Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • My wife filled ours in, think she clicked English and British. She doesn't recall seeing European as an option online.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You could choose more than one answer so i picked British and English
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I’m not pro English explicitly but I was born in England so I just put English down. I feel like British is used generally by people who think “English” has a toxic quality.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hello
  • Also hello. 

To me, saying I'm English has the same connotations as waving the St. George cross around. It feels like the sort of thing that's been co-opted by Nationalists.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • While I totally get that, for the purpose of a census you are technically English. So that's why we put that but also British innit.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I read it more as a "how do you feel" question. Hence didn't tick English. Which kinda made me sad about the UK maybe but being a thing anymore potentially invalidating that option.

I dare say I'll still feel British rather than English tho, who's to say...
  • Populism is an awful thing. You should be able to be proud of your culture and your nationality but the use of it as a weapon by some sides in politics is depressing as hell. Sinn Fein doing well with this line over here. Whatever about the policies they propose, I detest the whole "we are the Irish Party" and the use of the countries flag being used as part of the branding. The national flag of a country should not be allowed used by any party or politician.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah someone I watch on Youtube was talking about the flag shagging stuff lately and made a really good point that as an english person, they struggled to identify what english culture actually is. 

They said they identified far more strongly with being from Yorkshire, than any sense of englishness, and that they felt a sense of britishness from being a member of a union of countries working together. 

I don't know if it's something that's specific to England because of how much of our history is basically getting gang banged throughout the ages by a continuing stream of people invading from europe and then the empire and the influx of people coming here from overseas that regional identity feels much stronger than national identity, or what, but I think they had a point. 

I certianly feel more British than I do English, I would also add European as well, but that it what it is now. I've sat and thought about it and I can't really put my finger on what Englishness is? What is our national identity? It's basically getting pissed up at the weekend, losing in the world cup, losing at tennis and then laying claim to large cooked breakfasts and fish and chips and boasting that Tikka Masala was invented here, I guess throw in spitfires, the world cup, and anything else from the first half of the 20th century we used to be good (but definitely massively exploited people to achieve) at because it's been lionised so hard to everyone when they do history at school ever since.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I think too much is pinned on the national identity. I have way more in common culture wise with a guy from Hungary who has lived in Dublin for 10 years than an Irish man living down in Kerry. There is lots I love about Irelands culture but there's also loads I don't dislike but I don't identify with either. So broad strokes for the national stuff (and even then, go lightly) and I do feel your own local area is likely to have a bigger impact, especially if you are still in an area you grew up in.

On the English question, it's worth looking at how America sees you - its very much English and England first and not British. And despite the best efforts of Farage and his like, there is a lot to be proud of. It shouldn't be dictated by politics and individuals, rather how a community acts over history.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think English culture is pretty identifiable really, class awareness, politeness, not wanting to make a scene, a lack of directness that comes from that, a strong sense of fair play (albeit a misplaced one when it comes to foreign policy), satire, sarcasm and innuendo (again linking back to that lack of directness), a certain level of stoicy, I could probably go on.

The reason that it has become a bit less clear is that after the act of Union there was a conscious decision to talk about British culture rather than English culture in an attempt at creating a more cohesive national identity.

Of course, what this really meant is that Englishness became pretty much synonymous with Britishness which meant that this managed to fail at creating a unified national identity and also served to kind of erase Englishness as an identity, which wasn’t really helped by racists claiming all of the symbols of Englishness back in the 70s.
  • Morris dancing and pearly Kings. Also jellied eels.

Done.
  • I refuse to think about national identity any more.
  • Yeah I kind of refuse to think about having an identity much beyond my local area, family, myself. A sense of unique culture is interesting but not worth investing in too heavily or trying to protect at the expense of the benefits you get from opening up. I'd like cultures to go the way that music is going, i.e. genres dissolving into a vast and glorious spread of subtle and barely definable movements, all borrowing from each other and having a basis in personal expression rather than convention. No hard boundaries.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I just put Other and None.

