their decision however ill advised, and if they don't we have to decide for them. Is that what we're going to do if people can't make the choice for themselves?  Are we going to decide for them?  If not, then you're saying that those people have, essentially, fewer rights than those who can make a decision. If we are then you've already created a situation in which someone else gets to make the decision to actively end another person's life (as opposed to simply letting nature take its course.) There's the more difficult to establish question of their mental health as well. Do they have a rational desire to die, or are they severely depressed?  (Honestly, this is not as easy a question as you might imagine it to be.) But perhaps we park all that for now - and say we'll only look at people who can make choices for themselves. Great.  But the problem remains - define "choice".  If someone "chooses" something, but you believe they have been coerced, is that still a choice? Right now I can guarantee you there are people up and down this country either being ushered against their will into a care home they don't want to be in because their relatives don't want to keep supporting them at home, or conversely not going to a care home because their relatives were rather hoping to grab the inheritance that might otherwise get spent on social care.  It's a depressingly common story. We have some safeguards against it, but honestly not many, and the minute someone says it's their "choice" we're rather obliged to go along with it. Are we going to extend that to death? And what of the people that absolutely do choose to say, enter a care home, because they know that there is no care available for them at home? But would definitely have stayed at home had the state funded someone to help care for them and keep them where they wanted to be.  Is that really still their "choice"?  If you say it is, then do you remain as comfortable when the care home doesn't exist and they're offered "struggle alone or end your life" as the options? The issue here isn't simply that legislating around assisted dying itself is difficult (and I've only scratched the surface of the complexities), but you then need to legislate for society as a whole. You have to guarantee a supportive infrastructure that wraps around people to ensure that they don't simply "choose" death as a rational alternative to a miserable existence created by a collective failure to continue to keep these people comfortable and safe. Which brings us to the real kicker.  Right now there are very few conditions that inevitably result in people dying in prolonged pain. If nothing else, as it stands, if you have a terminal illness, doctors can quite legally keep upping your analgesia until it relieves your pain - and if you happen to die before it achieves that, so be it.  The problem is more that there are conditions in which life becomes unbearably unpleasant - these people need a level of support that simply isn't offered to them, but in many cases could be, but we've chosen not to invest in it. There isn't a debate about whether or not our society would provide the care necessary for people to chose to continue to live - the answer is we're already failing them so badly they're actively campaigning to die.  We need decent palliative care for everybody, not the ability to kill them.   Finally, there's another bit to "choice" - whilst I've harped on about the evils of the state, and the wrangling of malevolent relatives, there is another reason why people might choose assisted dying that involves no cruelty at all.  Often - really often - I see people who regard themselves as a burden on their loved ones. The people they are "burdening" often wouldn't have it any other way, and love them desperately. But they perceive it as such none the less, and are often desperate to relieve this. I can imagine many good people will choose to end their existence purely to spare those they care about the "hardship" of supporting them. And it is a choice, and perhaps it's their right - but again I would rather that burden were carried, and they remained with us enjoying the company of the people they care for a little longer.

Well said. I really do not like the idea of not having agency in the matter but can equally see why putting it into law creates massive problems. The fact that suicide is legal doesn't help if I'm physically unable to carry out the act, though.
  • But we can already look at countries where assisted dying is allowed. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2733179/ There's a broad agreement that it works. Where it has been implemented it has been deemed successful and the amount of doctors that now agree with the practice has gone up considerably in all the countries where it has become lawful. Are we so different that it couldn't work here?

Success depends upon the criteria. Of course "it works" - killing people is, after all, relatively straight forwards, and a guaranteed way to end pain.  And of course doctors like it - struggling to relieve suffering in our patients is incredibly distressing - AID offers a solution to that discomfort, once someone has kindly decreed that it's morally acceptable.

Let's start with "slippery slopes" - well, they take time to make them selves apparent but...  We know that once it's offered, the reasons people request it widen and change.  In Oregon pain is no longer the chief reason for ending one's life.  In fact, the most commonly cited reasons in Oregon are concerns about "loss of autonomy", "decreased ability to participate in activities that make life enjoyable" and "loss of dignity".  These aren't people in agony, they're people who believe their future is going to be shit.  54.2% cited "being a burden" as one of their chief concerns - as opposed to 25.6% who mentioned pain (including concern that it might happen even if it's not happening now).

In the Netherlands there is significant and unexplained variation in euthanasia rates across the country, these might be benign, but associated factors include personal income and the availability of voluntary workers to support these individuals. In Belgium it is now legal to perform euthanasia upon people who are not terminally ill at all - such as those with psychiatric disorders - and the prevalence of this is increasing. People with depression and even personality disorders have been able to seek euthanasia, with 25.3% of all cases of euthanasia in Flanders citing "Tired of Life" as one of their chief reasons for doing so. 

In Oregon the rules remain, at least in theory, much stricter - but less than 5% of those individuals seeking AID get any sort of psychiatric assessment. Over 70% seeking AID have cancer, and we know the majority of cancer sufferers develop depression... The implication being that these people are being offered AID in preference to addressing their depression.

