The British Politics Thread
  • No whistling though.
  • I admire that he messed up and resigned. Of course the right wingers will have a hypocritical field day with it which is fully expected.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven't been keeping an eye on this. What has he done?
  • Saying nothing because I'll get branded a fucking tory again, which says a lot about current political landscape.

Please can we just get an adult in charge, please.
  • Saying nothing because I'll get branded a fucking tory again, which says a lot about current political landscape. Please can we just get an adult in charge, please.
    who Branded you a Tory?  that's a bit harsh.  Who would you like to see in charge?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Saying nothing because I'll get branded a fucking tory again, which says a lot about current political landscape.

Please see my weekend tweet to you.

• b0r1s wrote:
    I haven't been keeping an eye on this. What has he done?
    He decided to break up the pact between the SNP and the Green party that put the SNP into a minority government, which seemed to have been done on a whim rather than being properly considered. It's caused a ruckus and now we have Douglas Ross thinking he'll possibly be first minister now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Rev
  • His most shocking thing is he held his hands up and resigned. I guess I'm so used to politicians doing what the fuck they want without consequences. Of course it's gained attention from the RW lovelies calling him an anti white racist.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just listening to O'Brien talking about it. Seems a surprisingly principled guy, though I don't know that much about him. Any Tory would have simply have fronted it out, as they have done in the English parliament.
  • Dunno what it means for future. Douglas Ross has released a statement claiming the credit for his removal, though of course, if he actually had any loyalty to Scotland, then he wouldn't really have wanted the upheaval caused by another leadership vote. Ironically, if he got his way and forced another election in Scotland, there's a strong chance a lot of the Tories would be wiped out. Ross himself is only in parliament because of the list vote, not because he won anything.
  • Yeah I had a lot of respect for Humza, what thr fuck was he thinking?
  • What does Ross want a medal or a chest to pin it on?
  • Rev wrote:
    Saying nothing because I'll get branded a fucking tory again, which says a lot about current political landscape. Please can we just get an adult in charge, please.
    who Branded you a Tory?  that's a bit harsh.  Who would you like to see in charge?

Paul, jokingly on here and was taken in jest completely, but it is indicative of what it's like on twitter/work.

I dunno, just people who actually do things for the betterment of people.
  • I must admit after being a Labour supporter for years they lost me after it was clear they were very comfortable with working with the Tories at a council level. With their current views on Scotland in general, and them being terrified of criticising Israel, and their welcoming of SEZ and freeports in the UK, plus the lack of anything that doesn't suggest they're anything more than a branch of Westminster Labour, I'm pretty much done with them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    Saying nothing because I'll get branded a fucking tory again, which says a lot about current political landscape. Please can we just get an adult in charge, please.

Paul, jokingly on here and was taken in jest completely, but it is indicative of what it's like on twitter/work.

I dunno, just people who actually do things for the betterment of people.

I truly hope my one did not do you over. I just couldn't think who else to share it with that would appreciate it on the same level of the Cambuslang Wrestling Scene
  • Still don't understand Starmer and his refusal to try to raise the slightest amount of hope in people. There's million more voters on his side, and it seems like the easiest game in the world to rally the public into backing him. I remember the hope that Blair was bringing in with him. Cunt had a theme tune for goodness sake, and now we have unexciting WanKeir.
  • There's just something missing here on his side which just feels off. He seems like a caretaker PM, only there for five years until the Tories get back into power. Not seen much commitment into pulling things back for anyone except the rich,
  • Personally I'm quite happy to have somebody as dull as ditch water.
    Interesting politicians over the past decade have not been any good for us.

Politics in general needs to become a lot more boring.
  • The boring, uninspiring bit is fine. the constant referral to dumb as fuck fiscal rules and "there's no money" bollocks is not fine.

