Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • What do we reckon. Mistake or sponsored by Chevy?
  • Clearly not an error, there is a spot just before it which has an explosion right by a similar looking car. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't set as far in the future.

Honestly the worst bit about that part of the trailer is that the elite looks like a clunky power rangers monster.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's an alternate history set in 2024 exploring the aftermath of an 8 year Trump presidency.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Clearly not an error, there is a spot just before it which has an explosion right by a similar looking car. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't set as far in the future.

Honestly the worst bit about that part of the trailer is that the elite looks like a clunky power rangers monster.

There's also the AK-47, which reliable as it is, would surely have been updated.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Showrunners have left already which doesn't inspire any confidence. Can see this being completely forgettable.
  • Gremill wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Clearly not an error, there is a spot just before it which has an explosion right by a similar looking car. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't set as far in the future. Honestly the worst bit about that part of the trailer is that the elite looks like a clunky power rangers monster.
    There's also the AK-47, which reliable as it is, would surely have been updated.

What do we reckon mistake or sponsored by Kalashnikov?
  • Well, when you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If they can turn league of legends into a brilliant TV show they can turn Halo into one.
    GT: Knight640
  • I get the feeling that the 30 seconds of fun mantra will be present and correct in the series. However it'll only be 30 seconds in each episode with 59.5 minutes of turgid dialogue, exposition and bad acting making up the rest.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Ah, the walking dead formula
    SFV - reddave360
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I get the feeling that the 30 seconds of fun mantra will be present and correct in the series. However it'll only be 30 seconds in each episode with 59.5 minutes of turgid dialogue, exposition and bad acting making up the rest.

"I touched it...and felt different"

JeeeeeeSUS!
  • I finished the campaign a few days back.  I would say that overall I enjoyed myself but it became a right slog towards the end. 

The open world part was good fun but ultimately rather pointless.  Nothing that you do, has any effect on the world around you or the story.  Other than getting a bit more gear and the help from marines if you want to do that, you could have skipped most of it and it would make no difference to anything.  So I enjoyed it to start with but it became a hollow experience as I continued playing. 

The actual story missions for the most part consistent of getting to an area and following linear paths through buildings.  Clear one room and go the next one where enemies are standing about waiting for you to show up.  Rinse and repeat until you get to a boss.  The bosses and the fights that came with them sucked. Not much more to say about that. 

The gunplay and grappleshot in particular are as slick as you’d expect.  And they raise the game.  Possibly even save the game.  There’s very little invention in Halo Infinite. Once you've done a few missions and completed a few areas, you've pretty much seen everything you're going to see. Thinking back to something like Titanfall 2, where you seem to get never-before-seen gameplay every other level, Halo Infinite was the same, start to finish.  I kept waiting for something spectacular to happen.  Like a ship falling out of the sky that I had to track or something.  Or a building to collapse around me.  But there was none of that.  Just linear corridors with enemies standing about, waiting for you to show up.  The open world sections were much more enjoyable as I was free to provide my own invention. 

I think the whole thing felt dated.  Maybe the back to basics approach was needed for the series but things have moved on in the 20 years since CE appeared.  This felt like a remaster of an old game.  Grappleshot was genuinely great but the other powers were significantly less so.  The speed burst in particular being completely unused until I got to the one boss that it helped with.  Then it went back to being completely unused.  Couldn’t we get a double/triple jump or something?  Or even flight? 

I go about halfway through and was thinking that it was a solid 7, maybe even an 8.  But once I got through the story and battled my way through room after room of enemies standing about, waiting for me to show up, I was looking forward to it ending.  It’s a 6, from me. 

