The British Politics Thread
  • Labour saying Khan has won it.
    I want to see the full results to see how wrong this nonsense has been.

Also with just 3 councils left the Lib Dems are ahead of the Tories on seats. It's doesn't mean an awful lot but I want them to beat the Tories into third.
  • As I predicted, the idea of Susan Hall winning disintegrated on contact with the electorate.
  • The Lib Dems ditched their wealth tax proposal to appeal to Tories. Labour, Tories, Lib Dems all the fucking same when it comes to the only thing that matters, which is taxing the fucking billionaires to get back some of the wealth they've leached after the 2008/09 financial crash and the pandemic.
  • Manchester and West Yorkshire Mayors both re-elected for Labour, both improving their shares.

Edit: sorry Burnham did actually lose 3.9% of vote share. Con lost 9% though and Burnham was wayyyyy out in front of everyone.
  • I love how all the manufactured moaning about Burnham online was laid bare as bollocks with that result.
  • I love how all the manufactured moaning about Burnham online was laid bare as bollocks with that result.

Yeah, there seems to be a pattern there.
  • Lol, I've just found the per borough breakdown, and he smashed the shit out of everyone in every borough.

Love that the guy running to give Bolton a vote on leaving GM came 5th in Bolton.
  • Khan wins.
    Good. I never bought this nonsense about Hall potentially winning but I'm glad to see her kicked to the curb none the less. A grotesque campaign and candidate even by Tory standards.
  • Hilariously, ULEZ had absolutely no effect. Almost like it's not an actual issue eh?
  • Skidmore made a similar point, these anti green candidates are losing to the pro green (not the rapper) ones.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Khan wins.
    Good. I never bought this nonsense about Hall potentially winning but I'm glad to see her kicked to the curb none the less. A grotesque campaign and candidate even by Tory standards.

Brilliant!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol he got nearly three times as many votes as her.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

I thought it was 33/44?
  • Interesting that the West Midlands result is so tight when Street didn't use Tory branding, nor campaigned as a far right bigot.

Much like the Teeside Mayor, any success seems to be in spite of being Blue.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

I thought it was 33/44?

Ah derp the stat I saw was just one constituency or whatever they're called
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

I thought it was 33/44?

Ah derp the stat I saw was just one constituency or whatever they're called

I think I made the same mistake earlier. The beebs coverage wasn't the clearest.
  • Labour are claiming West Midlands.
    Tight as a gnats chuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It was the Tories asking for the recount in Cov so felt a bit Trumpian.
  • Fortunately it's Street not Hall. I think Street will accept defeat gracefully.
  • Street's reign of terror is over then. I've got no idea whether he was a good or bad mayor. I don't really know what it is they do. Some sort of glorified cheerleader for the region. The Labour guy is bringing the buses back into public ownership and saying he'll accelerate net zero plans. Fuck knows. All I know is Rishi Sunak won't get his little moment gloating next to the winner so that's probably good.
  • Doesn't bode well for the future of that position in the West Midlands that it takes a national Labour lead of 20+% and a Tory party at a historic low to edge a Labour win by a less than half a percent.
  • I can't see how Sunak is going to be able to spend 6 months talking bollocks about "will of the people" and "stick to the plan" after this. It was ridiculous before but now it's going to look like pure insanity.
    The lunatic fringe will want him to go further Right but these results have shown that's not what people want, every other party seems to have made gains other than Reform.

There needs to be a blood letting but who?
    If he culls the Right wing nutters from Government jobs they'll put in letters.
    The Chairman has only been in for 6 months, the Deputy PM 1 month.
    Plus any blood letting this close to an election shows a lack of confidence in his own people.
    The talent pool has been drained several times since 2019.

A rebrand? He's already had several as have the party.
  • Has to be a July GE surely.
  • Yeah just call a GE and put everyone out of their misery.

Houchen was the only Tory Mayor to win.
  • Talent Pool?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bastard Bog
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I wouldn’t vote for the guy personally but he’s the type of MP the conservatives need. Humbly accepted defeat and took it all on his own shoulders.

• He looks like a feral ghoul.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • He's a tiny little goblin. Tried finding a good shot of him with Sunak but cant find a full length photo. This seems accurate though, he's not stood off a curb or anything.

f6588584eab391dcea5550d20d2068ad.jpg 

I did watch his speech though and he was gracious in defeat. Its a way of being that we need to get back to in politics regardless of what party they represent (or pretend not to represent).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!