Looking at faraway stuff
  • Beyond an ever-decreasing horizon to the observable universe, I wonder what this will mean long term (trillions of years and more).
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Cold, dark and exists forever. Hard to say as weird things happen at limits. Forces can couple/decouple at extremes and if the energy in space vacuum gets really low some other effects might kick in to mix things up a little. Looks bleak though.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tbf thermodynamics always predicted it was going to be a bit glum as the entropy increased, so this goes way back.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cold, dark and exists forever. Hard to say as weird things happen at limits. Forces can couple/decouple at extremes and if the energy in space vacuum gets really low some other effects might kick in to mix things up a little. Looks bleak though.

That's what I understood as the current line of thinking (I recall ideas like big crunch and a cyclical model were ruled out of favour about 20yrs back when they discovered accelerated expansion in the first place). 

Since we dont know what dark matter/energy are and what role DE plays in expansion, its still open as to what the acceleration does long term? And what about proton decay and whether the cold dark future universe will be a barren one to boot.

Should be great conditions for running Crysis though.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Cheers SG wil look at those again, I think some new stuff stays less in my head as old stuff was there longer. It's bad but human
    I thought you might like this. Special relativity is really quite simple to derive, just remember small t is your time and Tau is their time. And that really is it. All special relativity is just the time dilation, gamma. Everything else comes from this. You can see that the speed limit of the Universe is a simple consequence of geometry, or more precisely Pythagoras. As v approaches c, gamma tends to infinity and a person moving at the speed of light is frozen it time. speed = dist/time means that they are essentially going infinity fast, for them, and they can travel any distance in zero seconds. Although the derivation is easy the consequences of Pythagoras can be a little harder to wrap your head around. It's quite staggering how everything ties together, and when Maxwell united magnetism and electricity this weird constant popped out, and that was c. How can a Universal constant be a speed when all intertial frames are the same? Speed relative to what? And now we know, it's because of right-angled triangles and that speed is the same for everyone, so it really is a constant after all. I try not to dwell on the interconnectedness of all things because it makes me drink too much.
    Are any tits in those videos?
    I like tits.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Quantum tits that haven’t been integrated with gravity yet
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A superposition of cup sizes. Mmmm.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Too many times I've seen one up and one down, I shouldn't judge but bozz-eyes make me queasy, bozz-wabs equally so
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Let’s not get started on Spin
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Degenerates.
  • New Horizons data continues to suprise. The latest research from a team in Japan suggests there is a liquid ocean under the ice of pluto in a particular area the sputnik planitia basin.
  • I guess this can go here.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The one good thing about Trump is he threw a bunch of money at NASA.
  • Wasn't that for SPACE FORCE?
  • I think the details were slightly glossed over when a NASA guy told him he was better looking than Kennedy.
  • Hubble took an insanely detailed look at Andromeda. 

Just this crop of the full image is 1.5 billion pixels and it's zoomable, meaning you can actually see the individual stars. 

It gives quite a good idea of the mindblowing scale of just one galaxy.

https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic1502a/zoomable/
  • That's a insane picture. So many stars so many possibilities. The scale of individual galaxies is mind blowing never mind there are billions of them in the universe.

If I was born 1,000 years from now and we had research vessels that went out and explored the milky way, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. Space is fascinating.

Love this dialogue from Q Who episode when Q is talking to Picard.

"Picard, you are about to move into areas of the galaxy filled with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul!"
  • Thats amazing. I wonder - the brightest star in that image (below centre in the field). Is that a near-field (Milky Way) star or a particularly luminous one in Andromeda? Surely not a supernova?
  • All the big stars are Milky May. It's only those dots that are Andromeda stars.
  • just checked and yeah, you have to zoom to see the Andomeda ones. All those visible without zoom are Milky Way.
  • Gives a good sense of the different colours at fool zoom. Blue, white, yellow, orange, red. Our own Sun is fairly bog standard white, although it looks yellow through our atmosphere (the blue bit is scattered to colour the sky). I think the highest intensity is in green iirc, but it's white as a whole.
  • Cool thats more like it. Basically the ones with more blur slightly above the grass.

Impressive achievement.
  • The full downloadable image is 4.3 GB. I'd kill for a wall-sized pic of it in the flat.
  • On the entire ceiling.
  • Another thing that gets me about the M31 image is this (assuming Ive read it properly):

Within a galaxy, the average distance between stars is enormous relative to their size.
    But for galaxies, the average distance between galaxies is smaller, relative to their size.

So if you could zoom out to a supercluster chain scale image, each dot representing a galaxy would be closer together than those star dots.

Have you ever read this, SG? Wonder if it only applies on certain distance scales. Daunting either way. Images (presumably simulations) of the fractal web of chains and voids are utterly jawdropping and probably go some way as to illustrate why cosmology of geometries might be real?
  • Yeah the relative distances of galaxies is smaller, but then again as you point out the relative dist between Suns is huge.

There's a vid somewhere......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSIXLIzhzk&t=344s

And the clusters have an even smaller relative size, then at supercluster level it's more like tendrils that are linked together. 

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/680684/broader_universe_structure.0.png

Basically though, the Universe is uniform in all directions from everywhere in the Universe. The first thing I learnt at uni was that the Cosmos was homogoneous and isotopic. Cosmologists tend to treat it as a gas of galaxies when they're dealing with the maths.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Silly question but how does it relate to the relative distance between atoms, and then sub-atoms. Just I'd expect space to be bigger than matter, and if galaxies are closer than stars, I wonder if that extends downwards further
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Well they're unrelated due to differing forces being at work, and the Universe is accel expanding anyway so any coincidence would be temporary and never to be repeated. Atoms are mostly fuck all though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's what I was thinking, because atoms are like almost nothing, just orbits, much like stellar systems and galaxies, the matter (planets) are tiny compared to the space they take (orbits), I just imagined it could all be scaled up and down accordingly

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!