I heard that the Covid crisis screwed the game development over so I’m a bit less critical of the devs and MS as I was when I finished the story.  But considering the resources that the flagship franchise should have access to, it’s a surprisingly plain game.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There are flying vehicles, but yeah I was a bit surprised that there wasn’t a jet pack hidden somewhere in the open world, they had them in Reach and it would have been a nice little secret to find, maybe a Halo: CE pistol somewhere too.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    All fair comments Matt and I guess down the road we could see a lot of those things, I suspect this will be a completely different experience in two or three years time, which seems to be par for the course with live service games. Not excusing or endorsing it, just stating the potential outcome.
  • @Matt  My experience/impressions was very much a mirror of yours I think, a 6/7 out of 10.

Matt_82 wrote:
    The open world part was good fun but ultimately rather pointless.  Nothing that you do, has any effect on the world around you or the story.  Other than getting a bit more gear and the help from marines if you want to do that, you could have skipped most of it and it would make no difference to anything.  So I enjoyed it to start with but it became a hollow experience as I continued playing.

This along with the 'enemies just standing around waiting for you' thing is the biggest problem with pretty much every open world game so far. There's a sense that it's all just static and unlived in until the player activates some procession in the clockwork, and it's very rare for that clockwork to even be that complex. Halo Infinite barely even tried to do anything with its world, at the very least it could have thrown in a few random scripted events, like a counter-assault on a base by a group of marines after you've rescued enough in that area. It was all very static, there was almost zero sense that the enemy you were fighting was a serious organised enemy force that should have been trying to hunt you down.

It's fairly transparently just a big playground for the player as the Chief to do what they like, and not really a coherent and compelling world to fight in, unless you really happen to like the story and characters. There's nothing wrong with this particularly though, it's just that aside from the fun gameplay mechanics there's basically nothing to elevate it above any other typical open world game.

If they could have found a way to dynamically generate the kind of scripted set-pieces that were in the old Halos I think it could have been a far more compelling experience. As it is though there's little that separates this game from a Just Cause.
  • Can't disagree with any of that Matty, that's pretty much where I sit with it. It's a fairly middling open world shooter saved by top notch combat and movement.
  • I loved it but its a terrible open world both in terms of what there is to do and how it fits with the narrative. Loved clambering about on it but that was just because it was fun to see how fast I could scale areas with the grapple. In terms of new ideas, yeah you are pretty much done by the first hour. There's nothing really new in this at all.

But if you dismiss the open world stuff, it's just a really excellent shooter to play and this is what kept me coming back. The mechanics of gunplay and the different ways to approach even basic skirmishes is great fun. As I said before, be it a sequel or dlc, this has the potential to be incredible.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh Holy fuck I think I hit the shite bit of the campaign - having to do
    Spoiler:

Think I'm on the home stretch tho, might be 1/52 by the weekend
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nested spoilers, I think you can safely click the first.

Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I've just
    Spoiler:
    and then had to take C to nursery so that's not the worst.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I missed one section in my nested spoilers above, have added it back in if you clicked past the first one.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I loved those rooms
  • I loved those rooms

So did I! Felt like Arnie in predator moving from weapon point to weapon point to control the swarm.

Defibite highlights for me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • For me, halo is best when it mixes up the enemies and the weapons they have to create different challenges. The boss fights were, by and large, ok to weak with the best all being out doors.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Oh boy the player numbers on Steam are still dropping. I thought it’d stabilise at 30k. But it’s down to a 25k peak. How low is it going to go? I read someone saying the game is on the cusp of being dead before they’ve fixed any of the launch issues and that seems about right. For PC at least. Season 2 is going to be an effort at reanimating a corpse rather than giving the community a little shot in the arm.
    GT: Knight640
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Played a little there now but the rubber banding, desync and freezes are just pissing me off. I've given it three solid months but in the coming weeks there is Lost Ark, Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 of which I want to try - two of which are live service games and I imagine others will try them too. 343 may have had their grace peroid now, might be a dodgy few months ahead for them.
  • I am totally for giving staff time off over the holidays the industry needs more of this.
    However it might not be a good idea to launch your GAAS title right before holiday season.
  • I don't think there's much appetite for this game currently. People are just cracking on with other stuff. Holding back content for months on end isn't gonna go well for 343 they need to get some maps out pronto.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!