Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Right - world changing event which would absolutely favour incumbents fair enough.

As I say I don't particularly like Biden's history or politics, but he's more effective than given credit for (economic figures are excellent, taking into account how much a President can impact them) - and I also agree that the alt-right (let's call it what it is: dumb people's fascism) seems to be fading. Tea party, Trumpism...what's next
  • Yeah I read something yesterday that said this is the best since 2002 where the nation was gripped by 9/11, a bizarre time.
    Other than that you could set your watch by the mid term pendulum swing. I think possibly some point in the 90s might have been similar to this but not identical.
  • Considering the state of the economy (inflation etc) it's clear that Biden and his congress / house have done at least an OK job, call it grudgingly accepting that centrism has worked for them for now?

It's actually making me consider things a little. Perhaps a sudden shift to progressive policies requires that sudden shock (WW2, Great Depression etc), as indeed sudden shifts to authoritarian Govs. In more 'normal' times, you have to slowly move that overton window, as the window has slowly moved right, it needs to be gently pulled left? You can build on these kinds of centrist successes (gotta be in power to achieve anything etc), can lean more progressive...perhaps the greatest failure of centrists like Blair and Brown is that they got scared of jaded electorate, loud opposition, and caved and tacked right as a defence, rather than pushed left and stayed the course in attack?
  • goddamn it praising centrists I blame monkey
  • Progressive candidates have had some of the greatest success though. Biden might be a centrist old fuck, but the candidates people have been voting for here are certainly not all that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    goddamn it praising centrists I blame monkey

Are you still going to crucify me any time I mention incremental improvements?
  • if words could kill
  • Progressive candidates have had some of the greatest success though. Biden might be a centrist old fuck, but the candidates people have been voting for here are certainly not all that.

Right, but wary of cause and effect etc but imagine if Biden had failed more, failed harder, or been 'too progressive' and therefore potentially more toxic to the general electorate - those progressive candidates would have found it harder. It's like centrist platform for progressive people. just musing, like, maybe everything is just random chaos and who the fuck knows what the crazy bastards who vote will go for next; maybe it's a continuing push by younger people to get more progressives elected and nothing to do with Biden's captain sensible routine dunno

BUT I'm musing
  • The most interesting part of my musing FOR ME is the idea that centrism fails not because of its moderateness, its sensibleness (which translate, in a progressive's mind, to cowardice, too much compromise, not achieving enough etc) inherently, but because the platform of wide electoral appeal it generates is not taken advantage of by progressives (who would rather spend their time bickering about how lame the centrists are), and instead, in a defensive manoeuvre to stay in power, it pivots to try and continue appealing to people more on the right where the direct attacks are coming from
  • Funkstain wrote:
    goddamn it praising centrists I blame monkey

Me and Funk now best pals. Full on centrist a go-go confirmed
    SFV - reddave360
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The most interesting part of my musing FOR ME is the idea that centrism fails not because of its moderateness, its sensibleness (which translate, in a progressive's mind, to cowardice, too much compromise, not achieving enough etc) inherently, but because the platform of wide electoral appeal it generates is not taken advantage of by progressives (who would rather spend their time bickering about how lame the centrists are), and instead, in a defensive manoeuvre to stay in power, it pivots to try and continue appealing to people more on the right where the direct attacks are coming from

I'd argue that, at least looking at the UK and the US, the centrists do everything in their power to block progressives from getting on the ballot, so there are few to push policy decisions within the party, and the centrists assume they have the vote of progressives because 'lol where else you gonna go?' and instead tack to the right to try and get the votes of people who will never vote for them no mater how far right they go.
  • Yeah absolutely that happens - that is what I mean by the misuse of the platform gained, I was just spreading the blame for that around a bit. But yes there’s certainly a lot of “this is my platform now bog off you hippy”, and the tacking to the right is a fool’s errand. But in the end with ‘proper’ democracy (wherein local groups vote for their own representatives and are given an actual choice rather than parachuted in establishment fuckos) you can get this opportunity to force the sharing of the platform as is slightly happening in us midterms
  • That's why I like the primary system. Even if someone is massively backed by the establishment, a good candidate with a good campaign can beat them, so you aren't stuck waiting for someone to retire or die.

