All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • Vertically
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FFS
  • Hallways and corridors longways.

In all but the narrowest of rooms I would say perpendicular to the wall with the focal point so you spend most of your time looking at the flooring longways drawing your eye across the room.

If the room is zoned like a modern open plan kitchen/living space then parallel to the dividing line between the spaces.

There is no hard and fast rule though. Other than hallways and corridors.
  • That's what I'm thinking. It's in the hallway, but also in the new kitchen/diner/den type space...so I'm saying all the same way, longways/ along the length of the house
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Just had a look back on your cg pics and that looks the correct way to me for that room.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vegetable patch dug in garden, compost area sorted, shed painted. Tomorrow THE FENCE gets a big lick
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    HYcc3Um.jpg
  • Keep up Reg, we have a gardening thread now.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    HYcc3Um.jpg

See Matty, Reg has fucked it here by putting the floorboards vertically, and only around the edge. These are the sort of mistakes you'll want to avoid.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have to go and die the death of bad gardener tonight
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Trying to figure out which way the flooring should run in the house is apparently a harder decision than I thought

With some flooring, it has to run opposite to the floorboards.
    Another recomendation is to run it in the direction if incoming sunlight.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Good: Our annoying neighbour moves out tomorrow. 

Bad: Mrs poprock just met the new neighbour moving in tomorrow, who proudly announced her plan to build a double height extension on the back of the cottage, more than doubling its size.

The only way she can build anything there is by giving all her contractors/trucks/machinery access through our meadow. Which would thoroughly fuck it for at least a year, probably two, just as we’re trying to encourage it back into some form of wildflower life.

Uh-oh.
  • Yes! I am the right age to understand that reference.
  • If they go through with it, you can always mark a roadway out with some poles and tape, to stop them just driving all over the whole thing, I would imagine.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • We’ll be a long way away from worrying about it, I’m sure. 

I’m not against her building stuff - even though it’ll negatively affect our view, our house value, and also quality of life during construction. Definitely not a NIMBY thing. But there’s a worrying streak behind announcing it as the reason she bought the place … if I were doing that I’d be working out site access and asking the neighbours before putting my offer in.
  • This is what you get for buying a fancy house Pop. You are now living alongside the entitled.
    ;)
  • Heh. I get what I deserve.

Whatever sacrifices I may have to make along the way, I’ll still be in absolute hog heaven living here. It’d take a hell of a lot more than this to wipe the shit-eating grin off my face.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    If they go through with it, you can always mark a roadway out with some poles and tape, to stop them just driving all over the whole thing, I would imagine.

I suppose even if you give them permission to do so in the first place

I assume that "the right to ramble" doesn't apply to JCBs
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They get the right to Rumble. Or the right to rubble? Can’t decide which is better.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    If they go through with it, you can always mark a roadway out with some poles and tape, to stop them just driving all over the whole thing, I would imagine.
    I suppose even if you give them permission to do so in the first place I assume that "the right to ramble" doesn't apply to JCBs

Yeah sorry, this is based on the assumption Poppo grants permission for access over the meadow. Although I'm surprised they can't access the rear of the property from any other angle. Depending on the work and the framing they may just be able to get away with those little mini excavators you can drive through a doorway and then any steels can be craned in over the house, or carried through and raised by hand/jacked into place.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I'm surprised they can't access the rear of the property from any other angle.

There are only two options for access to the rear: through our meadow or through another two neighbours’ gardens. Her cottage is basically terraced - and the front door is through a shared entrance with the neighbour.

I know it sounds bizarre. See if this helps get your head around it.

The red is ours.
    Yellow is the cottage this woman’s just bought.
    Blue is the other main landowning neighbour.
    Green is the rest of the neighbours places.

9ZzOD1Q.jpg
  • What a strange setup for property and land.
  • poprock wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    I'm surprised they can't access the rear of the property from any other angle.
    There are only two options for access to the rear: through our meadow or through another two neighbours’ gardens. Her cottage is basically terraced - and the front door is through a shared entrance with the neighbour. I know it sounds bizarre. See if this helps get your head around it. The red is ours. Yellow is the cottage this woman’s just bought. Blue is the other main landowning neighbour. Green is the rest of the neighbours places. 9ZzOD1Q.jpg

LMAO.
  • Imagine looking at the yellow bit on a plan and thinking “Yep, I’ll be able to build behind that.”

Aye, you can. If you carry every brick, steel bar and all the other materials through your house by hand. And dismantle all the plant equipment, carry it through in pieces, then rebuild it in your back garden.

Alternatively, knock your house down and rebuild it afterwards. But you’ll need to work out how to do that without disturbing your terraced neighbour who actually shares your front door.
  • I guess if you can excavate duplex basements under London terraced flats for Russian oligarchs, you can also find a way of getting site access through that tiny cottage. But it’s not gonna be cheap or easy.
  • Sell them access through your meadow.

Make a tidy profit.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Just forget about it for now. Once they've got planning in see if you can live with the proposed and leverage any changes you want with access.
  • n0face wrote:
    Just forget about it for now. Once they've got planning in see if you can live with the proposed and leverage any changes you want with access.

This is the plan. Just chatting shit about it here for a few minutes.

I feel sorry for the new owner/neighbour. She’s likely been sold all sorts of nonsense by the old bastard next-door and is going to get a hard bump down to reality when she moves in and meets the rest of us.

We overheard him pointing across our land to the loch and telling her how she could walk straight there. Er … nope. Not over our fence, through our meadow, over the next fence, and through fields belonging to two different private farms.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!