All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Well, you know, the picture’s just better with analogue, isn’t it? Warmer. More real.
  • What he’s done there is he’s taken tv point faceplates and attached them to the back boxes that hopefully contain cat 5,6 or 7 cables that are sat there, hidden away, waiting for someone else to come along and attach some rj45 face plates instead.  Which will then provide internet everywhere as promised.  Nice of him, mind.

The key word here is hopefully. Ask him this: what’s behind that faceplate?? If it’s Ethernet patch cables hooray (as long as cat6 minimum). If it’s virgin shite you’re tucked. If it s anything else give me his number so I can troll him
  • I’ve literally just finished the final hook up of our wired network today. So. Many. Patch leads.

Ah! Two questions please:

1) how did you do this to an existing property ie how did you lay the patch cables? Lots of making good / replastering?

2) one of my patch cables seems to be fucked and im considering pulling a replacement through. Is this plausible?? Like gaffer tape new cable to end of old cable, pull through from other side and hope tape holds?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm pretty sure Virgin comes in as coaxial. Unless you get fibre to the premises that's what everyone gets?  Even with fibre to the premises if probably goes to coaxial inside the house unless the cable modem has a fibre port, so it could be of some use.

If he has the points connected up and has one beside the current point of entry then it lets you put your cable modem/router wherever you like. That could be handy. You would need separate ethernet cabling to separate your cable modem and router though.

It could also be used for connecting to a Freeview ariel but you need cabling up into the loft obvs.

Optimal would be if he has a network of ducting connecting them up which would allow you pull through whatever you like (provided he has something already in there).  Cat 6 isn't very pliable so having 90degree turns wouldn't be good to have in that situation.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Virgin comes in as coaxial. Unless you get fibre to the premises that's what everyone gets?  Even with fibre to the premises if probably goes to coaxial inside the house unless the cable modem has a fibre port, so it could be of some use.

Virgin is connected to the router with a connection that screws in, so it isn't coax.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    I’ve literally just finished the final hook up of our wired network today. So. Many. Patch leads.

Ah! Two questions please:

1) how did you do this to an existing property ie how did you lay the patch cables? Lots of making good / replastering?

2) one of my patch cables seems to be fucked and im considering pulling a replacement through. Is this plausible?? Like gaffer tape new cable to end of old cable, pull through from other side and hope tape holds?

1. We did most of the work as we were totally redoing the place with a full re-wire, all new plastering in every room etc etc, so mess wasn’t much of an issue. Depending on how your house is built then it perhaps could be just too much mess if you have solid walls everywhere that need chasing out and what have you. There’s always the option of running the cable externally I guess.

2. Yeah, you should be able to electric tape new to existing and pull through. Add the tape in a few areas as you go though so you aren’t just relying on one piece that rips half way through the pull….
  • davyK wrote:

Virgin is connected to the router with a connection that screws in, so it isn't coax.

Those are also coax cables. Just the connectors are different.

Regardless of that I think we're correct that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about and has just fucked it.

Definitely find out what he thinks is behind the face plates.
  • davyK wrote:

Virgin fibre uses ‘their own’ extra-shielded cable. I put that in inverted commas because it’s actually standard off the shelf stuff, but if you don’t use Virgin’s exact, branded, cable then they claim your cables are causing interference and reducing the signal strength of your whole neighbourhood. Upshot is they refuse tech support and threaten to cut you off unless you let their engineers come in and lay cable themselves.

Technically, yes, it’s a form of coaxial cable. In practice, it’s a heavily shielded version that uses Virgin’s own screw-fit connectors and not standard TV-style coax ones. If you try to use those faceplates to send a Virgin broadband/TV signal around the house then you’ll get a shitty connection. When you complain and Virgin send an engineer out, he’ll blame those connections and tell you that you’ll be cut off if you don’t stop using them.
  • Could just be me misunderstanding what he said and it’s actually Freeview stuff. Language barrier and all that.

Meeting him this week to chat final work on the house so will ask him then.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Freeview would make a lot more sense
  • Thanks unc, appreciated! I think like you: on plasterboarded partition walls I can probably get something done (still super messy) but far too much hassle for old solid walls.