Speaking of which, is John Fetterman going to turn up to the Senate in shorts and a hoodie?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone read about the exit polls suggesting that unmarried women are voting Democrat in significant numbers, while conversely, almost the same proportion of unmarried men are voting Republican

There's been a bit of a clamour over explaining that over there...

I wonder if that holds true over here?
    Though of course, I'm sure the recent fuckeries over the abortion laws have had a significant effect for female voters. The men though, wtf?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It's just men and women.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-elections/exit-polls

Unmarried split was 45/52 for men, and 68/31 for women (Dem/Rep)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Although we’ve all been talking about the senate, it’s not impossible that the Democrats could retain a house majority too.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/11/10/2135096/-Democrats-could-still-win-a-majority-in-the-House-Here-s-what-the-path-looks-like
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Trump starts laying into DeSantis:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1590844668702588928

Palpatine.gif
  • Lovely.

Nevada are doing once a day updates, and Catherine Cortez Masto has gone from being 15k behind to 9k with yesterdays results.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From the NYT’s main pollster:

The path for Republicans to win the Senate is getting... awfully thin, as Democrats post strong showings in mail ballots tonight in Arizona and Nevada.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1590918867856957441
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mail-in is fake. Everyone knows that. Already stolen.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Palpatine.gif
    Trumps done now though. Mayber. If Murdoch has turned against him he’s got nowhere left to broadcast. No friendly outlets left.
  • STOP START THE COUNT!
  • All the best advice seems to be that Trump should delay his announcement to run, maybe shouldn't run at all.
    I look forward to his un-delayed announcement.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Palpatine.gif
    Trumps done now though. Mayber. If Murdoch has turned against him he’s got nowhere left to broadcast. No friendly outlets left.

If he chooses to run, I’m not sure how easily he can be stopped by the party establishment. If he makes it to the debates, then all of the outlets will be covering him.

That may not be enough, he may well be done this time around despite all of this, but I’m keen to see how much damage he can do to the GOP on the way out.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Trump starts laying into DeSantis: https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1590844668702588928 Palpatine.gif
    If he chooses to run, I’m not sure how easily he can be stopped by the party establishment. If he makes it to the debates, then all of the outlets will be covering him. That may not be enough, he may well be done this time around despite all of this, but I’m keen to see how much damage he can do to the GOP on the way out.
    They can twist his primary run how they like. Not amplify his attacks. Focus on DeSantis etc. But yeah I don't know. He might have enough grassroots support now where that doesn't matter.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He's money though. They'll cover him 'cause he gets views and clicks. He might be done, but don't think he won't get air time if he does run again. Also, I'm pretty sure his coverage was mostly negative last time until he secured the nomination. That didn't seem to hurt him.

The only thing that'll stop him is if people have had enough of his schtick, and looking at the turnouts his recent rallies have drawn I think most already have.
  • He's money though. They'll cover him 'cause he gets views and clicks. He might be done, but don't think he won't get air time if he does run again. Also, I'm pretty sure his coverage was mostly negative last time until he secured the nomination. That didn't seem to hurt him. The only thing that'll stop him is if people have had enough of his schtick, and looking at the turnouts his recent rallies have drawn I think most already have.
    My memory was that most of the coverage from the networks was slightly positive until he actually won the nomination. Lots of people thought it was an absolute hoot that he was going to sink the Republicans, all that Jeb! stuff and him skewering a load of suits on the debate stage. I don't think the networks could stop themselves covering him again, I'd just expect the tone to be different.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Dem in Nevada is within 800 votes of the republican:

https://twitter.com/s_golonka/status/1591220509890707456
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Dems hold the House. Best performance by a sitting party in over 20 years. I think it's more of an indictment of the current Republican party than an endorsement of Biden (although he has put through some impressive bills, his approval was still very low).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!