Nioh
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Do you still fall to your death if you go in the water like the first game??
    Yep. @jonb what weapon combo did you use through the game?
    I pretty much just used the switchglaive. I experimented with the hatchets too, but kept going back.

I think the one important thing at the start is getting used to the burst counter move. The timing depends on which kind of spirit you have equipped (brute, phantom, feral). I remember finding it much more difficult with brute.
  • Had a quick go at lunchtime. Figured out what i did wrong. I got free dlc samurai armour that i put on last night forgetring about the impact of its weight on my stamina. Took that off and all is good. Switchglaive is good, like the switching between its sword/spear/scythe form. Still regretting going with dual hatchets. Hopefully i will pick up a kusarigama in the field to try or the tonfas.

Getting back into the rhythm of ki pulses though burst pulses i havent got the rhythm of yet.
  • So many different types of build in this game.

• PC Nioh 2 is £27.99 on CD Keys

Not so bad Haak!
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Im going with the golden scythe (switchglaive) build but gonna add poison arrows to my arsenal and switch my hatchets out for a spear. The spear build video reminded me whily i liked the spear so much in Nioh 1.
  • I think switchglaive scales with magic, so it's a good one to get into Onmyo magic as well. I mainly used a lot buff charms.
  • Got to the first boss. What a bastard. Main cause im still quite underpowered this being the start of the game. I'll get there.

I'll have a look at the buff charms. Enjoying the switchglaive for sure.
  • Is the ki pulse still paramount to victory in the sequel? I liked the mechanic but didn't love it...
  • You need to ki pulse to recover bits of stanina when attacking. Im not the best at it and tend to spam R1 when attacking. Seems to work.

Pulse burst is new and my timing is off. When enemy has a red aura and is about to go into a attack you press R2 and O. Time it right and you phase through their attack. They get stunned and you get a few seconds to do some damage before retreating.

Bloody good game though.
  • Finally took down mezuki (the first boss). Needed a npc summons to help. But he went down.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I was just messaging Tempy: make sure you choose the right Spirit for your burst counter. I can't remember the 3 names, but the Feral is shite, and the one that slides through enemies and can be used as an evade is appealing to begin with, but the other one thats rooted to the spot has the best window and its supremely important you get the timing down early. It'll do wonders later!
  • I think i have the feral one, timing was a bastard against mezuki. Hence i used a companion as cannon fodder to get the job done. The reach of the Odachi sword when a bad guy has it, is deceiving.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I was just messaging Tempy: make sure you choose the right Spirit for your burst counter. I can't remember the 3 names, but the Feral is shite, and the one that slides through enemies and can be used as an evade is appealing to begin with, but the other one thats rooted to the spot has the best window and its supremely important you get the timing down early. It'll do wonders later!

I figured out that I had picked the Bird, which is feral, but I still managed to batter that Mezuki lad first time - I found it fairly intuitive to use the feral burst to trigger the counter. Went into Yokai mode after my third or fourth burst counter and tore him to fucking shreds in a matter of seconds - beeeeeyootiful.

Swapping between regular Katana and Switch Glaive. Prefer my trusty old Katana!
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Sorry i'm drunk so i wiki'd it: 

Brute = Useless
    Feral = Amazing because you can evade huge distances instead of parrying. I did this for way too long.
    Phantom = Choose this. Its a traditional parry timing, the spirit sticks in place, and its essential to learn Burst Counter early.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Prefer my trusty old Katana!

Nioh OG all i played was Katana. But trust me when i say Dual Swords are superior in every single way. Similar moves and skills but waaaay more potent once you spec into Skill.
  • Feral and Phantom are both good options for countering, I think. If you use the evade move of Feral to counter towards opponents, the timing's quite intuitive.

I could never get the hang of Brute either. Too slow.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Curtis wrote:

I figured out that I had picked the Bird, which is feral, but I still managed to batter that Mezuki lad first time - I found it fairly intuitive to use the feral burst to trigger the counter. Went into Yokai mode after my third or fourth burst counter and tore him to fucking shreds in a matter of seconds - beeeeeyootiful.

