All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • If you're set on buying something Davy's suggestion seems good.
  • I spent so long faffing with a needless gif that I missed Davy's suggestion. Sorry Davy!

Yeah, I may look at one of those actually. Particularly as that one looks like it folds up quite well too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That one looks quite fancy. Mine is very basic. But it will be useful to have generally.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Would it make taking things up stairs easier?
  • Oh I need one of those! What are they called? The name has completely fallen out of my head!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sack barrow, sack truck or sack trolley.
    To get stuff up lots of stairs you really need the ones with three wheels on either side. You can get ones with bigger wheels that will be alright for a small step.
  • Sack truck.

Used one to shift an arcade last weekend, would agree with Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mine has quite chunky wheels with pneumatic tyres.

My Asteroids cabinet is 6ft tall and weighs 300lbs/130+Kg. I took it up a shallow slope using mine. It was delivered to my garage and there's a step up from that into the main house. I had to use a piece of wood as a ramp as pulling it up one step while maintaining the right angle was a challenge...

Even with the right equipment there's no way I'd take that monster upstairs!!  :)
  • Ah that's right, thanks! I'll grab one for my heavy punch bags. Wife hates them being in the conservatory so I have to frequently move them in and out.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think we might be about to buy our first home! We applied for a shared ownership programme for a new build development just a few miles north of where we are now and today they confirmed that they heard from the mortgage advisor who is reviewing our finances and they would like to formally offer us one of the plots we chose! They want to invite us to come view it next week!

I'm so fucking excited!
  • davyK wrote:
    71ZTAKYaZ%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

I borrowed one of these to move a washing machine all the way from our barn to the house this afternoon. Now I want one of my own, because there’ll always be another heavy thing to move, right?
  • One of those is always going to be a sound investment.
  • I think we might be about to buy our first home! We applied for a shared ownership programme for a new build development just a few miles north of where we are now and today they confirmed that they heard from the mortgage advisor who is reviewing our finances and they would like to formally offer us one of the plots we chose! They want to invite us to come view it next week!

I'm so fucking excited!

Awesome news! Congrats! :D
  • nick_md wrote:
    One of those is always going to be a sound investment.

At the last design agency I worked for, we had a company pickup truck. A big, bouncy Mitsubishi L200. The reason was “Somebody is always going to need to move a fridge.”
  • We just had a meeting with the agent from the housing development and despite her doing her best to sell us on the next step of the shared ownership programme and giving us a virtual tour of our house we decided to walk away.

Too many issues for me to be happy there, we drove past the site where the new builds are going up and found out our house would back onto a small area of land that is being sold off soon. Next to that is a concrete plant with lorries and mixers going in and out all day.

Limited visitor parking plus our allocated spaces are to the side of our house, the neighbors would be parked right outside our bay windows in the lounge meaning if they had a large car or a van then we would have that as our main view.

The land behind that's being sold off would also mean that potentially we could be living next to a building site for the next year or two.

Too much uncertainty for me. As I said, if I'm more anxious than excited about our new family home then it's not right.

Which is a real shame as the house itself is perfect!! Just how I pictured our ideal family home. And the garden plans are perfect for us too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There will be another.

You are being very sensible as compromises don't look so bad when you are excited about a house. It takes a cool head because you have to live with compromises 24/7.
  • Sounds like you're dodging a bullet Wooks.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • +1 for playing it safe. Biggest purchase you’ll ever make, and the place you’ll actually live. It’s worth sweating the details. There’ll be others to look at.
  • One of the local farmers came round today to tell us that he’s rented the field behind our meadow for his cows. Gave us his phone number ‘just in case they’re ever a bother, or you see one escaping’.

Still taking me by surprise, this country thing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Those wild flowers in your meadow will be taunting them.
  • … And now said farmer is annoyed with our nasty ex-neighbour. Apparently last month he offered to buy the fields instead of renting them and was told “Oh, I’m not selling them. No chance.” 

Yesterday the fields went up for sale. The old guy just wanted some animals in his fields ready for when prospective buyers come to view. The farmer was led to believe he’d be renting them indefinitely, so now he’s worried about having to find another home for all his sheep and cattle – and having to move them all again at no small cost. FFS, there’s no end to this old man’s snide behaviour is there?
  • On top of that, our new neighbour has been in floods of tears because all her plans for enlarging/extending the wee cottage are falling through. Again, all because the old bastard selling told her that “It already has planning permission and you can get site access for the works through this meadow.”

I’ve not much sympathy though. If you’re buying a house you fucking check these things. You don’t take the word of the vendor.

The pre-existing permission was just a planning exemption (that applies to most of Scotland) which allows you to get automatic approval for a tiny addition - must be at the back, maximum one storey, and max of 3m protrusion form the existing back wall. She has had plans drawn up for a two storey mega-extension that more than doubles the size of her house, and adds balconies and dormas at the front. Nae chance.

I asked her if she’d read her title deeds. Nope. If her solicitor had warned her about all the restrictions in the deeds. Nope - she didn’t even tell the solicitor about her extension plans. Fucksake … The title deeds forbid any extensions of any sort, and even any alterations to the appearance, unless you are the original developer of the site (ie. the old bastard who sold her it and moved out).
  • Guaranteed your bastard neighbour will live to a ripe old age surrounded by loving grand and great grandchildren and will die peacefully in his sleep at the age of 112.
  • And there’s another chapter to come. The septic tank which serves the whole development is due a service/empty, so I’ve been contacted by Scottish Water and SEPA about it. Turns out the cover for the tank, which I thought was at the bottom of her garden, is er … actually in my garden. The sneaky old bastard had put his garden fence deliberately in the wrong place and annexed extra land that actually belongs to us. So now I’m going to have to be the bearer of bad news and go tell this poor woman that I’m taking part of her garden off her as well.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Guaranteed your bastard neighbour will live to a ripe old age surrounded by loving grand and great grandchildren and will die peacefully in his sleep at the age of 112.

All apart from the ‘loving’ bit. I met one of his daughters. “By the way, he’s not my fucking father. Not in any meaningful sense. I can’t stand him.”
  • My first thought when I heard about the fields going up for sale was that I’ve always wanted an Ariel Nomad but have never been able to think where I would drive it in the UK.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I hope you're writing all the details down for a future sitcom.
  • What a situation to be in for that woman.
    It is for the most her fault for not checking what should be pretty obvious things to check if you have such grand plans but I still feel some empathy.

The punishment far out weighs the crime of negligence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!