Yakuza - it's like Shenmue, but actually fun to play
  • Hey hey. Yeah gaiden day one. Amazing news.
  • Okay so chapter 7-8 of Lost Judgement has some of the best story beats of any rgg game. Quality stuff. Great performances and twists all round. Happy to tune into lengthy-ish cutscenes when it's this good.

I struggle to pinpoint the level of acclaim I'm talking about too. They're in no way Oscar-winning things, but it's like a damn good BBC/hbo level type thing.

Anyway, another winner for this series.
  • Made the mistake of watching the 10 minute Infinite Wealth story trailer.

One revelation genuinely upset me.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Oh don't tell me, I haven't seen the trailer.
    I'm so excited for this, was going to preorder but then it's obviously going to be on Gamepass
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Must finish YakLad. I recall I’m stuck on a particular end game boss that I tried three times before giving up. I’m pretty sure I’m right near the end. Can you drop the difficulty level as I’d be tempted to do so.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Must finish YakLad. I recall I’m stuck on a particular end game boss that I tried three times before giving up. I’m pretty sure I’m right near the end. Can you drop the difficulty level as I’d be tempted to do so.

I have the same issue. Right near the end but can't beat a certain blast from the past
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s wrote:

I believe you can drop the difficulty level mid game.

Oh don't tell me, I haven't seen the trailer.
    I'm so excited for this, was going to preorder but then it's obviously going to be on Gamepass

Don’t watch it.

I was looking at the special edition of Like A Dragon Gaiden, I may still buy it and then get the game on GamePass too. Because I’m an idiot ;)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I believe you can drop the difficulty level mid game.

Cool… I have no pride, so can gladly do this.
  • Yo I play almost all yak titles on Easy.

We are here for a good time, not a long time. This is what both Kiryu and Ichiban would have wanted.
  • *lovely organ melody plays*

Because really guys, when we all play, everybody wins.

*gives thumbs up*

*banks 100k yen and a pack of pocket tissues*
  • Ooooft, after many hours levelling my team, improving jobs, crafting armour and weapons, I've finally beaten him.

I might actually finish a Yakuza game before the next one arrives
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm also Team Easy mode. Nothing to prove, Baka Me
  • Decided I kinda want to see how well these games actually modelled central Shinjuku so have downloaded Yak0.
  • YouTube reviews for Like A Dragon: Gaiden are starting to appear.

Unsurprisingly it’s good.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Decided I kinda want to see how well these games actually modelled central Shinjuku so have downloaded Yak0.
    If you hit Korea Town in Tokyo it's 1-1. Have a few photos of my last trip

Can't wait!

Can't wait!

I hope it can be downloaded in advance, ready to play at launch.
  • Yeah it's been one of those titles where we know it's coming to GP, MS have said so, but on the GP app/store there's nary a mention of that fact. Probably a contractual thing, Sega wanting preorders but it is slightly annoying. Hoping it "goes up" at a time where I can have it installed for coming home from work.

Almost time!
  • Yeah it's been one of those titles where we know it's coming to GP, MS have said so, but on the GP app/store there's nary a mention of that fact. Probably a contractual thing, Sega wanting preorders but it is slightly annoying. Hoping it "goes up" at a time where I can have it installed for coming home from work.

Almost time!

I knew it was coming to GamePass, but still ordered a physical copy on PS5 too.
  • My first Yakuza (yak0) and it's ....something something alright. It's the Shenmue template on 'roids with gta themes and a quest structure similar to mass effect/the Witcher. All the superfluous things that did not work in Shenmue have been stripped out; the gameplay's streamlined to perfection. Acting and writing are leveled up too big time, playing with the Japanese voice overs for max immersion and it's fabulous.

Yak0 is Japanese soap opera gangster drama at it's finest. One moment you're battling a group of tatoed Yakuza, the next you're singing karaoke, playing vintage arcade games, go out bowling or playing mah jong. Not to mention managing a cabaret club which involves a dating sim with lovely ladies. And that's just a selection of all the mini-games. The dev team went all in to make sure there's always something to do on every corner on the map. It's strength is the game doesn't take itself too seriously, there's comedy everywhere interspersed between the soap opera machismo melodrama.

Will finish this in the upcoming week. Good stuff.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I am also nearly done with it. It's categorically better than Shenmue while doing all that shit, fair enough, even if Kiryu is the world's least 20-year-old 20-year-old and I'd actually rather play a game about the prunefaced Dojima lieutenants with their flamboyantly rolled Rs.

The facsimile of Kabukicho is disarming when I can spot how they've fudged the geography of an actual place I have spent a bunch of time in and usually stay around when I'm over there, and there are some very funny anachronisms but ultimately I like all attempts to render an actual place virtually in principle. And in this case I will probably hop straight on to the Kiwamis or Lost Judgement or whatever.
  • Is like a dragon ishin on game pass part of the yakuza games too. And related to gaiden i assume? Just odd both showing on gamepass and not having yakuza in the title so I'm confused
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Is like a dragon ishin on game pass part of the yakuza games too. And related to gaiden i assume? Just odd both showing on gamepass and not having yakuza in the title so I'm confused

Like a Dragon is the Japanese name for the Yakuza series.

When Yakuza 7 launched, it featured a totally different set of characters and game style. Its set a shift in the naming.

It looks like the Yakuza games are now being renamed as Like a Dragon in the west too.

Ishin is set in feudal Japan, so it’s Yakuza set in the past. Sort of.

• Cheers.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I’m already playing it on GamePass, but I do like a physical copy of a Yakuza game (missed out on the limited edition unfortunately)

trfobuS.jpg
    nQgDe3o.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck I might need to get me that as I have everything else physical.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fuck I might need to get me that as I have everything else physical.

I got mine from Playasia
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!