Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • How to they churn out so many of these? Is the team humongous or does the existing template allow for extra speedy development times? There seems to be a new one (or a new spin off) every six months or so.
  • Yak0 was released in the same year as BotW, right? Not directly comparable of course, but there must have been over half a dozen Yakuza/Judgement since then.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They're a really efficient team. Through the PS3 and 4 era they were using the same engine for a lot of the time, the map of Kamurocho hadn't changed etc.

They have recently jumped engines so there was a bit of a gap, but they filled that by getting used to the engine by putting out the Kiwami remakes etc, so that again is a lot of ready to go quest design / music etc.

The man who erased his name was allegedly done in like 9 months or something which is a bit insane, but does have a bit less excitement to its side quests.

I'd suspect the LAD7 team went straight into Infinite Wealth and things like Iishin and Man Who were smaller projects.

From the reviews, it does seem like the ideas / changes have been saved for this one, like the island building, but it is overall a case of just being smart with what they had.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There’s a lot of asset reuse except for when they change engine.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correction, for TMWEHN, even shorter according to Wikipedia -
    The game was developed in parallel with Infinite Wealth and Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and was finished within six months.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's a good interview about how the team works here with this quote

Basically, we look at making Like a Dragon Gaiden and Like a Dragon 8 as being the same thing. If I’m in charge of a certain mini game for one title, I’ll also be in charge of it for another title. This is how we categorize tasks across different projects. If a certain type of mini game involves a lot of physics, one person will be in charge of them across all projects. If there’s AI, one person will handle AI in all projects. As projects move along vertically, everyone is crossing over from one to the other horizontally. The same goes for the two of us (Yokoyama and Sakamoto), we’re involved in all of the titles.
  • Sounds like a lot of crunch going on, if they’re that ‘efficient’
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Will check out the link later, ta. The Animal Crossing island stuff sounds crazy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of crunch going on, if they’re that ‘efficient’

I suspect much like most other studios there is an element of crunch going on, but reading that interview it also just seems like they're working clever as well, reusing and reworking ideas as they go. Their games are all of a similar style, angle and with a lot of repeated animations. I think they're also just not embarrassed to go back and reuse things they've made with a twist..
  • I have no sense of direction, so I love the familiarity of locations.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really liked learning Kamurocho and subsequently Osaka / Sotenbori and Yokohama. Made it even better when I went to them IRL. Honolulu will be new for me, but Gamespot say it's pretty bang on with major attractions again
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The big liner at Yokohama harbour is just there and there is a big park around it. Loved seeing it in the game
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I really liked learning Kamurocho and subsequently Osaka / Sotenbori and Yokohama. Made it even better when I went to them IRL. Honolulu will be new for me, but Gamespot say it's pretty bang on with major attractions again

I’ve just watched the Gamespot review. Super excited for this.
  • My copy has been delivered! :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got a fucking empty the night and it hasn't arrived from Shopto. Cursing the sky right now. Watch me bounce around on Game pass tonight in fury.
  • I've got a DPD notification to say it's with them and will be delivered tomorrow.

EXCITEMENT
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Minell be here tomorrow but I could have got 4 hours through likely 20 hour tutorial tonight
  • It’s not a massive install, 43.29GB
  • I'll clear some space tonight.
    First to go is Pal world
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to go back to Nier Automata. It's been calling me. Tomorrow is all Ichiban.
  • So install finished. Noticed my Xbox had more updates.

Infinite Wealth was amongst them. 47.94GB! No idea what’s happening. Dammit.

It’s calling it an upgrade.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm getting FOMO for this but have to finish YakLad - may resort to a guide as I'm sure I'm stuck on the last but one (or two) boss.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If that's the one I'm thinking of it's an absolute bastard, harder than the final boss.
  • Yep, he was a right prick
  • My copy arrived, it's now installed and patch/updating is all done.
    Now just to get to the end of the day so I can play
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have re-downloaded it and will have a bash over the weekend see if I can finish it.
  • Ah, the "new yakuza game making me look at my yak pile of doom" feels. Nothing like it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's got to be done :-)
  • I'm gonna be looking in here in envy till I have it myself.
    Got too much on the go at the min and saving for new telly
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah, the "new yakuza game making me look at my yak pile of doom" feels. Nothing like it.

Keep up hup hup.

Anyway this should have arrived by the time I get home half cut from senior management team night out

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!