Sins of the Silicon and Console Curios
  • my friend and neighbour had one. Just had burnin rubber.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Of course it did. £99...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • yes. although it won't work on any 'modern' TV.

Binatone-TV-master-MK-6-BlackWhite-TV-game-20141023103126.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you have a VCR kicking about with composite out , then you have the route to ultra retro on modern  TVs.

But you have to face that you really need a CRT if you want it to look "good".
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • woah VCR... probably harder to get hold of than the Binatone itself.

i would like to get a decent CRT, one of those sony pvr monitors or summat along those lines, that will truly make the older consoles shine.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    yes. although it won't work on any 'modern' TV.

I love the switch to select different games. Though they could all be labeled 'Pong' to be fair.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Except for the two shooting games, of course.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Pong-pong! You're dead!

Didn't touch me!
  • Pong and Bang. It’s like … Pang! Oh man, Pang was a brilliant game. Used to have an arcade cab of it in the halls of residence at uni.
  • the football game on there is a wonderful variation on the pong formula. i used to play it all the time with mates when we were at college. 

changing the speed, angles and bat size made for some seriously intense competition! gameplay over graphics yo

34 seconds in

• I liked squash because I had no friends.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The football one with two paddles was excellent (also called Super Pong by Atari)

A Belfast pub (The John Hewitt) used to run Pong tournaments.....this video includes a crash of a Pong machine - given they were based on discrete logic this is very rare. It's a somewhat one-sided affair.

• davyK wrote:
    If you have a VCR kicking about with composite out , then you have the route to ultra retro on modern  TVs. But you have to face that you really need a CRT if you want it to look "good".

Or get an XRGB mini and plug it into your 50" lcd.  DOUbt the light gun would work though.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • that video is intense! 

but slightly disappointed they weren't using turbo and 'small' bats ;)

they definitely have the extra angle on though, fair play
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Except for the two shooting games, of course.

No, I include those. Just a variation on a bouncing projectile like the others.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Six console flops that were actually amazing via Digitalspy.

Agreed with the Nomad (and stuff like the Multi Mega), but Ouya?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Billy wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    If you have a VCR kicking about with composite out , then you have the route to ultra retro on modern  TVs. But you have to face that you really need a CRT if you want it to look "good".
    Or get an XRGB mini and plug it into your 50" lcd.  DOUbt the light gun would work though.

Does an XRGB mini have an RF input?
  • Have we had the renovated all wood neogeos mentioned yet? PHWOAR.

analoguecmvsheader.png
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Oh man it was actually an rf plug on that thing?  Sorry Davy, no it doesn't sadly!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I dunno about the console but i want that stick.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Billy wrote:
    Oh man it was actually an rf plug on that thing?  Sorry Davy, no it doesn't sadly!

ah....pity. Knew the mini had composite in but didn't think it had an RF tuner.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Have we had the renovated all wood neogeos mentioned yet? PHWOAR.

Noice. Bonus points if you can open them up to reveal a stash of cigars.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    More proof for my 'at some point, every electronics company on Earth has had a go at making a games machine'*, the Mattel Aquarius. There's also an Aquarius II, but that apparently reached market in such small numbers, if at all, it's basically impossible to find.

640px-Mattel-Aquarius-FL.jpg

*Alright, so Mattel aren't strictly an electronics company, but some of their toys have electronics in. And the Aquarius is a computer rather than a games machine, but it had controllers available AND SHUT UP I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING.
  • Damn!

I remember Mattel making NES consoles in Europe initially, didn't know about this though. 

Who remembers this monstrosity:

The Commodore 64 Games System (often abbreviated C64GS)
    C64GS-Console-Set.jpg

It was a stripped down C64 with just the ability to play the carts, released in 1990 in Europe (possibly UK?) only to compete with the booming console market dominated by Sega and Nintendo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember the Aquarius in the overcrowded market at the peak of the 8bit micro storm.

Don't remember that C64 based system though.
  • I remember that c64 console. Never saw the point from a consumer point of view - no tape player meant you lost all the good c64 catalogue. If I remember right, amstrad tried the same thing.

Just imagine the poor kid who got that instead of a nes or master system.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hateful joystick, an' all. If you listen carefully, you can probably still hear one clacking through the ages.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I remember that c64 console. Never saw the point from a consumer point of view - no tape player meant you lost all the good c64 catalogue. If I remember right, amstrad tried the same thing. Just imagine the poor kid who got that instead of a nes or master system.

The amstrad thing was a CPC 6128 with a slot for mega drive cartridges which was the best of both worlds, although they did do the gx2000 or similar which was waste of space
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Sure it was a 6128?  That was just the 464's big brother and there's no way in hell it could play Megadrive games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!