Nioh
  • Went back to this for a bit and tried to clear the 3rd boss (snake). In my usual style, I died a million times to the boss last night. Then did it first attempt this morning.

I think this game is great.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is this also the Nioh 2 thread?

I was going to give it a whirl tonight before bed bit I ended up spending half an hour in the character creation bit instead. It's up there with Dragon's Dogma
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've got no clue where I was talking about Nioh 2 last bit it wasn't in the proper thread or here. Dunno where else to check so I'll continue here.

I left if for far too long so going back was always going to be a challenge. I'm in a pretty tough area (I think) called The Viper's Sanctum and it's taken me about two hours to remember how to play, clear it out and unlock all the short cuts. I'm up against a tricky old boss though
    Spoiler:
    . Can't seem to find a good opening to do some damage, the area I'm having to fight in is treacherous too. I might give ranged a go even though it doesn't feel right, I've been introduced to a new ranged weapon and some lore stuff/ghost memories relating to is so I guess it's pointing me in that direction

Made it a bit easier for myself by fully exploring the nooks and crannies. I knew there was one more thing I was missing but I'd managed to walk past it a few times. Means the boss arena isn't so hostile, and I can now get in close to trade blows. Which goes quite well until we go to the nether realm and shit gets real.

Bed time now though

Had another few bashes at the bastard there, no joy. Main issues are that he's got a grab move which is almost a one shot and my Yokai gauge thing seems to charge at random. Sometimes it's ready when I'm in the Yokai realm thing sometimes it's not, dunno why
  • I think it carries over between lives, so if you've used it recently you won't have it again for a while, unless you recall it and build it up before the fight.

Having the right kind of Yokai equipped makes a big difference when doing the Yokai counters in this. The Brute type is really difficult to time. Then again, on the snake I think it's best just to run to the side when it does its nose charge, because it's so deadly if you get it wrong.

I don't remember much else about it. Chopping the arms off is the main thing to make it easier, I think. You run around when it plunges them into the ground, arrive at the body just after they've finished bursting up from beneath your feet, then hack away for a couple of seconds. Maybe.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's what I've been doing, yeah. High stance because I'm not doing enough damage in the small windows otherwise. Killing the arms is vital before you go to the nether as they're a fucker once they're loose. There's a good chance to Yokai counter when he rears up to head slam when in close, but it's so rare in comparison to the tail swipe and grabs that hit hard in that range it's not really viable for me
  • If you get stuck, I can only recommend 3 things:

1. Double check that there’s no side quests you haven’t done. They’re essential for levelling for the main ones.
    2. Summon - be it an NPC of another player, or an actual other player. There’s no shame in it and, with the NPC at least, you’ll get a window to do some damage while it briefly acts as a distraction before inevitably dying.
    3. Git gud (joking ofc). Keep practicing and watch a YouTube video of the boss if you feel you need to. Again, there’s no shame in it if you are enjoying the game and want to keep enjoying it.
  • Oh, there’s a fourth one:

Have a look at your kit and make sure you’re getting some useful status effects from wearing enough parts of a set. Lightening damage is your friend.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    1 Yup, fully side quested up. Over leveled according to the game, although I don't think it makes as much difference as the skills etc. you unlock

2 No summoning for me, I want to do it off my own back

3 I'll look at a video if I'm totally not understanding what I'm supposed to do but I think I'm getting the gist, I'm just not putting it together consistently. I think everything I like about it, the variety of the boss attacks, my options, the ebb and flow of it etc is a blessing and a curse here. The fights aren't very predictable which makes them tough but each go is fresh and interesting

4 Deffo could look at my gear. I'm using electrickery, it's the only magic thingy I have, but I've only really tried the spear up to now. Might give the axe or long sword a go since they should give more bang for my buck in the short windows. Might even look at my Yokai souls to see if I can get something better going. I'm not touching the musket though, phuk dat
  • When you’re looking at gear like hats, chest, trousers, gloves and boots, etc., you can tab across on some items and see that wearing a combination of them (at least 2 of the same set), will give you certain buffs.

The mistake I made initially was to think that cobbling together items was the way to go, when wearing 3 from one set and 2 from the other, will give you some decent extra buffs (often better than wearing 5 from the same set).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I haven't come across many set bonuses. One for feeding health back on a kill, no use in a boss fight. I'll check my inventory. I deffo feel it's just about getting good, I'm sure I've got all the tools just need to execute it
  • Picked up Nioh 2 the other day (£8 with a free PS5 upgrade is rather lovely) and bloody hell it is rather good!

I enjoyed the first one but never finished it. This really does impressively improve on the first. The combat is sumptuous, it looks great and it hits the heights of the souls like genre.

First two missions done. Enenra was tricky but it was a real learning process. Once I worked out I could burst counter into his red attack the fight flipped massively into my favour. On the one I beat him, he only hit me once! Felt incredible!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Returned and felt like I was making progress. Ran into invisible Owl boss - progress stopped :-)
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    My bloody god. "The Sunmata Yokai Hut". The fight at the bottom of the drained lake. Bloody hell. Im knackered. That was relentless.

I thought that mission was utter garbage.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Another 20 or so attempts at snake cunt and I've resorted to googling a strategy for him. And found out it's thought of as one of the toughest bosses in the game, which isn't all that surprising given the nature of the lock on system actually works against you here. Plus it mixes up attacks depending on what damage you've done to what part of him, which isn't always clear. And the couple of attacks which are one hit kills if you're a fraction off full health.

It's an absolute bastard basically, and I know what to do it's just that doing it, consistently, while monitoring three or four of his health/stamina bars as well as my own and keeping track of what phase he's in while switching my stance and going in and out of the Yokai realm etc etc millions of other tiny fucking things that add up to one huge ball ache cunt of a boss.

Last run I didn't manage the arm snakes health bars very well and he did a cheeky early shift into the Yokai realm. I switched into low stance and chipped away at the roaming arms while trying to keep out of harms way, kill the last one only for fuck face himself to charge at me from off screen and kill me without a chance to do anything about it. Didn't even know it was coming
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Done him. Fuck snakes man
  • Done him. Fuck snakes man

Yay
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    51 times the bastard killed me!
  • At the least Yokai power you get from snake man is bloody brilliant!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    PS5 demo for Wo Long (aka Nioh 3) just dropped on the store.
  • Nioh 2 is on PS+ now.

The PS5 version is real nice. Know the 120fps mode had issues at launch as VRR support wasn't out then. But, now it is and i am, some texture and shadow jankery aside, really loving the overall performance. 

And the load screens are fast. As in fast, fast. 2-3 seconds as standard. 

Also, I suck at Nioh 2.
  • I sucked hard at it but was eyeing up on PS+ for later play.  Have added it to the library.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oof. Just had a flashback of that bastard snake boss.

Quality game this, I would love to get back to it but I'll be too rusty
  • I just did snake boss.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    First time what was all the fuss about?
  • 2nd. Think I got lucky though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!