Looking at faraway stuff
  • Mmmm. It's certainly what enables you to have a finite universe without an edge. But an infinite universe? Why does it need to be bounded?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I suppose an infinite amount of energy might fuck things up.
  • I might have my terminology or concepts (or both) confused. I checked the book that I was thinking of and what I should have been mentioning is a shape (universe) that is both finite but with no boundary.

(The book is about the Poincare conjecture, FWIW). Donal O'Shea's account of the solution and context behind it.)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Speed of light in real-time.

https://youtu.be/_61SxDrdyhI
  • Nice. Now where's one from the perspective of the photon!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Thought this might be more suitable in here.

Roger Boisjoly died. Top man.
  • Jesus, that was ages ago and I've just found out now.
  • Well who'd have thought it? The milky way isn't a flat-ish disc but warped and twisted.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/feb/04/milky-way-is-warped-and-twisted-not-flat
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Image looks like someone let Dali near a telescope
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I like this pic, which shows the relative size of Andromeda in our night sky. We don't see it because the light from the stars in another galaxy are too weak for us to see but it's there, and you can see it in infrared with the right equipment. EpuhHJa.png
    Fuck thats amazing. Like the others I thought the little fuzzy bit you can see was the majority of the galaxy. Wowza.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • So then. A photo of a black hole. And it appears to be as predicted. Cor blimey......
  • Mental stuff. If I looked into it apparently I'd see the back of my head
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It looks like a nice shiny ringed doughnut. Mind you, if I eat any more if those, I'll develop my own personal gravity well. Light can't escape from a black hole and doughnuts can't escape from me. Them be the laws of physics.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Such an utterly pointless event. Wow a picture of material being sucked into a black hole.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Surely all space exploration is pointless then if thats your attitude?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Such an utterly pointless event. Wow a picture of material being sucked into a black hole.

You belong in a black hole.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There was quite a lot of "people used to think you couldn't take a picture of a black hole cos it doesn't emit light - but we've got lots of countries together and been cleverer than that"

And then it wasn't really a picture of the black hole (because it doesn't emit light), but just stars round the outside.

So I was also a bit underwhelmed.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Such an utterly pointless event. Wow a picture of material being sucked into a black hole.
    You belong in a black hole.

Hahahahaha. love it
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    There was quite a lot of "people used to think you couldn't take a picture of a black hole cos it doesn't emit light - but we've got lots of countries together and been cleverer than that" And then it wasn't really a picture of the black hole (because it doesn't emit light), but just stars round the outside. So I was also a bit underwhelmed.

The detection of gravatational waves by LIGO was amazing, but yesterday was underwhelming.
  • Yeah, I was like, "Where's my front row ticket to the Event Horizon and why haven't I been turned into spaghetti yet?!"
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

• That explains nicely what was expected to be seen in the image.
    I think its a pretty major thing. It confirms that Einstein was right again and that black holes actually exist( it was highly suspected but not confirmed I think?).
    And a lot of the light surrounding the black hole is matter orbiting at a high speed methinks.
  • You man are maddddd. That picture is insane!

They had to synchronise 8 different telescopes using atomic clocks to get that photo! The effect of which was to create a telescope that is effectively the size of the planet!! And they had to be on standby for when the weather was perfect, they needed clear skies in all locations across those continents to do it!

In one evening's measurements, the team produced more data than the LARGE HADRON COLLIDER PRODUCES IN A YEAR.

You can also see the black hole in that image, I don't get what people don't understand about it. That black bit isn't "nothing". That black ring is not nothing, that black ring is the extent of the event horizon around whatever is at the centre of a black hole, and in this instance whatever is at the heart if this black hole is of sufficient mass to create a zone of diameter 7x the distance from the sun to Pluto that nothing is able to escape from.

For bonus marks this photo is of an object 10 million times further away from us than the closest star.

The amount of mind hurting extremes that that photo represents is crazy, and its wasted on people crying because they want a 1080p photo or something.

It's also super cool that when they talk about this black hole they have to use language like "this is the best evidence we have for the existence of black holes." Imagine being able to see something that takes everything we know about the universe and gets so weird with it that we don't actually know if these things are even what we think they are because they seem to break rules of the universe as we understand them.

ITS ONE OF THE LAST GREAT UNIVERSAL PHENOMENON THAT MANKIND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND BEYOND THE VERY BASICS OF WHAT WE SEE IT DOING TO THE OBJECTS AROUND IT AND THIS IS THE FIRST ACTUAL IMAGE OF ONE YOU PHILISTINES MAKE ME SICK, ETC.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Meh. It looks like a donut.
    fum1rwp.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Or a well travelled Uranus.

