The British Politics Thread
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah not a good look. If she commits to standing down at the GE I'm less bothered but standing as a Labour candidate is bad.

Absolutely (and she apparently has said she'll step down) - though the last guy committed to standing down at the GE, but also made it clear he was setting himself up as a Labour advisor on health, which was a massive red flag as he's one of those literally responsible for the current NSH mess...  You wonder what she's hoping to get out of it, unless it's just to irritate her ex-husband. (From whom she essentially inherited the role of MP after he was arrested for sexual assault.  Again, probably not the sort of person the party should be proudly taking in...)
  • I heard them mention that in PMQs. I didn't realise it was the woman who took over the seat from her husband when he got caught up in a sexual assault scandal. 
    And she's a total rotter. Pure Tory. Her record is full of anti-union, immigrant, culture war bollocks.

But Labour have apparently confirmed she's standing down at the next election.
  • I have become disillusioned with The Empire’s failure to deal with the Rebel Alliance, so I’m pleased to announce that I have today defected to Labour
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I have become disillusioned with The Empire’s failure to deal with the Rebel Alliance, so I’m pleased to announce that I have today defected to Labour

RotJ spoilers
  • How the fuck can Labour sell a Tory joining them as a good thing?!
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • It will sting Sunak but at this stage isn't necessary even from a political attack points angle.

"Look how shit Sunak is!" yeah we know.
  • She supported Liz Truss for PM.
  • Very much feeling like an own goal. Should be talking about the election results still not this bell end.
  • Some Labour insiders are indicating Elphicke may take up a role advising on or shaping the party’s housing policy, given her experience in that area
    I suspect Starmer is offering these chumps the promise of cushy, publicly funded jobs later in return for defections now.
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1788205822075432980?t=wtnQzNmVubMaQa83xw4HnA&s=19
  • Hopefully it's "do whatever the opposite of her advice is"
  • I have become disillusioned with The Empire’s failure to deal with the Rebel Alliance, so I’m pleased to announce that I have today defected to Labour
    Superb
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Isn't that kinda what happened though?
    SFV - reddave360
  • He's calling her an egg head I think.
  • Fucking amazing, Labour refuse to rule out letting Nigel Farage join.
  • Will of the people!

Yougov (7-8 May)
    Con: 18% (no change from 30 Apr-1 May)
    Lab: 48% (+4)
    Reform UK: 13% (-2)
    Lib Dem: 9% (-1)
    Green: 7% (-1)
    SNP: 3% (+1)
  • Golden boy Houchen ripping into Sunak is amusing.
  • Sunak speech today.
    Warning us the next 5 years will be more dangerous than the last 30 due to AI and the "Axis of authoritarianism" (the irony is rich).

We can argue the toss about how much of a threat those things are and who the best person to lead us into that situation is (Clue: Not Rishi Sunak).

The main thing I want to see a Journo press is that if this is going to be such a dangerous 5 years then we need to have an elected government with a mandate to steer us through that sooner rather than later.
    If the next 5 years are so important why are we about to spend 6 months fucking about?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pathetic little twat. He’s so embarrassing every time he does a speech. No gravitas, no charisma, no intelligence.
  • It’s just a classic FUD speech from a dying government. Worth nothing, although maybe it will convince some swing voters to stick with tories one more time

Anyone thinking tories will get less than 20+% in next election is crazy
  • Its this month's Rish.
    He has been the safe pair of hands, the candidate for change, the economist and the anti-woke man. Now he is the guardian of Britannia.

Until that flops and he will be something else come summer.
  • This speech is just a brain dump.
    Totally rudderless.

What is he actually trying to say here?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AI is only a danger if we introduce automation based upon it.  We also need to be extremely wary of its role in decision making. As a decision support tool it will be (is) very useful.

Anyhow Rishi, while likely a smart enough bod, simply isn't a politician, let alone a political leader.  He is a complete fucking lightweight.

What annoys me most (and it isn't just him but he is typical) is that he seems to think we are all stupid since not being rich = being stupid/lazy delete where appropriate.  And that phrasing of the speeches - that pattern of emphasis on words as if they are the only words we hear him saying. Whoever is providing that training needs fucked into the Thames Valley water after a downpour to choke on their own shit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This is now just an election speech. Is he allowed to do this in this capacity?
  • He is so painfully out of touch with the troubles of the British people.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd let him drown in his own rhetoric. He's an irrelevance and every word is adding to his clownshow legacy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    To be fair to the guy , he is totally in hock to the loony right. He's only there because of some dance he did with the collective devils.  So he is pushing an agenda he probably doesn't agree with. Defending the indefensible.

Of course he has no agenda himself - he's an empty vessel.

Just imagine - the power of maths. That's probably the total of his own thinking.
  • He is still going, Ive totally zoned out.
    Like the Ferris Bueller teacher.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't listen any more. To be honest I don't listen to Starmer either.

Parliament is like a field in which there's a fatally injured wolf with a flock of sheep trying to finish it off.
  • Rishi comes from a set of people that believe that anyone who isn't successful is lazy and stupid and the fact he is Indian means that racism is also not a thing because he was able to make it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • He is just saying stuff.
    Endless stuff.

He is going to get slaughtered at election debates, and that is against milquetoast Starmer. If Sturgeon was still leader of the SNP she would tear him a new one.
    Fucking Ed Davey will do a number on this bozo.

A good speech should have a purpose, a hook and ideally a soundbite to print as a headline. This is everything and nothing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!