Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    20M players since launch.

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1486110124611719181

Of course, f2p, retention questions, etc, still, that’s a pretty big number.

Hahaha. The biggest launch in Halo history is the one that’s free. Seems like such a double edged sword to brandish around all publicly.
  • Although isn’t that about the number of GP subs? If so that’s more or less a 100% dl rate which is great going.

Fuck me, can you imagine the numbers Nintendo would do with their first party stuff if they adopted this model? Basically everyone, I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Nah, nothing to do with GP, that will be including people who got it through Steam or just downloaded the f2p MP.
  • Daily player numbers have dropped pretty massively though. Mainly due to the lack of content and shit battlepass probably but getting them back will be a struggle.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not massively convinced it will. Add in new maps and a new battle pass with improved progression; the game’s still F2P, aside from those who bounced off it for reasons other than getting bored with what’s there, I don’t see why it would be a particular struggle to get others back
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Just had an absolutely brilliant game of Attrition, where we were 1-0 down and I pretty much single handedly won the game 2-1. Starting with this: I love this game

That's intense, thought you were done for there! Nicely executed :)
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Think the core gameplay is too good for the game to die tbh, anything 343 throw at this will encourage visitation from players past and present.
  • Finally finished the campaign (yes, I'm a slow boi)

God damn that was a fun game. It could be so much better but I just had so much fun with it. Highlight of the end run where the 2 arena battles - almost like a siege. That was great. I don't think 343 have even scratched the surface in terms of different missions they could add in terms of dlc.

Best sp Halo for me. Just waiting for the flipping credits to finish so I can get back to the map.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You can safely skip the credits. You probably should too, it seems like most of XGS were pitching in to get it over the line.
  • I don't seem to be able to... ah well, at least the halo music is nice.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Absolute shenanigans tonight, didn't win a single 1 on 1
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I don't seem to be able to... ah well, at least the halo music is nice.

There’s definitely a way. Press buttons and keep an eye on the top right of the screen.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I don't seem to be able to... ah well, at least the halo music is nice.

There’s definitely a way. Press buttons and keep an eye on the top right of the screen.

Only button that worked was the screen cap. Any idea who the brute in the post credits scene is?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • The problem is the game is struggling to hit 30k peak viewers on steam. Let’s say only 2 million of those downloads were steam downloads… that’s still a colossal drop in terms of player retention. I think this is probably mostly down to lack of features but it’s also got to be down to what’s there not working (BTB and desync issues come to mind). Plus I’m not sure the game as is is very attractive to most FPS fans. Individual players aren’t empowered enough.
    GT: Knight640
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    These types of dips don’t seem too unusual, TBH.

https://culturedvultures.com/how-many-people-play-apex-legends/
  • I've completely fallen off this.
    I'm hoping with season 2 there are more appealing unlocks and a total overhaul of the challenge system that rewards good play not specific play. Those are the things that would drag me back in really. The selection of game modes doesn't seem bad now, as long as they all work.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The challenge thing is poor like. The first one I got for the current even was to get a revive, which is only available for a very short time in each round. I don't think I've even had a chance to revive someone in any of my three games
  • Yossarian wrote:

I read the whole thing and didn’t read any evidence that Apex Legends lost such a % of its players just weeks after launch. In fact you can go compare Infinite with other F2P steam games (which were on steam since launch unlike Apex) and see that the % drop off is noticeably higher with Halo. Do it with Destiny 2 for example. It’s initial peak was lower but it’s concurrent high stayed much, much higher than Halo’s is currently.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Where
    Knight wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I read the whole thing and didn’t read any evidence that Apex Legends lost such a % of its players just weeks after launch. In fact you can go compare Infinite with other F2P steam games (which were on steam since launch unlike Apex) and see that the % drop off is noticeably higher with Halo. Do it with Destiny 2 for example. It’s initial peak was lower but it’s concurrent high stayed much, much higher than Halo’s is currently.

Direct comparisons are always going to be tricky because Halo was a much bigger launch in the first place, plus Steam is likely to be less representative of the player base as a whole as so many Halo fans are likely to be playing the game on Xbox and/or through Game Pass, but there have clearly been peaks and troughs over time for AL just as there will be for Halo.
  • There are other much more helpful direct comparisons though and in comparison the % drop off is concerning. And You don’t get those players back consistently once you lose them. You get renewed peaks but they last less long and the total numbers drop back down.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Some games have got those peaks back and reached even higher, even after they recede the base level player counts remains higher than at launch, it very much depends on the game and the support it receives.

Obviously, we can’t know what’s going to happen with Halo, but I don’t think that the concern is particularly warranted as yet.
  • It could just be me projecting my own views but I feel much will pivot on season 2 in May.
    People will come back to have a look but that is when they need to retain them.

Or add a Battle Royale I suppose.
  • Getting BTB working would be a start.

Still, I'm loving the MP in this.  Barely touched the campaign.
  • May is just too far off for most people I think, especially on a F2P game. It'll'll get another peak, a few will return for co op, a few for forge and some new maps, but that will soon drop off again quickly. The game needs a Taken King style overhaul to its progression system and its community features. Currently, when you're not in a match, this game is an empty soulless experience. You can't even tinker with your armour whilst searching for a game, or stay in a lobby of people you've played with previously.

If we don't see any new maps until May, this game is in trouble without a doubt.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I play quite a bit of multiplayer, currently sitting at around rank 80 with just challenge unlocks - to be honest I rarely, if ever look at what the challenges are and I just unlock them organically as I play. Perhaps I just get lucky with the ones given to me, I maxed the current event in a few days without much trouble. I would like more meat to the progression though such as military ranks, more visual custimisation and also, a decent stats screen for your service record.

The issues for me though at the moment solely stems from the bullshittery going on server-side. I really don't mind when I have been out played or make mistakes, that's fine, I can get on with life in those situations but this constant cycle of:

- Grenades not going off or doing any damage
    - Melee's whiffing from 1ft away while other players lunge at me from 10ft
    - No visual or audio feedback from being shot resulting in what looks like an instant death
    - Other players just refusing to die no matter how many clips you put in them

It just makes a night on Halo open to anything, one moment you're having a great time, playing to the best of your ability which is being reflected on-screen. The next then you can't hit a barn door or get a kill to save your life through no change of play-style or form, just complete random interjection from the server.

I really think those are the core issues they need to address. Halo isn't going to be everyones cup of tea, like Knight said individual play isn't as pronounced as in other lower ttk titles - that doesn't mean good plays can't be put in motion, but I suspect younger players who've been conditioned on COD, Fortnite and what not will find it hard to express their individuality in Halo Infinite though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    May is just too far off for most people I think, especially on a F2P game. It'll'll get another peak, a few will return for co op, a few for forge and some new maps, but that will soon drop off again quickly. The game needs a Taken King style overhaul to it's progression system and it's community features. Currently, when you're not in a match, this game is an empty soulless experience. You can't even tinker with your armour whilst searching for a game, or stay in a lobby of people you've played with previously.

If we don't see any new maps until May, this game is in trouble without a doubt.

I would maybe take the point if there were any big MP shooters coming out between now and May that the community might move on to, but in the absence of that happening, I’m not convinced that the gap is too much to overcome.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!