Swapping between regular Katana and Switch Glaive. Prefer my trusty old Katana!

Tempy is better at boss battles than me. I'd still outsouce my boss battles to Tempy if it were possible. Damn you Sony/MS make this possible!
  • Enenra what a bastard. Just an exercise in patience. God it takes awhile. Got him down to 3rd of his life bar, then made a silly mistake and boom all over.

I'll get there. Just need to be consistent.

Im still somewhat confused about boss battles, stamina bars and their life bars. Maybe a youtube video or two will help.
  • Enenra down. Mezuki was harder imo. Been in the torji gate the past few hours. Helping others. What a game!

Some people just piss the cups up the wall. Get called into the door outside the Enenra boss fight and you walk in and the cutscene kicks off. So the summoner hasnt even fought this boss once and has summoned help. Wtf?!? At least learn the patterns for the fight. Anyway summoner died, not a suprise. But i did get summoned, well 2 of us did to another Enenra fight. The other helper had a spear and that worked really well in the fight. Hmmm...

Anyway gonna carry on with my game but do what i did in nioh1. Complete a level then make myself available online to help someone else complete it.
  • Yatsu-no-Kami (third boss) down. That was a long level. Knackered.
  • Spent a good hour or two banging my head against a boss there. Beat them in the end, but it wasn't an easy ride. I tried some online for the first time, and I don't think it's my bag until I've finished it myself.
  • The snake is apparently one of the more difficult bosses in the game. I had quite a few summons for that boss afterwards.

I have 2 sub missions left in my first region. Both are really tough. Trying to get them done before i move on. I dont do the twilight missions as they are only worth playing if your gonna do NG+
  • I had a fair few goes against the snake, but it was the boss after that took me nearly two hours. Hilariously the boss on the 5th level took me two attempts. Sometimes it just goes.

That said, I have lost so many amarita that I am now 10 levels behind the main mission curve. Whoops!
  • Your further ahead then me in the missions (not got to the boss after the snake yet). The red swords on the mission descriptor change according to your level and gear. Mine are at 4 out of 5 swords now. So i need to do some levelling up to get the difficulty down alittle. Feel underpowered.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Don't try to clear all the side missions before moving onto the next area - some are meant to be hard and re-visited later (and some used to be ridiculously HARD until they got patched/nerfed).
  • Cheers Curtis, didnt realise that. Been struggling with the final two i had left.
  • Predictably I have been clearing them all, some nasty gauntlets here and there.
  • Note to self, read the mission objective before you start. Cleared one of the sub missions in the first region (only one left to do which is the forest, gulp). Stupidly i thought the mission was to clear out all the yokai not find the little purple guys. Took me fecking ages to get through that. I hate the one legged, cyclops with the hammer and the serpent lady. So the mission has 2 x cyclops and 3 x serpant chick. Great.

I'm finding myself sticking to one weapon and ome stance most of the time(middle), which probably isnt helping.
  • Both of those enemies are super susceptible to burst counters - the serpent has one on her gaze and one on where she does a tail flip - both have quite the delay so you need to wait. Hammer guy is the same, big massive attacks for the burst counter.

As for the health bar things - Red is health, Green is stamina, Purple is Yokai stamina. 

Stamina goes down but isn't affected by health loss (I think) whereas Yokai stamina has a cap that slowly goes down as you chip health away. When Human stamina is empty you can usually grapple them or knock them to the floor for a floor grapple. When Yokai stamina is empty, you can stun lock them as long as you can chain together attacks with ki pulses - eventually they'll fall over for the grapple attack.

Good tip on Yokai is if they've got horns, you can break them with overhead heavy stance attacks to do huuuuge stamina damage. Burst counters also drain attacks, and some of the spirit core attacks and elemental stuff do numbers.
  • As for me, I just got to the third area. Skipped one sub mission just cos I wanted see what was happening with the story.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!