Sport Club Greek Mega Thread
  • Worth scanning through here, Paul: https://x.com/nufcspence/status/1783360696597778578

Comments from Newcastle fans:

"To be fair I was screaming that it should have been a penalty. However watching it over, I’d be FUMING if that was given against us. I just wish there was consistency because penalties have absolutely been given for this (and less) this season."

"Embarrassing by Longstaff. Just play on and shoot. Hate it when other sides do it too."

"He goes under the radar for the amount of diving around he does. One of worst in the league for it."

There's a few saying it was a pen, but it's certainly not the consensus, nor the stonewall you've said it was.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Here, look at these Twitter comments is about as weak an argument anyone has ever made for anything.

Newcastle fans are very eager to get on a player's back, especially a local lad for some reason. Dan Burn has had it this season too. Loads of comments wanting Howe out too. Worthless tripe from idiots, I don't pay it any mind.

Just love to see how it's not a foul. It's blatant
  • And yet, regardless of why Newcastle fans wrote those comments, they did and therefore it can't by definition be a stonewall penalty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Stonewall is my opinion on the foul in accordance with the rules of the game. If you're going to argue against it, give me your reading of the rules. If you want to talk about definitions, define a foul and how this doesn't meet the criteria
  • The PGMOL made it clear this season that contact alone is not enough for a penalty, but rather the contact must have a consequence in causing the opponent to go to ground.

In this case, Longstaff threw himself to the ground - which made the official’s mind up for them. He didn’t fall to the floor because Hughes threw him there, he fell because he was touched and thought he’d win a penalty to get his team back in the game.

Like I said, it’s a contact sport.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You don't need to go to ground for it to be a foul. Define a foul for me and explain how it doesn't fit the criteria in your opinion.

Here's the rule as stated in the laws of the game, emphasis mine:
    A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
    a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
    holds an opponent
    impedes an opponent with contact
    bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
    throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

Nothing about going to ground there, but we all know why players do it, to draw attention to the contact. Nothing about a general consensus on Twitter either, we knew that too
  • Those are the rules, yes, but that’s not how the game is played. If it was, it wouldn’t ever get played, because it would be stopped every second for a foul. There’s literally no point in quoting them, because they provide a platform for the decision making process which I’ve covered above. I didn’t make up that the PGMOL said its contact with consequence for penalties. Look it up if you need to.

As you’ve said he drew attention to the contact and in doing so highlighted there was no real contact of consequence at all.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If there was no real consequence, Hughes wouldn't have done it and Longstaff wouldn't have reacted to it. He's been knocked off balance by the contact. It's a foul and a penalty. The game is stopped for such fouls all the time.

It's laughable that the rules are irrelevant but some gonks on Twitter mashing out nonsense is held up as something of use. Wild, even. "Lalala I'm not listening or interested in the rules but here's a tweet that backs me up". Give ower
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Where's this PGMOL stuff? I can't find it
  • Also, I’m not listening to people on Twitter. I don’t think it’s a penalty, Olimite didn’t think it was a penalty either, but we’re both Palace fans. I fancied getting an alternative perspective and that’s what led me to look at some Newcastle commentators, who also didn’t universally think it was a penalty.

Anyway, the above should help with context.
  • I thought it should’ve been a pen.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Make sure you allow multiple answers.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Anyone got a link to The Incident?
  • It was in the X link at the top of the page.
  • Given this is the test now…

There will now be three factors considered by the VAR: whether or not there is clear and proper contact; whether that contact has the consequence of bringing the player down; and whether the motivation of the attacking player was to go down easily and seek a penalty.

It fails at the second and third tests. Contact yes, consequence no, motivation dive.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Anyone got a link to The Incident?

I think it's in here

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The stuff from three years ago(!) is more about buying a pen by initiating contact. Hanging a leg out etc. This isn't that.

The one from this season regarding Wolves I agree with. I thought both of those weren't pens, and we got one of them. They're similar to the Gordon one against West Ham, except in that one Gordon got himself between the ball and man and Phillips had to kick through him to get the ball. That's a pen.

I'm not seeing anything here that makes me think it's now ok to just cut across a player from behind, impede him with your arm without an attempt to play the ball. It's still a foul
  • The three tests haven’t changed, Paul.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Given this is the test now…

There will now be three factors considered by the VAR: whether or not there is clear and proper contact; whether that contact has the consequence of bringing the player down; and whether the motivation of the attacking player was to go down easily and seek a penalty.

It fails at the second and third tests. Contact yes, consequence no, motivation dive.

What's the context for this and where did you get it from? It looks like it's about diving/initiating contact again.

On the third one, the motivation of the player was to play football without being impeded from behind. Unfortunately the Palace player had other ideas. The second one is odd too as you don't have to go to ground to be fouled. Again some context missing I reckon
  • I choose option C: 'It's one of those, isn't it?'
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's a better angle from behind. I'll see if I can find it
  • It's a penalty for me, not that this puts it to bed ofc.

The contact even snags Hughes' momemtum slightly. Think about the Munster memes if Maguire did the same thing ever.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's a good point actually. Hughes loses his own balance in the contact and nearly faceplants himself
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Given this is the test now…

What's the context for this and where did you get it from? It looks like it's about diving/initiating contact again.

On the third one, the motivation of the player was to play football without being impeded from behind. Unfortunately the Palace player had other ideas. The second one is odd too as you don't have to go to ground to be fouled. Again some context missing I reckon

It was in the CPFC article I linked earlier. It’s not an opinion, it’s fact. Clubs have been repeatedly briefed about this by the PGMOL.

I can see that others have said it’s a penalty, so the general mood seems to be it is more of a penalty than not. Fair enough. It’s not my view, but there we go.
  • It's not a stonewall penalty. What's the tier between straw and stone?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!