All your Homebase are belong to... you! / The House 'n' Home Thread.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

Seems to have gone down to £68 in the last few minutes, and also £15 off your first purchase when you sign up for an account.
  • Hmm. Maybe next payday! Cheers! Forgot about that site as well.
  • Oh! I'll speak to the boss.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Before you know it you will be reaching for the light switch and finding it without looking. Then you know you're home. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The new place we moved into last weekend had some pretty ropey kitchen counter tops. Sarah suggested trying some vinyl self adhesive wrap type thing to cover them up. I will admit to being sceptical but I've just fitted one on the smallest counter and it actually looks pretty decent even if I do say so myself.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sounds like what BHD did to his xbox
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Probably not dissimilar, although I didn't got for the pleather look.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From this:
    lrhDrK3.jpg

To this:
    3KipBlM.jpg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nice, you handy bastard
  • Ooooh, very nice!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • That does look decent, excellent work Goobs.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Ugh. Party bloody wall agreements for the loft conversion.

One neighbour is absolutely fine, no surveyor fees required.
    Other neighbour (landlord, doesn't live there) - can't tell if he's stalling for a bribe or something. Refuses to answer emails until over a week after receipt and demands plan after plan re how the loft conversion will affect the party wall (and this is from someone who has had a velux conversion in their own loft)

If his house was a palace then I'd understand, but it's an absolute dump, front door literally rotting in the frame.

Got a bad feeling my decorating budget is going to go on extra surveyors fees because of the twat.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We had the same (one side fine, the other not so much).  Deeply tedious.
  • Piss through his letter box
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What are you doing to the party wall?
  • Piss through his letter box

His tennants don't deserve my foul smelling pish.

• What are you doing to the party wall?

Basically add steel beams to reinforce the loft floor so it can be used as a habitable space. It's not a stretch from how you add a RSJ when knocking through a wall (which he also has had done).
    The steels are fixed to the party wall. Minor chance of plaster cracking on his side which I'd be perfectly happy to pay to be fixed, trouble is if he keeps stallinng I'll have to pay at least a grand to get the agreement drawn up as he'll legally be in dispute. That's more than any repairs should come to if something does go wrong.

• Could have sworn I asked before but Goobs, do can you like the that vinyl stuff?  I have never liked the worktops we chose.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've only done one worktop with it so far (just checking to see how well it holds up to a bit of use) but it was pretty easy to fit, and forgiving ( a couple of times I put it down in the wrong place and was able to recover it).

It is only recommend for temperatures under 70°c so you can't put hot pans down directly on it, and I doubt it's particularly hard wearing, so no cutting directly on it (but what kind of psycho does that anyway?). We wen for a fairly similar colour to what was already there mainly so if I was slightly off in measuring it wouldn't be noticeable, but I think it's pretty easy to get right actually sobi wouldn't be concerned about going with a contrasting colour if I did it again.

It feels fine and is pretty cheap so worth giving it a try.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What are you doing to the party wall?

Basically add steel beams to reinforce the loft floor so it can be used as a habitable space. It's not a stretch from how you add a RSJ when knocking through a wall (which he also has had done).
    The steels are fixed to the party wall. Minor chance of plaster cracking on his side which I'd be perfectly happy to pay to be fixed, trouble is if he keeps stallinng I'll have to pay at least a grand to get the agreement drawn up as he'll legally be in dispute. That's more than any repairs should come to if something does go wrong.

Bugger. What would happen if you just did the work without his agreement?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spent today moving heavy things around as Wifey figures out how she wants a room laid out post new flooring.
  • In-laws started pushing again about us selling up last week.  The house move will absolutely be worth it in the end, but this is all leaving a terrible taste in the mouth.  Perhaps understandable, but they are coming at it from the absolute opposite direction as us.  To me it's pretty simple:

- The house will not be legally co-owned by them/us until at least December 8th.  That's the earliest - Land Registry haven't even checked the forms to tell us if there's a problem with the application as yet.
     - We therefore cannot sell our house before that point.

Am I wrong in thinking that?  Happy to be educated.

On the other hand they are looking at it like so:

- We are not allowed to move into that house until they get their money.
     - There's nothing to stop us from having our current house on sale while we wait.

So, even though nobody legally owns that house yet, it's perfectly reasonable to expect us to sell ours and hand over the money, ahead of any actual due-process?

Gah.

x
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I suppose you could put it on the market, but you wouldn't be able to exchange contracts until you know what is happening with the other house.
  • If you put your house on sale, and someone pops up with no chain and puts in an offer, you're fucked.

Unless they agree to let you move in earlier, tell them to fuck off.
  • I cant see a buyer completing on buying your place before then.
    Probably wont happen until the new year.

In regards to the place you are moving into. You transfer the money the day you move. Treat it like any other house purchase.
  • We'd been expecting the Land Registry application to be completed by now and what we'd been hoping to do was move into the house while ours was on sale, allowing this place to be nice and tidy and presentable at all times, for lots of quick and easy viewings.  firstly, they put a stop to that, so fine, we are living on top of each other in the usual family shithole and secondly the application got delayed by over two months.

@Livdiv you are right - they seem to think they'll be getting this money somehow ahead of any kind of legal completion, or before any kind of search even takes place.  I don't think so.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Too many dotted lines to be signed and boxes to be ticked to go to market yet.

All this stuff has to be in the bag. Too easy for delays from one of many possible fuck ups that could happen getting red tape sorted.

This is just like any other house purchase / sell. A tedious labyrinth of documentation that needs sorted out before any appropriate steps are taken. This one is made more complex by the current ownership of said property.

Has the property you are looking at moving into been surveyed? You don't want rushed into anything before making a commitment. Just because it was family owned doesn't mean there could be something that needs sorting out and having its price adjusted accordingly. So don't be skipping on that. Treat this as a normal house purchase. And take it step by step.

Do something out of sequence and you could end up back at the start and be out of pocket.

• Bugger. What would happen if you just did the work without his agreement?

It's actually illegal for me do do so and he could get an injunction to halt any work once it's started. As he's never there there's a chance I could get away with it, but I don't want to risk it now he knows.

• I've an urgent need to get CCTV and a house alarm set up.  Need at least 3 floodlight / camera's for the outside, then whatever for inside.

Any good recommendations?

Thanks

x
  • An urgent need? 
    I always used to point people towards this page for advice 
    Herts Police home security advice page

It has a link to a site called "OWLprotect" which gives discounts.

Can't make any recommendations on products other than the Ring Doorbells. They have proved VERY useful in identifying criminals

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!