One can only hope that it's a triangulation attempt, that the forces of 'conservatism' (read: nasty right wing media) wielding power over our socially and fiscally conservative parochial provincial parts of our electorate (25%?) need to be neutered to ensure enough of a majority. But we've said that before, and there absolutely zero precedent of such a party turning radical (read: basically looking after its citizens and country) once in power, so hope is for the dumb
  • fucking austerity man. Osborne still out there claiming the argument is won! amazing
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep they can fuck off with fiscal rules. The worst thing Starmer has done is row back on the green investment plan. We need a huge infrastructure project to really boost the economy and this was the perfect way to do that.
  • The problem at the moment is there is little talk of austerity (deliberately) because all the talk is of Rwanda or Trussenomics which was worse than Osbournomics, or an endless stream of MPs getting handsy, or any other number of nonsense spouted.
    Boring opens up the actually useful conversations.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    He's constantly worried about perception particularly from the press. Doesn't want to fuck it from here, and knows anything vaguely lefty will be hounded by the redtops etc.

I think he's playing that "too safe" and needs to actually show some balls. Otherwise what's the point really. I'm getting less and less convinced he'll get better once in, but still surely better than the Tories. Think I'll be voting green tho.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The problem at the moment is there is little talk of austerity (deliberately) because all the talk is of Rwanda or Trussenomics which was worse than Osbournomics, or an endless stream of MPs getting handsy, or any other number of nonsense spouted. Boring opens up the actually useful conversations.

I'll take that. normalising politics into the complicated business of competently running a country or four would be most welcome especially if it changes the conversations from 'they took r jobs' to 'is this really the optimum investment strategy and what are our short term housing tactics' etc
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    He's constantly worried about perception particularly from the press. Doesn't want to fuck it from here, and knows anything vaguely lefty will be hounded by the redtops etc. I think he's playing that "too safe" and needs to actually show some balls. Otherwise what's the point really. I'm getting less and less convinced he'll get better once in, but still surely better than the Tories. Think I'll be voting green tho.

I'd agree with this. He isnt as left as Corbyn anyway but definitely overly safe.
    I can kind of understand it to an extent. 2019 was a disaster, blame whoever you want it doesn't change that.
    He has had a consistent lead in the polls for a long time now so rocking the boat is counter-intuitive.

As always check how your constituency sits in terms of voting. I'll be in a new constituency but based on the current ones it will be birthed from voting Green will make fuck all difference to anything. Most likely Labour will win my seat but itll be Reform and Con behind, possibly Reform beating Con. If I don't vote Labour it closes the gap between them and the right wingers sending the exact opposite message I'd want to send in voting Green.
  • There's been a fundamental change in electioneering over the last couple of decades.  In the past, each party would precisely lay out what they stood for and what they would do (remember what manifestos used to look like?).  This is no longer the case.  Political parties now realise that taking no position means they have nothing to be attacked over.  They'll throw out some vague, common sense ideas that are easily supported but nothing with any substance.

This means that election messaging is now a simple "trust us, we'll do a good job and don't trust them because they won't".  It all stems from how Putin got and maintained power a couple of decades ago, the politics of chaos.  Give your opponent nothing to pin you down over and rely on public relations to smear your opponent enough to win an election.

Labour are in a strange place right now.  Everyone knows they've pretty much got the next election in the bag as long as they don't fuck it up.  They are clearly terrified of taking a strong position on anything in case that's the issue which moves the needle.  In the meantime the tories are throwing mud around in the hope that something sticks and making a lot of noise over small issues to try and get a rise out of labour.

The whole thing is frustrating for the informed voter.  What do labour stand for?  No idea.  What do the tories stand for? again, no idea other than general statements that immigrants and benefits claimants are bad and don't worry about the last decade and a half of poor governance because that was different tories.

FFS take a position and stand by your principles.  Show us what you stand for and why.  Sadly, I think Corbyn losing was the death rattle of that sort of politics.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    Sadly, I think Corbyn losing was the death rattle of that sort of politics.
    I often wonder how much happier we would all be if he had won. 
    the current wave of cruelty politics favours the right wing. As we all have less money to spend, i see more people turning on those who need the help most. I remember during the Blair years, when I had more money in the back pocket that things just seemed to be a lot nicer.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    Sadly, I think Corbyn losing was the death rattle of that sort of politics.
    I often wonder how much happier we would all be if he had won. 
    the current wave of cruelty politics favours the right wing. As we all have less money to spend, i see more people turning on those who need the help most. I remember during the Blair years, when I had more money in the back pocket that things just seemed to be a lot nicer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!