So, yeah, the slope is already beginning to look kind of slippery.

Where I absolutely 100% agree with you is that we need much better communication about death, how we want to die, where, and in what circumstances.  I don't however believe that the only, or best, way to achieve this is by legalising assisted dying and/or euthanasia.  I have had conversations with perfectly healthy patients about how they would like to die, and advised on Living Wills, as well as making clear records in their notes as to their view at that moment in time.  (Though, of course, people's opinions on these things change as their health does...) On a personal level I've already informed my family that I have no desire to have life-sustaining treatment in future, and the situations in which I might apply that. (Including should I develop dementia). I'd absolutely recommend anyone reading this to have the same conversation abut what they would want, when, and in what circumstances.

There's a general push across the UK to move away from the clumsy DNACPR forms we used to use, and adopt the RESPECT forms which cover a much wider range of circumstances than simply cardiac or respiratory arrest. Again, you don't need to be terminally ill to fill one in - although they are designed to be filled in with a Health Professional, and your GP probably won't be particularly thrilled if you just rock up wanting to spend half an hour discussing it despite being entirely well.

The conversation around death is a mess in the UK, and has been for a long time - not helped by the press.  (See all the fuss about the Liverpool Care Pathway a decade ago, which set the discussions right back.  Thanks Daily Mail....). But trying to kickstart that conversation by telling people that otherwise Assisted Dying conversations might happen without them isn't a terribly healthy way to resolve it either.  
    Death Cafe's / Coffin Clubs and the like are great though...
  • Stupid Flanders.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Stupid Flanders.

Stupid sexy Flanders
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    If someone killed one of my kids no punishment would be enough.....at a minimum it would be a life of physical and mental torture. Death would be over too soon for me.

This is disturbing.
    Not as disturbing as when he tells it to their boyfriends.
    Liam Neeson voice
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Unlikely wrote:
    The fact that suicide is legal doesn't help if I'm physically unable to carry out the act, though.

That suicide has become decriminalised doesn't really help anyone when assisted suicide can result in a long sentence. It'd have to be done on your own for a start and people will rightly worry about botching it. It still feels like a tremendous lack of empowerment and dignity and to protect your family it'd have to be a lonely endeavour.

I guess I don't fundamentally believe the law should have a say in how I choose to die, or more to the point forcing me to die in a particular way when that way is not going to be pleasant for anyone, especially me.

I'm not totally against people wanting to die for mental health reasons either. I knew a person that had terrible depression and I wouldn't wish what they had to go through each and every day on my worst enemy. A failed suicide attempt just made things worse - they managed to pump their stomach in time when a member of the public found them in a park and then they were sectioned (again). They managed to kill themselves in the end but it was very grim. I'm glad they're dead though, for them, but it made me angry that they had to end it like that. They came from a loving middle class family but that didn't help with the brain they were born with.

Maybe recent advances could help someone like that but that doesn't help with what they had to endure back then.

Anyway, it appears that the countries that have introduced it feel it's a good thing, pretty much across all age groups and professions except the religious crowd. That's a simple test to see if it 'works' admittedly, but it's as good as any imo.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    If someone killed one of my kids no punishment would be enough.....at a minimum it would be a life of physical and mental torture. Death would be over too soon for me.
    This is disturbing.
    Not as disturbing as when he tells it to their boyfriends.
    Liam Neeson voice

This is how DavyK has always sounded in my head.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If much of this is true, and I'm sure Pie has done his research, then this bill is absurd.

• Yay! New Jonathan Pie!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • But at the same time it is a little vague. Seems to give the police a wider field of interpretation to either ignore or be nefarious on a case basis doesn't it?
  • Yeah, feels very much another culture war dog whistle. Kinda surprised it's been bitten on so hard, for so long. But I guess that's where we are these days.

Poverty? Oh no. Don't have the time. Too busy with this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Paula Vennells has got to go to jail for all of this.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There are more than just her that deserve prison time. Selfish, cowardly, greedy, dishonest fuckheads.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh yes, definitely, but she she's always claimed she was never briefed on the investigations by the accountants. These recordings make it clear she was.
  • 100% needs to be a Police investigation now.
    Internal and public enquiries aren't enough, not when these smoking guns are out there.

Lock up these absolute cunts.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They must be able to be done for perverting the course of justice, or fraud, or something else along those lines.
  • They would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling dramatists.
  • So if I were to call someone that identifies as female a biological man, would that likely be deemed offensive by a reasonable person? If I did it in a public place for example?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought the wording was "threatening or abusive" AND " the person intends to stir up hatred against a group of persons".

Where does "offensive" come into it?
  • I'm not sure. I'm not sure about any of this, not that it's a big deal when there are other things to worry about, but I am intrigued. I've never really thought about any of it before. What's the difference between verbally abusive and saying something deliberately offensive? Isn't that stirring up hatred?

Does hatred mean getting other people to say similar things? Encouraging it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!