The British Politics Thread
  • Maths!

In short though Houchen lost 22% of the vote share compared to 2021 (73%), so that kind of loss is translated over to what the MPs in the area got in 2019. Not sure of the exact formula but assuming they didnt just subtract 22.

I couldn't catch the full graphic but it had the MP with the previous highest vote share now on 24%.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Tories have won Tees Valley. Labour have conceded. 51%-43% at current count. The gap was closed significantly though and according to Sky News when translated to parliamentary seats would see them all go to Labour in that area.
    How does that translation work??

Houchen had a significantly bigger majority than any of the MP's. He won something like 70% last time out. Even a less significant swing would wipe out all of the MP's majorities, though in reality it could even be more considering the personal appeal of Houchen.
  • Houchen will probably get more out of a Labour government than he has from the Tories in Westminster anyway. He's laughing.
  • This is the chart Sky keep showing but for some reason only on a studio screen with someone sitting in front of it.

Capture.jpg
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I couldn't catch the full graphic but it had the MP with the previous highest vote share now on 24%.

That graphic was the majorities at the last election. So Simon Clarke had a majority of 24.3%. The others were all under 10%.
  • Whilst the Tories are getting pasted at the ballot box, they're also getting done over in court.

https://news.sky.com/story/governments-climate-plan-ruled-unlawful-by-high-court-13127958
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah but courts know nothing, Rwanda proved that.
  • This pair of Tory Boys lol

Capture.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fucking hell. That's your problem right there.
  • Nothing I couldn't sort out with a screw driver and 27 seconds.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Rev wrote:
    Nothing I couldn't sort out with a screw driver and 27 seconds.

That's worryingly precise. Have you practiced??
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • A BBC reporter Rob Mayor quoted a Labour source as saying "It's the Middle East, not West Midlands that will have won Street the Mayoralty. Once again Hamas are the real villains."

A Labour Party Spokesperson said: ‘The Labour party has strongly condemned this racist quote which has not come from anyone who is speaking on behalf of the party or who’s values are welcome in the party.’

But... how would they know?
  • Rev wrote:
    Always practicing..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Whilst the Tories are getting pasted at the ballot box, they're also getting done over in court. https://news.sky.com/story/governments-climate-plan-ruled-unlawful-by-high-court-13127958

WOKE!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    Rev wrote:
    Always practicing..

Must try harder

UA__eD.gif
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We're only half way through the count and the Tories have already lost 189 councillors.
  • Labour as the second biggest party are the main beneficiaries but the story seems to be an exodus from the Tories and they are going left, right and centre.

The problem the Tories have as far as I can see is that it doesn't matter what they pledge, if the move more centre or go further right. The public has no reason to believe they will deliver nor stay on that path for more than 18 months.
  • I've just realised that the RA on the BBC I'd been assuming was Reform is actually Residents' Association, so Reform haven't been doing the reasonably well I thought with 14 seats, they have in fact not won any.

The Lib Dems have won more councils and councilors than the Tories so far also.
  • Labour win North East mayor.

Driscoll came second with 28%, very good result for Driscoll running as an independent. Obviously not a win but enough to make Labour take notice.
  • I've just realised that the RA on the BBC I'd been assuming was Reform is actually Residents' Association, so Reform haven't been doing the reasonably well I thought with 14 seats, they have in fact not won any. The Lib Dems have won more councils and councilors than the Tories so far also.

Oh, Ive made the same mistake.
  • Galloways mob have won 2 seats.
  • Rishi Sunak has a Labour Mayor lololol

Say it quietly
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Counting started for my council, don't hold out much hope TBH, but voted tactically where I could.
  • After all the shouting and bullshit Reform haven't won anything? that is glorious.
  • Sunak's speech with Houchen was hilarious.
    All cheers as he congratulated Houchen, fair enough the guy won after all.

Then Sunak says Labour were relying on winning this one to have a hope of winning the GE. Then says he knows the people will stick with the Tories.
    The crowd go silent while he's running full David Brent energy.

Of course he has to be positive, has to big up his own party but he looked like a swivel eyed loon. Totally delusional. The really scary thing is I think he believes it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d rather politicians said we fucked up but we’re gonna go and sort ourselves out and come back with a serious manifesto to run the country. Then I realise I don’t live in an alternate universe.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sunak's speech with Houchen was hilarious. All cheers as he congratulated Houchen, fair enough the guy won after all. Then Sunak says Labour were relying on winning this one to have a hope of winning the GE. Then says he knows the people will stick with the Tories. The crowd go silent while he's running full David Brent energy. Of course he has to be positive, has to big up his own party but he looked like a swivel eyed loon. Totally delusional. The really scary thing is I think he believes it.
    I've seen commentary that because he's never had to deal with not getting his own way and not having to actually worry about anything, that's he's built this belief that he's never wrong as everything works out for him. Even in the face of him being ridiculously wrong, he thinks he's doing the right thing and that other people are mistaken. Which is why under all the evidence that the Rwanda deal is unworkable he doesn't listen and ploughs ahead. It's one of the reason's you aren't going to see any regret from him once this is all over. He's a textbook privilege rich boy sociopath, who'll end up on the board of several companies once he fucks off to the US. He genuinely believes like Johnson that none of these failures will be his fault.
  • Sounds about right.
    He probably sees perseverance as a key quality, but he has tipped into pig headedness.
  • That's the Cameron effect.
  • Haha.
    Different type of pig headedness.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!