All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh yus.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Had word this week that the Mother-in-laws house will not be transferred to her Daughter's joint ownership until at least December 8th, bringing all our plans crashing down somewhat.  So, we can't get our house on sale, we can't legally make an offer on that house and it continues to be unoccupied, with all the (shared) heating and insurance costs that entails.

Everyone concerned seems to have gone "oh well" and started to chill out about it, but I don't seem able to let the stress go.

In similar news - I'm in Sheffield today to get the cash for the fascia's / soffits guy who starts tomorrow.  And of course as soon as I got to the office he phoned and asked if he can start today!  FFS.
  • You’re gonna remain stressed because for you this causes uncertainty. Uncertainty triggers stress for damn near everybody. The others are relaxing because for them this brings certainty instead - they’re certain that nothing’s happening for a while.

You can just tell the soffits guy ‘no’. It’s okay to say no. He asked, you answer.
  • We have been trying to get a house under the shared ownership programme, lots of new builds going up around us being made available for first time buyers on a 40% share minimum buy.

We applied ages ago and have just had an email to confirm that we now have a mortgage agreement in principle for a 75% of a 3 bed house in our area!!

So thrilled!!
    Next step is for the housing company to agree to sell us the house and then... It's ours!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Nice one Wookie!
  • So so excited. And on Bake Off night too! What a great Tuesday!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Nice one Wookie, that's great! I'm not entirely sure what shared ownership means tho
  • Shared ownership means we buy a percentage of the house via mortgage and pay rent on the rest. We then staircase up to 100% over the years or if we decide to sell we sell our share.

In this case we will own 75% and pay a small amount of rent to the housing association on the other 25%.
  • I put up a curtain pole today. With a drill and everything. I feel great.

The curtains we bought though are a little short, which is not so great. Sorry, Hair. Mans gotta have privacy.
  • Good stuff Gav, nothing feels better than successfully completing some DIY :) Celebrate with a beer tonight
  • Just ordered a gyro off ubereats with a 50% off code too. CASHBACK.
  • Another 5k taken out of the bank today. Train journeys are fun with the knowledge of that in your rucksack...

Only another three visits to go!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why are you carrying around 5k in cash?
  • That's all the bank will let him have in one go.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hitmen don't accept credit cards.
  • Credit cards are too small to make bricks.
  • n0face wrote:
    That's all the bank will let him have in one go.

It's not , but it's all I'm comfortable carrying around in one go.

Took out 3800 last week. 5k today. Another 14 to go. All on a house we don't legally own even 50% of yet. Proper heart-attack stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Our builders have finally left, after six months! Praise be!

Still got some last bits to sort (couple of sofas, TV on wall, some bits upstairs), but we're finally basically there. Which is deeply exciting. I even now have a dishwasher! And a boiling water tap!
  • Bourgeois Achievement Attained.
  • Good stuff! Having a dishwasher is essential IMO.

As ours is a new build we had to buy off plan. Yesterday the housing association told me it's all built and ready to go so we took a drive over to see it.
    It looks perfect! Location is excellent, garden is big and I spoke to what will soon be our new neighbours.
    Lovely couple with a couple of young kids, they said that all the neighbours on our street have young kids about the same age as mine, they are all really nice and everyone gets on really well. He said it's so peaceful of an evening and you rarely hear a sound.
    There's hardly any traffic as it's a cul de sac and the kids all play outside in the street.

I'm so excited. Still haven't seen the interior yet! Booking a proper full viewing today.

Such an exciting time
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good times all round.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Today I finally got rid of the last of the previous incumbents shite. Two divan beds and a mattress that a very kind gentleman running a furniture charity thingy came and got yesterday, then today I dismantled the fucked double frame that was against the wall in the second room (soon to be her office) and took it to the dump. Had it up as a freebie on fb marketplace but I couldn't be arsed anymore with the "is this still available?? How big is it EVEN THOUGH YOU PUT THE SIZE IN THE DESCRIPTION???" nonsense.

Almost there with the unpacking. Kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are done. Just my vinyl and other electronics, and tomorrow a new mattress very kindly bought for us by her mum is arriving from IKEA. Class! Still feels like I'm living away somewhere for a time, but we'll get there!
  • Muzzy, Wookie and Gav all bossing it in this thread. Lovely to see.
  • We've been trying to sell/give away some of the furniture in our house to make space during our spring clearout and got no interest. It was up on FB marketplace for ages and we've given up. When we move I'm just taking it all to the recycling centre rather than faffing about with timewasters online.

Now we know the goal is to move by christmas the pressure is on to start the big clearout.
    Next week we will begin and focus on one room a week with me resigned to spending every weekend driving back and forth to the recycling centre.
    As exciting as it is, I fucking hate moving.
  • Related to my post, looking for something cheap and small to store my vinyl and maybe have the turntable or speaker on top? Any ideas? One of those "I'll know when I see it" ones.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tiana+Rack.jpg

Any good?
  • I like the tagliatelle shelf.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Something like that is perfect goobs, what's the damage?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!