Yossarian wrote:
    I think English culture is pretty identifiable really, class awareness, politeness, not wanting to make a scene, a lack of directness that comes from that, a strong sense of fair play (albeit a misplaced one when it comes to foreign policy), satire, sarcasm and innuendo (again linking back to that lack of directness), a certain level of stoicy, I could probably go on.

That's a pretty middle-class outlook in my experience, and because of all our Keiths and Karens I'd say a frequently false one.

English culture's splintered to reflect the projections of disparate parties, the splintered arse itself liable to be our truest reflection. Not having a pop at you, dude, I'm just a big old anti-nationalist these days.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It definitely doesn’t hold true for everyone in the country, but then, did any national culture ever do so?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    As the world gets smaller we increasingly realise the ridiculousness of foreign stereotypes, while simultaneously wanting to cling onto the positives from ours.

Spitfires over Dover firing at Gaultier's onion bike.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I dunno. I think if you’re raised in a country you’re going to be affected by the values held by that culture. This isn’t meant in a positive or negative, just in an it is what it is way.

My French ex was constantly exasperated by English people’s unwillingness to say what they really mean, but then the level of directness that she was used to would be considered rude in this country.

And there’s definitely bad stuff that would be part of our culture too, such as a belief in English exceptionalism and a refusal to face up to the legacy of the British Empire.

Things probably are shifting now thanks to us living in a more globalised world, but I still contend that there is an English culture which broadly holds up.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Culture as a thing is somewhat restrictive by its need for definition, where for example it might be easier to find racist football fans in Spain than the UK nowadays (I mean probably not, but run with this), but then also leftwing voters.

With this ongoing (and often beneficial) dilution in mind, being near-exclusively proud of my country for selective deeds is needlessly self-limiting, as well as an invitation for others to take pride in all our shite (which of course many do anyway). I'd be okay with national pride if we were ready to accept our disgraces in tandem.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not arguing this from the point of taking pride in anything particularly, just that I think that there is an identifiable English culture that exists.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd agree we've identifiable class cultures, but from inequality lack a unified one.

There's been some noise recently about the authenticity of the Blitz spirit, since doubts have grown over the continued promotion of our assigned culture. The implication (or at least known reception) that such traits are white.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s definitely not unified, but again, I doubt any national culture ever has been.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    For sales they have. Paris; Buck Palace...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s definitely not unified, but again, I doubt any national culture ever has been.

Bit circular what what

Escape is right - there's a class-based "English" culture, which differs even regionally. You're talking about what you know: middle class white London / south east. That diffidence and humblebraggery and "ironic sense of humour" and fair play and all that performative shite. it's what I know too. It gets short shift in other parts of the country even where there is shared class origin - it gets shorter shrift around different classes, both above and below.

It's bullshit. National "identity" is something foisted upon us to make us feel better about our shared history and current culture. It comes from the same people: white middle class BBC and broadsheet press and so on.

It's partially this false identity being relied upon, which aided Brexit "get out of Islington".

It's poisonous and nothing to be proud of, in my view
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Still not sure where the pride part of the argument comes in, that’s not something I’ve been arguing.

And yeah, I expect that most national cultures in most countries will be mainly defined by the middle classes, they’ll be the ones with the loudest voices.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose looking at other countries with this sort of thing is instructive. US gun culture is pretty much inconceivable to us over here, but it’s ingrained over there. And yes, I know that majorities would like stricter gun control laws, but there’s still a very sizeable majority who oppose banning handguns.
  • Out of curiosity, what do you see if you turn that lens on Scotland? Because from here it feels like Scotland does have a stronger sense of self-identity. Pragmatism, gallows-dark humour, and a welcoming attitude seem pretty consistent across classes and regions. There’s also the ease of comparing ourselves in opposition to England – talking about what we’re not is easier than defining what we are. And there’s the casual swearing. That’s a common thread too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, that all sounds about right to me, but it’s a bit harder to clearly define from where I’m sitting owing to the whole English/British conflation which no doubt nicked some bits from Scotland, and the fact that I’ve not spent a huge amount of time in Scotland to parse this for myself.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Changing topics, this put a smile on my face (NSFW).

https://twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/1373955427998826496
  • *two thumbs up*
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!