All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I guess if you can excavate duplex basements under London terraced flats for Russian oligarchs, you can also find a way of getting site access through that tiny cottage. But it’s not gonna be cheap or easy.

This was exactly the weird equivalence my brain went to, seeing all these conveyors coming up through a front standing and into a skip, while they remove god knows how many tonnes of hardcore. But yeah that map really does illuminate it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I know this doesn’t matter, and probably won’t for ages, but we looked into it last night out of curiosity.

So the old bugger next door told the buyer that there was pre-existing planning permission and she would be able to build an extension, no problem. So she’s bought the place on that assumption.

We checked. Planning permission was granted, but so long ago it has lapsed already. And it stipulated that any extension could only be a maximum of 3x4m and 3m high (single storey with a pitched roof). Also it wouldn’t be allowed any windows on the sides because of proximity to neighbour boundaries.

Seems like we have very little to worry about, but it’ll be a big disappointment for the new owner. Looks like she took the old guy’s word for it and didn’t look into any of the details herself. Oops.
  • Anyone ever fixed a kitchen extractor fan? Ours has suddenly stopped working without warning. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but I'm assuming it may be a case of swapping the motor? Anyone had any experience of fixing these or should we just plump for a new one?
  • Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I applaud anyone looking to repair rather than replace, however it is often not economically sound to do so. Good luck though, hope there are some spare parts out there. First thing I do is google the model number and manual to see if it's online anywhere and then you might have part numbers in the manual. Failing that it's a case of opening her up and hoping the part numbers are still printed on the part themselves
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Neesoniwillfindyou.gif
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I applaud anyone looking to repair rather than replace, however it is often not economically sound to do so. Good luck though, hope there are some spare parts out there. First thing I do is google the model number and manual to see if it's online anywhere and then you might have part numbers in the manual. Failing that it's a case of opening her up and hoping the part numbers are still printed on the part themselves

Long story short, we hope to move out of here next year (my wife co-owns with her sister) so I don't particularly want to invest too much into replacing. I thought maybe replacing the motor might be doable and save me the hassle and potential expense of pulling the whole thing off the wall and putting a new one in.

lTr21Dp.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Have you opened her up yet, just it seems more likely to be the switches or wiring than the motor itself. Especially in an application like that where it runs infrequently and under a pretty low load. Get a multimeter and have a rummage around. It might just be a replacement switch or a reflux on a soldering joint :crosses fingers:

edit: based on nothing other than a brief thought, I have zero DIY skills, except in my sex life
  • We have the exact same extractor fan!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sorry, I can't be of more help than to shout that we have the same.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Have you opened her up yet, just it seems more likely to be the switches or wiring than the motor itself. Especially in an application like that where it runs infrequently and under a pretty low load. Get a multimeter and have a rummage around. It might just be a replacement switch or a reflux on a soldering joint :crosses fingers:

edit: based on nothing other than a brief thought, I have zero DIY skills, except in my sex life

:D yep, sorry I forgot to say that I've taken off the filter and can see the innerworkings. A multimeter is a good shout. I was hoping someone may have done this before so I could narrow down this issue, but cheers Cocko.
    Sorry, I can't be of more help than to shout that we have the same.

Fancy swapping?
  • Nah you're ok
  • I bet it's all covered in grease
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I bet the twat even uses it when he's cooking, right?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I know this doesn’t matter, and probably won’t for ages, but we looked into it last night out of curiosity.

So the old bugger next door told the buyer that there was pre-existing planning permission and she would be able to build an extension, no problem. So she’s bought the place on that assumption.

We checked. Planning permission was granted, but so long ago it has lapsed already. And it stipulated that any extension could only be a maximum of 3x4m and 3m high (single storey with a pitched roof). Also it wouldn’t be allowed any windows on the sides because of proximity to neighbour boundaries.

Seems like we have very little to worry about, but it’ll be a big disappointment for the new owner. Looks like she took the old guy’s word for it and didn’t look into any of the details herself. Oops.

Hopefully he can get sued, and she can still keep the house...
  • Fuck me, just spent two hours shifting an arcade cabinet out of my house, down 6 steps onto the street. Had to take both the porch door and the front door off to get it out. Had to call on a neighbour to help me and the fella who picked it up get it out, thing is heavy as fuck. Fuck me. Hands are shaking the graft was that hard. Then had to re-hang the doors again which isn't light work. Jesus. We thought for a while it just wasn't going to happen. Glad it's done now though, big corner of the room freed up for a record player and little vinyl collection.

Fucking hell that thing was heavy, CRT monitor in it.

Nice chat with the guy who took it off me though, arcade collector from Leeds, said he has about 12 in his double garage, lots of original boards etc.

Gonna repeat myself though, that thing was heavy as a bastard, and awkwardly shaped. The doors I took off are old as fuck too and the screws holding the hinges barely shifted, was worried they wouldn't come out at first, slightly worried the doors will drop off now that they're back on.

That's me done for the day, nothing more arduous than a trip to the shop down the road later thank you very much.

Next task: fitting a new loft hatch clasp on Monday. Wish me luck lads, this is me trying to actually DIY seeing as I'm a homeowner and not spunking money on a bloke to do it for me, which is what I've done previously.
  • The work is very nearly done to our place... I'll upload pics next week or so once it's all in and done.

Question: we have an integrated kitchen bin drawer in our new kitchen, anyone else have one? If so: have you got a liner for the recycling and food bit? Don't want to just use bags and throw them away each week but also don't want the bin itself to get dirty.

It's like this:

M8vH36A.jpg
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Get compostable bags for the food section, at least. These guys do them to fit just about any size: http://www.caddylinersdirect.co.uk/shop/

The rest will depend on how you end up using them, I guess. I don’t bother with liners for my paper or plastic bins, but I do for my aluminium bin (because cans are often wet when I chuck ’em in there).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We have that type only with just the two bins - but we just use one for non-recyclable rubbish. Food goes into compostable bags the Council provides for us with our brown bin. It tends to sit in the little half sink and goes out to the brown bin when full. We really should use it to line the 2nd bin comparment but I don't think the bag is big enough.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Compostable bags are the way to go.
  • Our council provides compostable (?) bags too. We also have a food waste bin that's collected separately from the other recycling.  Think it goes to the biomass centre.
  • Cheers fellas. Will see about the compost bags for the food bit, not sure about the cans/cardboard bit
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If you wash and dry your recycling you don't really need anything apart from the odd wipe down with a damp cloth
  • Has anyone ever hit upon a useful way of moving heavy furniture on carpet? I have a lump of a chest of drawers that's heavy even when empty. Just need to move it so I can decorate around it.

I've seen various devices like those in the link, but have never known anyone that has used them, so not entirely convinced they work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DDMVNZ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_MD7A0T11JRNXN9QRQ8EJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • It's got no legs.
  • Grow them in a box.

Dunno what you're trying to move but I've yet to be beaten by an item that can't be walked.  Use thick cardboard to protect the carpet/floor under pivoting corners if needed.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of the handiest things you will ever buy that people will want to borrow....

71ZTAKYaZ%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

I've moved fridges, ovens, asteroids cabinets, large potted plants you name it - all with a little hand truck like this.   Mine has tyres which are kinder on a carpet and I got it cheap from B&Q.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, I've usually adopted that method, but it's kind of hemmed in. I will inevitably fallback on that option if need be, but means a lot of shifting of neighbouring furniture too. I am curious about gizmos that claim to take the misery out of such tasks.

MFAoM9s.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!