Touchdowns, slam dunks, home runs and slap shots
  • Facewon wrote:
    Clippers look worse. Wow.
    Not big on analytics but the -67/+19 on/off for Harden sure feels like an indicator.
    Likewise the Lakers being outscored by 80 in the 175 minutes LBJ is not on the floor is quite something.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Draymond Green is still in fact Draymond Green at least.
  • There must be some previous with Gobert, it looked targeted.  Possibly annoyed that he got DPOY Draymond felt he deserved?
    Watched the clips nuggets, one team played their best and lost the other did the opposite.  I might be missing something but what's with the Ty Lue media love in?  I know personal play a part but I never watch the clippers and think "fuck they are well coached" unlike a Nurse, Udoka, Spo, Pop etc team.  That offence is brutal to watch

• The consensus has been he's been good in playoffs etc and making game to game adjustments. But that's factoring in a cavs team with lebron, well constructed, and younger version of this clips team.

And yes, there's history with Dray and Gobert. Been a few threads around. Nothing special, usual NBA petty shit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    usual NBA petty shit.
    Cards or woman?

Joe Muzz has been much better this year with a good supporting cast, he is also coming across as less of a dick in interviews

• Celtics bucks was fun game - could tell it wasn’t “just another game“ for both sides.
    Still plenty of questions which will hopefully get a deep dive in a 7 game series - main one for me is how do the bucks defend Celtics wings on the five out?  Tatum and Brown both had enough moments in the first game to suggest the preseason concerns are valid.

• That was closer than I expected and a shitload more points from Lopez than I expected. I'm pretty worried about Khris though.
  • Brooks wrote:
    That was closer than I expected and a shitload more points from Lopez than I expected. I'm pretty worried about Khris though.
    Funny after all the moves the best two players were Lopez and horford.
    khris was really bad on defence

• So I'm 6'6, a couple of guys on my team are my height or taller, and they're nearly all over 6'2. So not short.

But we're grading in VC (Victorian Championship division). Played 6th ranked team. (Who added 4 State team players.)

Got beaten pretty handily last night, shortest guy was my height. All built like tanks too.

We were competitive for a half. And never really put heads down, but man, so tough. 

Director of coaching a dev coach were like anything under a 50 point loss is a success. So 39 points and still being within shouting distance in the third is good.

Once we get bumped down through grading into a level that suits, we're gonna be good.
  • Was it against Washington? Yes, but: 3x over 30 points and the highest was Lopez again. This seems like it shouldn't be possible.
  • Giddey news is a bit icky. for everyone's sake, I'm hoping underage is 17 and 364 days, but suspect it's gonna be a mess.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Giddey news is a bit icky. for everyone's sake, I'm hoping underage is 17 and 364 days, but suspect it's gonna be a mess.
    It's unfortunatly not unusual in sports for this to happen, tough one for onlookers to get your head round - not like these young athletes aren't spoiled for choice but maybe that's the point.
    Yeah, always hope its a matter of days rather than years

• IST has been great so far and the really exciting part has still to come, props to the NBA for coming up with the format.
    Less impressive are the bulls, paying Levine 50m must sting

• I like that we have won all our games.
  • I like we might get a Celtics v. Bucks semi final

• https://youtu.be/VU30jvjLpcA?si=e30kxVAU2t4M18T1

This channel seems worth keeping an eye on. A little slick and if corporate does youtuber humour, but this vid and the follow up about solving basketball are largely on point imo.
  • Spurs are clearly tanking to try abuse the draft system to build a team around Wemby in a few years.
  • Facewon wrote:
    https://youtu.be/VU30jvjLpcA?si=e30kxVAU2t4M18T1 This channel seems worth keeping an eye on. A little slick and if corporate does youtuber humour, but this vid and the follow up about solving basketball are largely on point imo.
    Hated the presentation but really interesting data.  It's a fascinating subject to me, there is something seriously wrong with USA basketball and they are refusing to wake up to it.  It's reminiscent of English soccer in the late 20th / early 21st century, mindset of "it's our game, we have nothing to learn from foreigners".

• The followup talks about how job insecurity for coaches is at the root of some of this and I probably agree? Even if Bud absolutely had to go, and Griffin isn't working out either imo.
  • Could the avoidance of a fast, pass-heavy game just literally be that it's too much work and the players don't feel like it.
  • NBA is very big on the "entertainment" aspect, a pass heavy offence doesn't work for tick Tok / tv viewers.  Was fine for GSW as they already had a marketable superstar who finished off those possessions.

• Welp, I guess they'll just keep getting shown up in international competition then.
  • I think they will, as I said before there's a lot of simlarties between NBA and English Premier League.  Both are going so deep into "entertainment" and paying the most money but its detrimental to the local game.  It's not just the USA, Canada also should have done better at the world championship with the squad they had available (i.e. full of NBA players).

• the coaching angle is clearly part of it. 

Amount of games also part of it. Euroleague is 40 rounds and games are mostly a week apart. (granted, they also play their local leagues, so total games is still close to the NBA 82) 40 minutes vs 48. Meaning they play far fewer minutes and PRACTICE.

Vids probably undersell court size as a factor too. Bigger court and more raw talent at the top makes iso more viable.

The stuff around ball reversals was interesting. I've read in depth on that and previous stuff I've seen has shown a little more diminishing returns on 3+ reversals. this vid and the further things I've read, from memory, the study I'm thinking of mainly tracked college, all agree on 2 reversals and a paint touch being AWESOME. But the vid might have been suffering from small sample size and/or things have changed in recent years around 3+ reversals. 

the logic around the drop off on scoring once you start getting lots and lots of reversals seemed to be basically shot clock plus if D has done a good job, you're possibly on 3+ reversals trying to penetrate and have failed. Not all reversals are cretaed equal.
  • Are the Pacers going to do it? Squeaked over us last month, I expect similar this.
  • Watched both the eastern Conference games and came away feeling quite dispondent about the state of NBA.  It all just feels like a crab shoot for who can hit the most 3s every game.
    Pacers made ludicrous shots against Celtics which doesn't feel very sustainable and some of their defence was horrific.  So, no Bucks to go to the final.

• Welp. I hope the Lakers don't win!
  • Yeah would be cool if Pacers could do it, good start to the tournament to have a franchise without a title winning it.

• Christ they ate New Orleans completely. I hate this.
  • Where does your dislike of lakers come from Brooks?
    I admire it but thought it was just Celtics fans felt this way

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!