Looty & "Keep"?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You reckon this is gambling. Legally speaking, it’s not. If and when it is recognised as gambling, then this might start to become a question worthy of discussion.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d want an even higher standard of evidence.

I mean, ask a silly question.
    You would want to see evidence that those kids had become addicted to the cigarettes they were given before deciding whether or not you thought it was something harmful?

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    See above.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, that was a sensible answer which your daft question doesn’t warrant.

Actually, I’d ask the tobacco companies to investigate if it was harmful because they know their product best.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A game like Star Wars is in part aimed at kids. Progressing in the game is essentially hidden behind paid dice rolls. Whether that is officially recognised as gambling or not is irrelevant to having a stance on the morality of it.
  • In my opinion it's gambling by another name. It certainly seems to tweak the same desires. It's not surprising that our government is behind on the issue a) they seem a little preoccupied at the moment b) capitalism and shareholder value is more important than an individual dropping into debt or below the poverty line. They just need to be more responsible after all and then budget more effectively! Stupid proles!

Anyway as I mentioned, gambling or not, the effect these little pay walls may have on full price titles is something to be potentially concerned about.

Edit: To summarise Star Wars, character perk slots, character progression and weapon unlocks only come from loot crates. Each costs a minimum of 1,100 credits. The only way of getting credits is to play the matches for which you get 150 credits (so 10 matches), of you can buy the loot boxes or a credit pack fo real cash. Note that whilst you play the matches, you are getting battered by players who have already unlocked additional weapons and perks so are better equipped to kill you.

The boxes also contain shaders, victory poses and other cosmetic items, so opening a box doesn't guarantee any useful progression items.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You reckon this is gambling. Legally speaking, it’s not. If and when it is recognised as gambling, then this might start to become a question worthy of discussion.

You’ve been discussing it for 8 pages already. It’s gambling or ‘gambling-like’. It’s sufficiently similar to work in similar ways, causing the same effects, same potential for problems. This is all pretty clear. But you’ve set the threshold for accepting this to be some notional study that hasn’t been done yet on this specific, very recent, implementation. And as proved by your fags for kids answer, you’re just being intentionally obtuse so there we go. We’re done here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    A game like Star Wars is in part aimed at kids. Progressing in the game is essentially hidden behind paid dice rolls. Whether that is officially recognised as gambling or not is irrelevant to having a stance on the morality of it.

Is it actually hidden behind paid dice rolls? Are there things in the game which can only be gained from paid loot crates?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

You’ve been discussing it for 8 pages already. It’s gambling or ‘gambling-like’. It’s sufficiently similar to work in similar ways, causing the same effects, same potential for problems. This is all pretty clear. But you’ve set the threshold for accepting this to be some notional study that hasn’t been done yet. And as proved by your fags for kids answer, you’re just being intentionally obtuse so there we go. We’re done here.

I’m not being obtuse, you’re asking a silly question. I’m asking for proof of harm, your response is to ask me about something with a huge body of evidence about the harm it does.
  • Sorry Yoss, see my edit above re Star Wars. Yes, all progress items come from crates, nothing unlocks by playing (apart from credits to buy the boxes)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That sounds like it may well be game breaking, yes, but it will be difficult to judge for sure until playing it. Still, I’ll probably give it a miss based on that description, at least until people have had a chance to get a good feel for how it works in practise.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You’ve been discussing it for 8 pages already. It’s gambling or ‘gambling-like’. It’s sufficiently similar to work in similar ways, causing the same effects, same potential for problems. This is all pretty clear. But you’ve set the threshold for accepting this to be some notional study that hasn’t been done yet. And as proved by your fags for kids answer, you’re just being intentionally obtuse so there we go. We’re done here.
    I’m not being obtuse, you’re asking a silly question. I’m asking for proof of harm, your response is to ask me about something with a huge body of evidence about the harm it does.
    To get you to accept that some stuff is very likely to be harmful and should be stopped BEFORE it does harm, rather than waiting around for it do harm and then have a scientist put it in a nice bar chart for you. Now what if something was very, very similar to smoking (see where I'm going with this?). Sufficiently similar for a smoking regulator to class it as a smoking-like activity. Would that be worth stopping before hand? 