Will try the pulling through though wish me luck
  • The workaround for old solid walls is to route cables behind the skirting boards, then you only have to deal with travelling upwards to each socket.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's a neat solution.  Practical if your modem/router is sitting low too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Virgin fibre uses ‘their own’ extra-shielded cable. I put that in inverted commas because it’s actually standard off the shelf stuff, but if you don’t use Virgin’s exact, branded, cable then they claim your cables are causing interference and reducing the signal strength of your whole neighbourhood. Upshot is they refuse tech support and threaten to cut you off unless you let their engineers come in and lay cable themselves. Technically, yes, it’s a form of coaxial cable. In practice, it’s a heavily shielded version that uses Virgin’s own screw-fit connectors and not standard TV-style coax ones. If you try to use those faceplates to send a Virgin broadband/TV signal around the house then you’ll get a shitty connection. When you complain and Virgin send an engineer out, he’ll blame those connections and tell you that you’ll be cut off if you don’t stop using them.

I could see Virgin doing that. It's a fair point. With Virgin you are just better putting their box into modem mode and using a good router if you are having wifi coverage issues.  It's worked great since I did that. Bought a tendawifi router.   Saved me having to consider getting some mesh devices.

Post extension our house got a good bit bigger and now has lots of steel beams. The Virgin box wasn't bad but once we started working at home it just didn't seem to be able to handle the work. So offloading that to a dedicated router did the trick.

You could have a wired data network in your house and connect the virgin box to that and then place your router at an optimal location.
  • davyK wrote:
    You could have a wired data network in your house and connect the virgin box to that and then place your router at an optimal location.

Yeah, that’s the winning option. Virgin are actually pretty good in that they’ll send out an installer for free if you tell them you’re renovating and need their box moved.

We did that at our flat and had their cable routed in through the wall behind skirting, and passed through to an internal cupboard – so no wires visible and the Virgin box was inside the cupboard. Also had our sparky fit a double socket in there, so we could stand the router on the top shelf and close the cupboard door.

What was frustrating though was that we’d also paid out to have extension cables run under the floor from there to a couple of alternative locations – so we could reconfigure the room in future if we wanted to. We did the research, used exactly the right spec of cable, etc. But Virgin vetoed the use of any of that on the grounds that it wasn’t their own cable and that they don’t allow junctions, sockets, etc of any sort.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Well, you know, the picture’s just better with analogue, isn’t it? Warmer. More real.

Hahaha, where can I get Porridge in 12"gatefold
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • One of my neighbours out the back of our house has a fire pit of something in their back garden and they just love to spend those long summer evenings sitting out there listening to music. I'm sure they're having a lovely old time but I hate them and their stupid fire pit.

It means we have to be really careful when we have washing hanging out as it makes it stink. We can't open the back windows as the smoke from wood is terrible for you and again, it stinks.

It's more an annoyance right now as our bedroom's at the front of the house so it's mostly fine but next year the baby will be sleeping in his room at the back of the house and we're going to need to have a window open during the summer.

The music is also far too loud for someone's back garden and I don't know how it doesn't drive everyone around them crazy.
  • Throw a shit over the fence
  • I'll aim for the stupid fire pit
  • Throw a fire pit over the fence.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Buy a couple of ninebars and drop them in his fire
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Here’s a rare example of honesty from an estate agent, in Colorado.

https://www.redfin.com/CO/Colorado-Springs/4525-Churchill-Ct-80906/home/34515765
    There is not one surface of the home that has not been enhanced with black spray paint or a swinging hammer - damage done by an angry departing tenant who didn’t want to pay rent. But don’t let that slow you down. It’s not nearly as daunting as the freezer in the basement that’s full of meat and hasn’t had electricity to it for over a year. 

There is a walk-out to a back deck – but don’t go out there as the deck is not necessarily attached to the house in the manner you might hope. 

The upstairs has a catwalk, large master with soaking tub and dual sinks, plus two additional bedrooms and bath – all covered in black spray paint, vulgarities, and other substances which are no longer identifiable. 

The basement is amazing – or at least it will be once all the debris is cleared out, the floor coverings are replaced, and the obscenities are painted over.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some might say that the property offers great scope for exciting development projects.

Whenever I see "in need of modernisation", I see "in need of deep pockets, an industrial strength marriage and a second home".
  • We were totally up for buying a wreck and doing it up this time around, but every one we found went for sky-high prices to professional developers. The final bids were always close to what the property would have been worth on completion. That puts the idea in the realm of professionals only, because you’re on to thin profit margins and so you need to be doing lots of them.

We thought we could buy cheap and invest the rest of our cash/mortgage in refurbishment, but when the ‘buying cheap’ part is removed, the whole idea is fucked.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So I was informed today that the house I'm living in requires major work to ensure it is structurally sound and that I need to vacate by October.

Whoo!
  • Fuck!
  • Gonna cost a lot? Got a quote yet for the works?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's not going to cost me anything, it's a rental, but it does mean I have to find somewhere else to live and move all my shit.
  • And Isla’s shit! Need help?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!