Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Going back to the original Census question.

I put English. I was born in England and have never lived anywhere else. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

I didnt read the question as identifying really, not sure there is anything about me that means I should half coopt another nation's culture because I dont like our government.

The British answer I saw as an option for people whose situation is much less clearly defined.
    My dad for example would probably have put English on the past few Census.
    However if you roll back to the 80s and prior his situation was much less defined.
    Scottish mother, English father, born in Singapore, grew up on various RAF camps around there world before joining up himself at the first oppurtunity and even when those camps were in England the community and schools were full of people just like him.
    For the first 30 odd years of his life he was definitely British but certainly couldn't be pinned to one of the four nations. There are 1000s like him out there.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I didnt read the question as identifying really

But that's exactly how it was put. The previous question covered our birth countries.
  • Still don't really see how someone can identify as a nationality they don't have ties to.

Seems a bit appropriationy to me.

If you have a background that has resulted in strong upbringing or time spent across two or more British nations or a background ties I described above then yeah. Born in England for example but to a strong Irish family sure. Etc etc.

Being born in Peckham but decided you like square sausage and not Boris Johnson doesn't make you Scottish.

Its a bit cringe.
  • Its all very white people with dreadlocks.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Still don't really see how someone can identify as a nationality they don't have ties to.

Seems a bit appropriationy to me.

If you have a background that has resulted in strong upbringing or time spent across two or more British nations or a background ties I described above then yeah. Born in England for example but to a strong Irish family sure. Etc etc.

Being born in Peckham but decided you like square sausage and not Boris Johnson doesn't make you Scottish.

Its a bit cringe.

Why are you thinking it has anything to do with people wanting to put a nationality they dont have ties to? Your 3rd para is precisely why this question exists.

Its also true that some people identify themselves as solely British, solely one of the constituent nations, or as both.

I put British and English because it depends on the context, but I feel both.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I took that question as an invitation for those born here who identify as Other to voice it, to count alongside majority aligners. I'm pretty sure Lennox Lewis would say Jamaican > British > Canadian. Or in my case, nowhere.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The question was "How would you describe your national identity?"

I'd feel "cringe" describing it as English right now. Oddly I might say I'm "from London" or "from England", but if anything think "English" has been appropriated away from me.

And I am British, so suggesting I'm stressing out seems a bit... weird?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Surely a question about how I choose to identify my nationality has no need for debate. It’s literally my opinion they are asking. There isn’t a follow up question asking me why and no one gets to tell me my choice is wrong.
  • Since you’re talking about nationality … Isn’t it telling, for a government desperate to promote the value they place on the union, that they called this the UK Census and then omitted Scotland?
  • The United Kingdom Census hasn’t happened up here. There’s a plan to do a separate Scotland Census next year.

Separating them seems an odd choice to make when the gov are trying to promote the union. Sends the wrong message.
  • I believe the scottish parliament moved their census to next year quite sensibly so that that data would be reflective of people's actual quality of life, unlike here where how shit everything is can be conveniently blamed on it being the pandemic year whenever people don't like what the data is telling them about how shit of a job the conservatives have done running the country for the last decade.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Huh. Apparantly there are actually 3 different census - England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. The Scottish one is run by the Scottish Government, so it was them who postponed it.

Quite why the England and Wales one is called the United Kingdom Census is beyond me.
  • My guess it's because originally the census covered all nations at the same time and is managed by the ONS for the government, and then because of devolved powers to Scotland and Northern Ireland their parliaments now have control over them, and we just never bothered changing the name because that would imply we lost something and we can't be seen to be weak, or these bloody colonies will all start getting uppity and wanting name changes and us to like restore their old flags and shit and bally ho wiffle waff bluhbluhbluhbluh three cheers for england and st george god save the queen what what.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • If the form straight asked me where I'm from, I'd answer England, or that I'm English. If the form just presented me with the answers, and assumed I knew the question, I would say English too. Actually there are a lot of ways of phrasing the question that would have me answer 'English', but 'how would you describe your national identity' definitely isn't one of them.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If I had to narrow it down, I identify as someone from a coldish place. Like if I rocked up near Thunderdome and the Lost Tribers were all “Where come handsome man with knowing of things?”, I'd say “Coldland” with the brr sign language.
  • It was very simple for me. If I'm playing football for my country I'm English. If I'm competing at the Olympics I'm British.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Thought this was a Coldwar until it dawned I didn't recognise anyone.

CWS.png
  • Is that the new UK briefing room?
    SFV - reddave360
  • new conservative party background for video calls
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I would put good money on that actually being in Spain.
  • Why though when it says Rangers all over the place? I would hope you’d get good odds!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably Gibraltar. Nobody in Spain drinks San Miguel. Nobody has even heard of Tennents.
  • There's a Rangers bar like that in Tenerife.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It seems shocking to me that anyone would go to the trouble of specially importing piss like Tennents.
  • A quick Google for "Rangers bar Spain".

The place is called Bar None and is in Benalmadena Spain.
  • The reviews are quite the thing.
    Tennets.
    €1 bottles of San Miguel.
    Mince and stovies.
    Anti Catholic sing songs.
    A pair of thumbs with faces that go there every day.

Its got it all.
  • Face on those miserable cunts in the corner.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!