ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So maybe not exactly a 6128, but that was the idea, this was the time that I left computers as PCs were difficult to understand what was good or not. Admittedly I also kept buying the wrong consoles so I obviously couldn't tell if they were good either
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Amstrad-GX4000-Console-Set-800x450.png 300px-Amstrad_Mega.jpg

I was thinking of the above console - what a piece of shit. I take it you mean the machine below - Amstard Mega PC or something.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was an Amstrad computer that could play MD games but I think it was a PC clone type gizmo and I believe the MD games didn't play as well as on the console.

edit:oops - just saw the above post. I can remember seeing it in the shops and thinking it was a nice idea but very pricey.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Console curios is a much better topic for this thread. Carry on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    There was an Amstrad computer that could play MD games but I think it was a PC clone type gizmo and I believe the MD games didn't play as well as on the console.

Yup, the Amstrad Mega PC. But it was really just an Amstrad computer with a Mega Drive shoved inside. You couldn't, for example, do some word processing and switch to the Mega Drive app. You had to shut the machine down and turn it back on a Mega Drive mode. Two machines in one box, essentially.

As per usual Japan got the better machine in this regard, the Sega TeraDrive. It was an IBM-made PC which could play MD games without having to reboot. Just like the Mega PC it was all kinds of expensive and sold like a swift knee to the happy sacks.

th?id=OIP.Mf1880a64f39cf7b73154d4acdcc76d56o0&pid=15.1
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Console curios is a much better topic for this thread. Carry on.

Done and done.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I remember the terradrive being announced in mean machines Sega and thinking "wow, this is so future, what can Nintendo possibly do to top this?"

I wasn't the brightest back then.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Does anyone remember the Amstrad Mega PC?

It was a computer that could play Megadrive games. Maybe someone could post a picture...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Does anyone remember the Amstrad Mega PC?

Its price plummeted so quickly, it's a sure contender for that title.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Game_com.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • PAH I see your GAME.COM and RAISE YOU a GAME.COM 2

xH7DQKW.jpg
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Jeebus, I had no idea there was a Game.com 2. How did they get the money to get that project to fruition?
  • It's just the same but with less crap. Like Ngage 2 I guess (QD!)
  • PAH I see your GAME.COM and RAISE YOU a GAME.COM 2 xH7DQKW.jpg

So thats where they got all the 360 dpads from
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wonder why this never became a thing?...

NEC-PC-FX-wController-R.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-FX
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That was a thing, wasn't that the PC Engine, with Bonk and some quality big sprite 2d platformers and brawlers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If you look really closely you can see a panel of plastic that hasn't been over designed.
  • That was the successor to the PC Engine, the PC-FX.

Think it either:
    a) Got crushed by the Super Famicom
    b) Came out too close to the Saturn/PlayStation
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Think it either: a) Got crushed by the Super Famicom b) Came out too close to the Saturn/PlayStation

Combination of both, I think. IIRC it did OK in Japan.
  • I quite like those big old chunky connectors that plug in with a satisfying plastic ‘clunk’. Everything else about that PC Engine successor is horrible though.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Think it either: a) Got crushed by the Super Famicom b) Came out too close to the Saturn/PlayStation

Funnily enough the original PC Engine succeeded on these two points. Namely it showed its superiority over the Famicom and came out early enough to gain traction before the SFC arrived*. Its probably the perfect example of getting everything right for a mid-gen release. Although this was so early the concept of gens probably wasn't a widespread term.

Shame they waited so long to release in the West. By the time they did the Genesis marketing machine was in full swing and calling it TurboGrafx-16 didn't really hide the fact it was just an amazing 8-Bit console.

* edit: I think I remember reading the PC Engine was actually the top selling console in Japan for 2-3 years before the SFC released.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:

Nah. It bricked in Japan too.
    The Wikipedia article is terse, but it's cool.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nah. It bricked in Japan too. The Wikipedia article is terse, but it's cool.

I don't see much of anything about the system's sales in Japan, but given it went through several iterations and got some add-ons it must have done OK.

Regardless, and on the subject of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx and add-ons, the original unit with CD add-on has to rate as one of the ugliest consoles.

764px-NEC-TurboGrafx-16-CD-FL.jpg

The all-in-one unit is much better.

799px-NEC-TurboDuo-Console-wController-L.jpg

Harking back to the discussion about the Mega PC and TeraDrive, the Wiki article also mentions the X1 Twin, which was an X1 computer with the ability to play PC Engine Hu-card games. I bet that goes for a fortune now.

sharp_x1_twin-01.jpg

And the PC Engine multi-tap could go in my 'Nothing new under the sun' thread. It's the spitting image of the GameCube pad adapter for the Wii U.

800px-NEC-TurboGrafx-16-TurboTap.jpg
  • I got very close to investing in that all in one model last year but apparently their not very reliable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Odds on the combo is even worse.
  • Love the look of the jap pc engine. Its so cute and dinky, id have loved it as a kid. The us version is just so bland and ugly.

SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!