Sorry. Someone had to.
  • Roujin wrote:
    You man are maddddd. That picture is insane!

They had to synchronise 8 different telescopes using atomic clocks to get that photo! The effect of which was to create a telescope that is effectively the size of the planet!! And they had to be on standby for when the weather was perfect, they needed clear skies in all locations across those continents to do it!

In one evening's measurements, the team produced more data than the LARGE HADRON COLLIDER PRODUCES IN A YEAR.

You can also see the black hole in that image, I don't get what people don't understand about it. That black bit isn't "nothing". That black ring is not nothing, that black ring is the extent of the event horizon around whatever is at the centre of a black hole, and in this instance whatever is at the heart if this black hole is of sufficient mass to create a zone of diameter 7x the distance from the sun to Pluto that nothing is able to escape from.

For bonus marks this photo is of an object 10 million times further away from us than the closest star.

The amount of mind hurting extremes that that photo represents is crazy, and its wasted on people crying because they want a 1080p photo or something.

It's also super cool that when they talk about this black hole they have to use language like "this is the best evidence we have for the existence of black holes." Imagine being able to see something that takes everything we know about the universe and gets so weird with it that we don't actually know if these things are even what we think they are because they seem to break rules of the universe as we understand them.

ITS ONE OF THE LAST GREAT UNIVERSAL PHENOMENON THAT MANKIND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND BEYOND THE VERY BASICS OF WHAT WE SEE IT DOING TO THE OBJECTS AROUND IT AND THIS IS THE FIRST ACTUAL IMAGE OF ONE YOU PHILISTINES MAKE ME SICK, ETC.

I still don't understand th picture.

1. I think it is a constructed picture. It's what you would see if it was possible to see the black hole

2. I don't know if the halo is the accretiondisk. It only looks like a disk because the light is bent by the strength of the gravity apparently.

3. A heavy object should bend light in towards the gravity, in my book (at least when I imagine a heavy ball on a tarpaulin, I see stuff bending towards the ball, not away)

4. So is the dark area bigger than it appears in the pic or what?

5. Is the accretion disk on a plane? All the artists impression show a plane, then they show the hawking radiation going "up'" and "down". If black holes are in fact a bit "flat" as a phenomenon (like a solar system) are we seeing the black hole "from the top"? Or is the artist impression merely illustrating a concept that is going on all over the place (ie in every direction),

6 in which case, the accretion disk is more like a sphere. So how can we see the event horizon at all?

Welcome to ozno ecience

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    You man are maddddd. That picture is insane! They had to synchronise 8 different telescopes using atomic clocks to get that photo! The effect of which was to create a telescope that is effectively the size of the planet!! And they had to be on standby for when the weather was perfect, they needed clear skies in all locations across those continents to do it! In one evening's measurements, the team produced more data than the LARGE HADRON COLLIDER PRODUCES IN A YEAR. You can also see the black hole in that image, I don't get what people don't understand about it. That black bit isn't "nothing". That black ring is not nothing, that black ring is the extent of the event horizon around whatever is at the centre of a black hole, and in this instance whatever is at the heart if this black hole is of sufficient mass to create a zone of diameter 7x the distance from the sun to Pluto that nothing is able to escape from. For bonus marks this photo is of an object 10 million times further away from us than the closest star. The amount of mind hurting extremes that that photo represents is crazy, and its wasted on people crying because they want a 1080p photo or something. It's also super cool that when they talk about this black hole they have to use language like "this is the best evidence we have for the existence of black holes." Imagine being able to see something that takes everything we know about the universe and gets so weird with it that we don't actually know if these things are even what we think they are because they seem to break rules of the universe as we understand them. ITS ONE OF THE LAST GREAT UNIVERSAL PHENOMENON THAT MANKIND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND BEYOND THE VERY BASICS OF WHAT WE SEE IT DOING TO THE OBJECTS AROUND IT AND THIS IS THE FIRST ACTUAL IMAGE OF ONE YOU PHILISTINES MAKE ME SICK, ETC.

Meh
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    There was quite a lot of "people used to think you couldn't take a picture of a black hole cos it doesn't emit light - but we've got lots of countries together and been cleverer than that" And then it wasn't really a picture of the black hole (because it doesn't emit light), but just stars round the outside. So I was also a bit underwhelmed.

The detection of gravatational waves by LIGO was amazing, but yesterday was underwhelming.

I can only think that you don't actually understand what happened. Until yesterday black holes were theoretical

Yes everybody took them for granted, and assumed they existed, but not until now has it been shown. So it really is pretty momentous, unfortunately we've become desensitised because they were sexy and so Hollywood
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Rouj and ninja have this

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!