Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    My worry isn't the elections, its if some bunch of nutjobs decide to have a mini January 6th and it sparks a fire across the US.

I’d say this possibility has receded a bit today. Not totally, but a bit.
  • Pennsylvania is interesting.
    The vote divide between man and woman has the Reps winning by male voters and Dems by female by almost the same swing.
    It appears young women came out to vote specifically on abortion law.

Although there are some other aspects that are anti Fox news hype cycle. The winner didn't do TV instead focussing on going county to county to meet people face to face.

Looks dare I say it like what democracy should be.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Re: potential 2024 vote shenanigans:

Huge implications for 2024 election integrity w/Ds winning governorships in PA/MI likely WI and possibly AZ. Considering Kemp in GA has staked his image on upholding vote, that would potentially keep election deniers from governorship in all 5 Trump 16/Biden 20 states.

https://twitter.com/RonBrownstein/status/1590230576174632960
  • Not currently looking good for Lauren Boebart.
    That is good news. Hopefully she will be hoofed out.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not currently looking good for Lauren Boebart.
    That is good news. Hopefully she will be hoofed out.

I will happily pray to her God that happens. Nut job.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Her and Marjorie Taylor Green. Is she up for election too?
  • Her and Marjorie Taylor Green. Is she up for election too?

She was and she was a runaway winner

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-georgia-us-house-district-14.html

Fuck you Georgia..
    SFV - reddave360
  • Her and Marjorie Taylor Green. Is she up for election too?

I swear those two people are some of the most abhorrent of the lot of them.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Down to the wire for the senate. My gut tells me the Dems won't be lucky here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most places still seem to be calling the senate for Democrats. Republicans had to flip one seat, so far they’ve flipped zero and lost one. Democrats only need to win two of the four seats yet to declare, Republicans need three.

It feels like Dems will take the senate to me.
  • As long as Trump enjoys losing again
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Down to the wire for the senate. My gut tells me the Dems won't be lucky here.
    They only need 2, and are ahead in Georgia and Arizona, so hopefully they've done enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Georgia’s going to a run-off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, fuck you, gut!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Before and after photos at Lauren Norbert’s Boebert’s [although I like the autocorrect] election party:

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1590212487567187968
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Most places still seem to be calling the senate for Democrats. Republicans had to flip one seat, so far they’ve flipped zero and lost one. Democrats only need to win two of the four seats yet to declare, Republicans need three.

It feels like Dems will take the senate to me.

Actually, I’ve just realised that a Republican has won Alaska, it’s just not been called by some as we don’t know which Republican won, so that means there are three races remaining and whichever part wins two of them will have control of the senate. Still, it will mean that Republicans require two flips while Dems just need to hold any two of the three.
  • Arizona is gonna be Democrat.

Georgia is anyone's guess, depends where the libertarian's votes go and how much the democrats can be energised to vote again?

Nevada looks R to me, lots of postal votes to count but it's a biggish lead to overcome.

So all down to Georgia.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s currently only a difference of 15K votes in Nevada with 165K still to count. I’d not call it yet, personally.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-elections/nevada-senate-results
  • yeah fair enough late counting seems to favour dems mostly
  • The main positive here is that regardless of how things end up sitting the red wave hasn't happened. Even better it has been the particularly ghoulish MAGA candidates that have lost out most. The distancing from Trump by Reps has already begun.

It still migth leave the Reps with the House and maybe the Senate, probably a Rep President in 2024 and its not like the Dems are considerably better. This alt-right grift appears to be running out of steam.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    yeah fair enough late counting seems to favour dems mostly

THATS HOW THEY DO THE STEAL!!
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The main positive here is that regardless of how things end up sitting the red wave hasn't happened. Even better it has been the particularly ghoulish MAGA candidates that have lost out most. The distancing from Trump by Reps has already begun. It still migth leave the Reps with the House and maybe the Senate, probably a Rep President in 2024 and it's not like the Dems are considerably better. This alt-right grift appears to be running out of steam.

