PS Plus Monthly Games Thread for PS4/PS5
  • Ps+ games are up.

Mass effect legendary edition (ps4)
    Biomutant (ps4/5)
    Divine knockout (ps4/5)

Looking forward to giving mass effect 1 a try a d getting proper stuck in to mass effect 2 and 3 on the run up to Xmas day.
  • Whoop. ME downloading. Divine Knockout looks like it could be a winner too.
  • My save shows 7hrs so far in ME1. Good to be back in that world again. Might finally get to play the other 2 now.
  • So, back in the day when I briefly owned an Xbox, I did try Mass Effect 2 and bounced off quickly. I've downloaded this legendary edition and played an hour or two of ME1. I quickly got to a point where I thought "Do I really want to play through this?". I'm not sure. Have I missed the boat? Is the game too dated?

I remember a mate sending me some footage of the original way back before its initial release and saying "this is the end of Hollywood". Character interactions looked really impressive at the time, but now they look wooden and laughable, which breaks the immersion. It's really testament to how far we've moved on, even though new console generations seem like diminishing returns these days.

So, I'm just not sure whether to stick with this or not as I feel it's going to be a big commitment. It's dated. The combat is clunky. The conversation stuff is a skip-fest. The loading between areas reminds me of PC gaming in the 90s. I can't be arsed with side-quests...

...but, everyone says it's a must-play with an amazing story. Is this still the case? For those who played it back in the day, they have the nostalgia factor, which goes a long way. Just not sure if it will stick going in fresh these days.
  • 2 really is the best, one is a big of a slog in areas, and 3 was merely enough. All imo.

I say go to 2 and stay there.
  • I've not played any, but my recollection is that ME1 was dated and clunky at the time, and ME2 was supposed to be a big step up.
  • 2 really is the best, one is a big of a slog in areas, and 3 was merely enough. All imo.

I say go to 2 and stay there.

That's what I did on 360. No regrets. I did try to enjoy the first couple of hours of 3. Nope. The combat in 2 probably has aged poorly (unless they've improved it for the remaster). It was good enough to see me through the game though. I'm a habitual skipper with cut scenes but resisted the urge because the Mass Effect universe is excellent and it's easily the best epic sci fi videogame in terms of story/characters imo. Definitely better than plenty of TV shows that are supposedly good. I don't usually play games like that and it grabbed me. I even played the DLC.
  • The gameplay improves massively between 1 and 2. Night and day.
    The story, cut scenes, dialogue etc are very similar though. So if you’re not appreciating that aspect of it at this point, it’s unlikely to improve.

I don’t think I want to go back to it. I’ve YouTubed bits now and again that I remember as amazing and time has not been kind.
  • So, does ME2 have a recap of the events of ME1? Would I be missing much by skipping ME1? Will it make sense?
  • I'm about 10 hours in to mass effect 1 and it is clunky as all he'll and some places are a pain to find your way around.
    Constantly opening map to make sure I'm going right way etc.

However iv just got my first part where I get to drive about on a meteor so il stick with it for now.

Can't wait to get to me2.
  • The UI is proper old school hey? That menu!
  • Aye it is indeed.
    If your not sticking with it @drumbeg maybe get a mass effect 1 recap of you tube?
  • I'm on the fence. Reddit tells me it's a must-play, but the more distinguished types in here seem a lot more balanced/cool about it.

I did find the first hour or two pretty chilled, even in combat. It's certainly not unpleasant to play, just a bit dull.
  • The combat is a low point so far, very clunky,
    No shoulder swap, constantly getting upgraded weapons to swap out so always in them menus.

I have played 2 and 3 before though so I'm determined to get thru this to get to the better games but I'm also enjoying the history of the universe and stuff I missed out on.
  • I’m one of the ME1 diehards - think it has the best dialogue / choice out of all 3 games and was more space opera in its general vibe. Yes, it’s aged mechanically but I’ve never skipped it on any of my playthroughs.
  • It's the world building (lore, team mate banter, etc) and music for me. It still has that has atmosphere.

It is clunky, and the dialogue still amuses me. Hostiles seem to be your bestie after 3 or 4 conversation choices, everyone opens up to you straight away, and the quests aren't very taxing.

I have a feeling they've removed the RNG from the combat as I seem to hit things in my sights all the time now.

But then, are there any RPGs in this style where the dialogue isn't laughable? (don't say Disco Elysium as that isn't in this style).
  • I never finished the first as it felt incredibly clunky/outdated even back then. 

I've only finished ME2, and that was THE best game of 360 era (IMHO). From what i remember, there were bits from ME1 that it would reference in ME2 but nothing major, and your character stats/appearance would carry over if you like.

Never bothered with the 3rd.
  • I’m still partway through my third playthrough of ME1. Twice on 360, started the remaster on release. On my way to see Benezia or whatshername.

Will get back to it after GoW and Bayo3 as I really need to get onto ME2. Ive never played it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    So, does ME2 have a recap of the events of ME1? Would I be missing much by skipping ME1? Will it make sense?
    Not sure. When they put ME2 on the PS3, they had some interactive digital recap so you could make the key decisions from ME1 and import them into your play through.
  • Do we know if ME2 still ignores a fairly significant choice you could make in ME1? Or has that choice been removed from ME1 now?
  • You can no longer fuck the cow, yes.
  • New additions to the PS Plus library...

d61622d5ef3a1658214c6fd4d7188dad3848b0f7.jpg?resize=1088%2C612&crop_strategy=smart&zoom=1.5
  • Has there only 1 (Stray) new release on this?

I understand no first party games but surely there would’ve been other 3rd party new releases.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • That All-Stars racing one maybe.
  • So Stray went into the game catalogue rather than being a monthly PS Plus game?
  • Yes. It went into the tier they call Extra.
  • digi wrote:
    The combat is a low point so far, very clunky, No shoulder swap, constantly getting upgraded weapons to swap out so always in them menus. I have played 2 and 3 before though so I'm determined to get thru this to get to the better games but I'm also enjoying the history of the universe and stuff I missed out on.

Done yet? I've just mainlined it with zero side quests and I think I'm near the end. It's going to turn out to be a much shorter game than I imagined. Very clunky and have had some bad bugs occur, but definitely worth the play through.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    digi wrote:
    The combat is a low point so far, very clunky, No shoulder swap, constantly getting upgraded weapons to swap out so always in them menus. I have played 2 and 3 before though so I'm determined to get thru this to get to the better games but I'm also enjoying the history of the universe and stuff I missed out on.

Done yet? I've just mainlined it with zero side quests and I think I'm near the end. It's going to turn out to be a much shorter game than I imagined. Very clunky and have had some bad bugs occur, but definitely worth the play through.

I got lost, I had to do 4 planet things that were all much the same and then according to Google illios would appear for me to go to and that would be the home run.
    After I did the 4 planet things there were others I could go to but nothing there, going citadel does nothing.
    According to Google etc iv done them in the wrong order but it shouldn't really affect my progress.
    (It has I spent around 2 hours just trying to figure out where to go next to no avail.)

Put witcher 3 on to see how it looked and I'm dangerously addicted.

Il go back and do a whole run thru main route only with a guide of where to go I think before I start on 2 and 3.

Mate keeps wanting me to play cod dmz but it's a bit shit with just 2 of us.
  • Weird. You checked the journal missions tab? I just kept going there to find where to go next.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!