PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I was waiting for a hook to get me excited again and there wasn't really anything. Still looks lovely and I'm sure I'll like the world, but they're not convincing me that it's anything but a shinier iteration.

Rockstar have never really moved past "our game trailers are movies" and there's just such a pattern to what they do now that it felt like the gtav one. I loved the first rdr but Christ show some game for once.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think the fella from RDR needs his back story fleshed out. I'm ready for the Rockstar open world games to go fully system based, emergent stuff and bin the whole story thing. If you could just start up as a an outlaw or a deputy and have at it in this no doubt amazing world they're creating I'd be happy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fully agree with that.
  • I'd like a game like that, but also if you're giving me a big portentous trailer like that I'd prefer the game behind it wasn't encouraging you to do open world stuff. Keep the space, some of the systems, but make it fully story driven.
  • Well I’m gonna swoop on in with my positive outlook on this and say “I’m excited!”
    I love rockstar games and always have fun in their worlds.
    RDR was excellent and one of my favourite games of the previous generation.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Have the world big, have the story completable in 4hrs with x different endings.
  • Difficult to ever really get a game to manage the scope and scale of the old west without it being boring. You want vast expanses of nothing, but you want to make that entertaining. The absolute last thing you want is checklist side-quests, but I don't see how they won't be there.

They can sell it I guess as civilisation coming to the west, but I will have to wait and see if they can pull it off.
  • That trailer looks lovely, but my worry is that the game will just be more of the same. Every level seemed to be ride on horseback whilst being talked at for ages, get somewhere, shoot some baddies, back on horse, exposition overload. Rather unfair, but just didn't click with me.
  • Had a wonderful time with GTA V remastered a couple of months back, so I am very excited for this. The Beatles of videogames are back! OH YES
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I can't do any more "my coach is being attacked

PSYCHE

kill this fool"

• Tempy wrote:
    I think i'd be much more interested in this if it wasn't a Rockstar game.
    Yep.
    Stopharage wrote:
    That trailer looks lovely, but my worry is that the game will just be more of the same. Every level seemed to be ride on horseback whilst being talked at for ages, get somewhere, shoot some baddies, back on horse, exposition overload. Rather unfair, but just didn't click with me.
    They're too pleased with their own writing to do anything else. Personally i don't even find it particularly good. Tried to play through the GTAV story twice and barely got anywhere. Fortunately the online mode was there.
  • The advantage GTA has over RDR is that modern vehicles and weapons generally make for more fun sandbox shit.
    Strip that out and I'm not overly fussed really, I don't go into R* games looking for a decent story or anything. I just want them to set up shenanigans for a while and then let me set up my own shenanigans later.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Have the world big, have the story completable in 4hrs with x different endings.

Sounds perfect.

It's certainly beautiful, the world looks amazing. I hope the physics aren't lame. Bad guys with their feet stuck in the stirrups and people tumbling off cliffs never get old.
  • 12hrs for the story again please.  One ending is fine by me.
  • When it went from the flame lit darkness to the shot of the busy town I got a stauner.

CJRxflv.gif
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Dunno, sweet in-engine cutscenes et al but would like to see some gameplays.

Looks like a chalice-tier purchase por moi.

• Christ that trailer was dull. 
    I was more interested in the game when they just showed the slow mo horse walking down the street way back when. 
    Atmosphere etc... Will be the making of this not another rockstar singlepayer story.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Dull as trailer. A movie trailer which if it was an actual film I would have no interest in watching.

Still, can't wait to play the game.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • They should have just used the engine to make Westworld: the videogame
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I generally enjoy Rockstar games but, like other people have said, I can't help but feel their desire to make the world bigger each time is counter to the stories they want to tell. The previous red dead did some stuff that I really loved so I'll definitely play this but I'm sure I'll get to a point where the massive map is filled with non-main story threads I need to complete before I can continue and I'll groan a little.
  • I don't think the fella from RDR needs his back story fleshed out. I'm ready for the Rockstar open world games to go fully system based, emergent stuff and bin the whole story thing. If you could just start up as a an outlaw or a deputy and have at it in this no doubt amazing world they're creating I'd be happy.
    Like a single player, cowboy Sea of Thieves...
    then add on multiplayer! :)

Agree with most of the 'negative' comments. For me, these open world games don't suit the big dramatic story, and vice versa. You just ended up doing a lot of travelling listening to a lot of talking...I also find that all the side quests tend to stop me enjoying or really progressing in the main story - not because i want to do the side quests, but i'm always afraid i might miss out something important or not have enough 'whatevers' if i don't do the side quests. I do wish these type of games came with the choice of story or free roam mode...and story just locks you in the linear path and doesn't give you any other distractions.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually a cowboy story needs a small tight narrative in a massive setting. It's a X killed y so z killed X type thing and when it gets sprawling it removes that tight, Nasty narrative
  • I always want to see Rockstar do more with the passage of time in these open worlds. Play the first section as a youngster on the frontier with a few homesteads and one town. Last section as a grizzled gunfighter in the same world, but there's railways, ranches, towns and people everywhere.
  • After having such a good time with the remastered GTA V, especially with the ability to take photos of the game, both through the in-game feature and the Share button on PS4, I am very excited to see the scale and detail of the world. That is the thing I think that sets Rockstar apart from other developers: their mastery of crafting a diverse, beautiful world that can be explored for hours and hours. They have really elevated their game in story-telling this last generation too; GTA IV was an important milestone in their telling a personal, emotionally based story, even if it faltered in other areas - I'm looking at you friend calls. Red Dead Redemption was arguably their best work, for its humanity and unexpected emotional wallop and resonance. I swear that moment when Compass by Jamie Lidell comes in still gets me.

This is why I believe that simply looking at the movies/other media they reference fails to tell the whole story. Sam Peckinpah never made a video game, but if he had it would look like Red Dead Redemption. I don't think plagiarism is a fair evaluation of their work, seeing as there is a level of immersion that is impossible in other media, and even *if* it was simply a catalogue of influences, it would still be quite unlike them given its nature as an open world video game. I am a huge Westerns guy, and Red Dead Redemption was a beautiful dream. I would rank it high on my list of favourite Westerns, along with Deadwood (the greatest), The Searchers, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, True Grit (the original and remake), The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, The Assassination of Jesse James, and the remake of 3:10 To Yuma.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Oh and Once Upon a Time in the West obviously.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Oh and Once Upon a Time in the West obviously.

Fucking close call, bud.  And, ahem, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
    Get schwifty.
  • YES! Also for a bit of arthouse Western: Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I remember yawning through that once upon a time.
    Get schwifty.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Open range and Slow West (controversial choice I know) for me to.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'm really looking forward to it. Probably get this launch or close to.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!