What I take from this is that Biden is under-rated, as well as Trump (and Trumpism) over-rated. The reality continues to be that Trump sells media, so still gets an inordinate amount of attention (inordinate = because his picks, as if he were actually relevant, got fucked) and Biden, who's mostly a boring capable president, doesn't so there's this vacuum of information about him, positive or negative - but success is measured in clicks these days, so he's seen as unsuccessful despite actually passing a bill of some substance
  • Warnock won in a run off last time, so there's reason to hope there.

With Nevada, the most populous counties, Clark and Washoe both have around around 12 and 14% left to count. These are where the majority of the votes will be, they lean towards Democrats anyway, and mail in votes skew heavily Democrat. 8 of the remaining counties which are Republican are at 95%, the others are around 90% bar 2. These are all much smaller as well.

This doesn't mean that Nevada will definitely go blue, but it's certainly not over.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    The main positive here is that regardless of how things end up sitting the red wave hasn't happened. Even better it has been the particularly ghoulish MAGA candidates that have lost out most. The distancing from Trump by Reps has already begun. It still migth leave the Reps with the House and maybe the Senate, probably a Rep President in 2024 and it's not like the Dems are considerably better. This alt-right grift appears to be running out of steam.
    What I take from this is that Biden is under-rated, as well as Trump (and Trumpism) over-rated. The reality continues to be that Trump sells media, so still gets an inordinate amount of attention (inordinate = because his picks, as if he were actually relevant, got fucked) and Biden, who's mostly a boring capable president, doesn't so there's this vacuum of information about him, positive or negative - but success is measured in clicks these days, so he's seen as unsuccessful despite actually passing a bill of some substance

I'll try and find the article, but according to exit polls, people who are not happy with Biden voted Democrat by more than would be expected
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think the attack on abortion rights likely played a pretty big role here as well. My feeling is that the republicans overplayed their hand to try and push through unpopular policies around this and are now paying a price for it.
  • Here it is.

First, President Biden’s job approval among voters was higher than among the public. Exit polls gave Biden a 44 percent job approval, about 2 points higher than the major polling aggregators’ averages. That difference alone would have tempered my predictions.

But that wasn’t the main factor. Instead, Democrats did something no one has done in decades: Do well with voters who somewhat disapprove of the president. I noted the importance of this group in a summertime column, writing that since 2006, the president’s party has lost this group by 20 points or more in every midterm House generic ballot exit poll. On Tuesday, Democrats won among this demographic by 4 points, according to exit polling.

Both of these factors combined to add a few points onto what I estimated for Democrats’ vote share. Instead of losing by 5.5 percent, the exit polls suggest they will lose it by about 2.5 percent — right at the polling aggregators’ average for the generic congressional ballot. At that level, predicting a GOP Senate gain of one or two seats would have been the right call.
  • That's what I meant by 'under-rated': as in pollsters and media politicos all saying "he's old no-one likes him and he'll lost votes". Two counters: first, people do like him more than the pollsters say; second, he's not as much as a vote-loser as politicos say. That's under-rating.

I'm no fan! I'm just saying that Cummings is right once or twice a decade, and Washington / Westminster bubbles are very real and boringly wrong too often. Hilariously of course because he's Cummings, he ignores his own wisdom on this because it doesn't suit his politics, and frequently berates Biden for being useless and unpopular. Oh well!

Of course it is more than one thing: Yoss is right that abortion rights particularly in states where it was on the ballot would drive dem voting.

But the ultimate sign of Biden being under-rated is how few people are talking about "his" mid-term results, seen as judgement on presidency rightly or wrongly, are about the best any first term president has had for...how long? better than trump's obviously, better than Obama, better than bush, better than Clinton? Need to dig out some stats....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    But the ultimate sign of Biden being under-rated is how few people are talking about "his" mid-term results, seen as judgement on presidency rightly or wrongly, are about the best any first term president has had for...how long? better than trump's obviously, better than Obama, better than bush, better than Clinton? Need to dig out some stats....

I’ve seen a few people mentioning Bush’s midterms after 9/11 as having been better than this, although I’ve not checked figures myself.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!