Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Hoping Villa get relegated next season as well, to show that their problems run deeper than an easy scapegoat of a manager. Speaking of McLeish, he's a bit of an enigma. He's capable of being a superb manager, delivering a domestic treble and Champions League knockout stage qualification for the Gers, fantastic results against France and Ukraine for Scotland, and a historic cup plus highest league finish in years for Birmingham. But then he's also responsible for Rangers finishing 3rd in the league, relegating Birmingham twice, and nearly taking Villa down this year with painfully dull football. I think he's a decent manager, maybe not great, but really needs to stop taking jobs at clubs mired with financial issues. He's getting a reputation as a "safe" cost-cutting option, and needs to show he can be a bit more.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I like this method of judging premiership football teams - how difficult they are to rig. However if memory serves, Stamford Bridge gets a low rating by this criterion,
    Yup, another hell-hole to rig.

*shudders*

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Gonzo wrote:
    RasDam wrote:
    I'm happy for City, even if it means Tevez & Nasri get winners medals. For the most part, they are a team of likeable individuals. City fans were probably the best of the English away day boys we've had at The Grove this season (Dortmund the best of all). I hope success doesn't change them too much.
    I can see why Tevez arguably doesn't deserve it but why wouldn't Nasri?
    I didn't say he doesn't deserve the title, even if he did spend most of the season on the bench. I just don't like the Liza Minnelli look alike. I'm pleased for Clichy though.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • monkey wrote:
    I fancy Bayern for the final anyway.

I think everyone does except Gonzo and I. The betting is currently at around 4/1 against a Chelsea win, despite Bayern getting humbled 5-2 in the German cup final against (an admittedly brilliant) Dortmund side. 4/1 in a two-horse race is a definite flutter for me.
  • I'll always have some residual respect for Barton after what he did for Newcastle, but I hope the FA throw absolutely everything at him this time.
  • g.man wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    I like this method of judging premiership football teams - how difficult they are to rig. However if memory serves, Stamford Bridge gets a low rating by this criterion,
    Yup, another hell-hole to rig. *shudders* g.man
    Have any of the newer grounds taken the TV set up into account, or is it just luck?
  • I hope they give him a 38 game ban.
  • I_R wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yup, another hell-hole to rig. *shudders* g.man
    Have any of the newer grounds taken the TV set up into account, or is it just luck?
    Yes, Most of the new grounds are pretty much a piece of piss to rig compared to their geriatric counterparts.

regards

g.man
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Hoping Villa get relegated next season as well, to show that their problems run deeper than an easy scapegoat of a manager.
    What are these deep-running problems at Villa supposed to be?
    Mid-table for half the season. Just hit bad form and got a few injuries (especially Bent) all at the same time. And didn't have a manager capable of sorting it out. 

A half-decent manager and they'll be fine. Shame Hodgson is now taken.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I love the corrugated iron TV pundit shed floating in the corner of Villa Park. No way I'd climb in there.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18054142

A half hearted (if even half) apology from Barton.
    The trouble is 'Sorry' means I won't do it again, he will do it again and has done it before.

Even if you believe Tevez started it his reaction was always going to be a red card, the only other out come would be Tevez being booked too. Then to go on a kick Aguero (soft or otherwise) then put a head in on Kompany!

There is a reason newcastle ditched this joker, he not only lets himself down he drags the team down with him.

38 game ban seems about right as this is no where near a first offence.
  • Did any of you read his tweets about Shearer last night?
  • do tell?
  • Nah missed that, I imagine they have been removed now.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What I would really like Hughes to do, is keep Barton, but hire a better midfielder... Trollolol...

@Ras - Was just reading some of that shit now... He's rounding on Lineker too...
    That's going to be fucking funny. : D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/9264592/Joey-Barton-attacks-Alan-Shearer-and-Gary-Lineker-on-Twitter-after-Match-of-the-Day-criticism.html
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'll go in search of his actual tweets, but he basically lays in to Shearer for commenting on the incident. Says he has no right to sasy anything cosidering that he threatened the FA with retirement for England if they dared to ban him for a red card he recieved. He managed to praise him for being a better player than himself though.

Edit: He hasn't deleted a single tweet. https://twitter.com/#!/joey7barton
  • monkey wrote:
    I fancy Bayern for the final anyway.

It has all the makings of Liverpool's Champions League win in 2005. They were 5th in the league IIRC and Milan were the favourites in that final. Liverpool had their luck in the CL Semi final against Chelsea with the "was it/wasn't it" over the line fiasco and I just knew they'd go on and win it that year. Got to give it to them for coming back from 3-0 down against an excellent Milan side, though. Gerrard was incredible on that night.

To win the European Cup, you need a bit of luck. And Chelsea have that luck in Europe this season.

I reckon they'll do Bayern - I hope I'm wrong. Not because I dislike Chelsea, because in all honesty I couldn't care less about any of the London clubs. I would just rather see Spurs qualify for Europe than Chelsea because their football is more pleasing on the eye.
  • RasDam wrote:
    He managed to praise him for being a better player than himself though.
    Big of him.
    I think Shearer's job of being a football pundit kind of might give him some allowances to comment on the events of the biggest game of the season.
  • RasDam wrote:
    Did any of you read his tweets about Shearer last night?

He's been having a go at Lineker today.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Sorry, it had already been mentioned ^
  • Barton:
    "Still not my proudest moment but who gives a f***. We are safe.
    It would have been a different story had Bolton won though. That extra man on the pitch at the end of the game could have made all the difference.

Lineker regularly cracks me up on twitter, his replies to  Pierce Morgan were esspecially good.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I dunno, I think Barton is a misunderstood character who is making a good point here and...hang on...

"Then, quoting The Smiths:"

What an absolute cunt.
  • He's an arse. All the copy and paste philosophical quotes in the world won't change that. 

He's right about Shearer though, he is a terrible pundit.

Barton seems to have serious anger management issues, you could see he just lost it when he got sent off. For all that he tweeted that it was all some kind of elaborate plan to 'take a City player with me', he was just lashing out. I'm surprised he hasn't seriously injured another professional already.
  • Such a shame to lose Coyle's Bolton. They were really hard done by in that Stoke match, but you can't blame relegation on one game.

@LarryDavid Has he ever seriously hurt another professional on the pitch? You'd think he'd do such things with regularity but for the life of me I can't remember the last time someone went off stretchered because of him.
  • I don't think he actually has, but when he gets pissed off he's a liability. He's committed actual bodily harm on a City teammate in training I think. 

Detached retina I seem to recall, for the other guy not Barton, you'd never land a good punch with a detached retina.
  • Stubbing a cigar out on a teammate's eye is pretty fucking bad.
  • He (Barton) suggested he'd let out info about Lineker's many skeletons!
  • He's on his way Susie McLibel's if he's not careful.
    No doubt he will get a hefty fine from QPR too for bringing the club into disrepute and the more he carries on this shit the bigger that fine is going to get.
  • Why any Premier League club would even touch Barton is beyond me. He's a decent player on a good day but the baggage that comes with him is unbelievable.

He won't be playing at QPR next season IMO.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!