Letting kids gamble also does harm (loads of evidence on that). You wouldn't want actual recognisable gambling in a kids game would you? With real money and uncapped spending? Lootboxes are either actual gambling or very, very close to gambling, depending on whether you can win anything of actual value from the process. Why is this any different?

I said I'd stop and I haven't but I'll try now because this will never end. You initially started on the production cost defence then switched to this unreachable evidence test when that was debunked. Anyway, no worries. We all get to have an opinion.
  • Because the digital keys sold in loot boxes have no monetary value and people cannot sell or trade unwanted or duplicate keys, they are just even more obviously exploitative. 

Since consumers rarely have any rights with digital content the only palatable option is to sell the keys transparently. Let people know what armour, weapons, hats etc they are buying and how much for. Scrap the blind purchase altogether (this is where the distinction between football cards and digital nothings is salient because the former can be traded for real). 

Without this option the loot box mechanic is shown for what it is: a cynical exercise in getting money for nothing. Fuck any game that has it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As a general rule no, I don’t think that things should be banned based on the idea that they might do harm without evidence to support it, this is in large part how we’ve ended up with our ridiculous drug laws.

FWIW, I still haven’t watched that video, so you may feel my production costs argument has been debunked, but I’ve just left it alone because I have no idea what’s been presented on the other side.

Also, this isn’t an attempt to switch anything, there is more than one argument here.

Finally, what makes this evidence ‘unreachable’ exactly? We’ve got tonnes of evidence for harm caused by similar things, what makes this uniquely unreachable?
  • Some pretty strong opinions going round here and it's very interesting to hear of people's experiences and opinions. @DS I think you did the right thing stepping back, as someone who struggles to know my limit of various vices I can appreciate how it's easy to slip, even when it's clear others find it easy to limit themselves. I'm quite against the forum grain here but I'll reiterate that many companies try pretty damn hard to implement a fair gacha system. A couple of pickup notes:
    Vela wrote:
    Because the digital keys sold in loot boxes have no monetary value and people cannot sell or trade unwanted or duplicate keys, they are just even more obviously exploitative.

As mentioned before, a *good* gacha system should, imo, provide a dusting / crafting feature whereby any unwanted items gained can be spent towards something you *do* actually want. I believe Hearthstone does this. By having a dusting system every item has worth and is useful to the player.
    Vela wrote:
    Without this option the loot box mechanic is shown for what it is: a cynical exercise in getting money for nothing. Fuck any game that has it.

A gacha system in a F2P game is hardly asking for money for nothing, it's seeking a way to gain some financial reward for the free content it delivers.

Distinctions need to be made: F2P/Retail; Mobile/Console; Fair/Unfair; P2W/F2P, + others.

I've had to deal with the Japanese law around gacha and it's extremely regulated. Precise odds of each item in the pools have to be displayed to players, exact content available has to be displayed, in JP itself there are spending laws, and even the copy you place in in-game news has to be very carefully phrased. There are steps to protect customers and in my example the company I worked for implemented the majority of these for the WW version as well, despite not being obliged to.

I should also add that we keep using figures like £40 or £50 as the 'next thing you know you go and drop that' figure, as if this is what the regular user of gacha does, which simply isn't the case. The *vast* majority of monetising users do so for around the 99p - £5 mark, and do so once or twice, then never again. It's very rare, in my experience, for large swathes of the user base to be dropping large amounts. In fact large swathes of the user base don't spend a penny.

The key part for me atm is the P2W aspect. The title I played heavily had, imo, a very fair gacha system. F2P users typically accrued enough free hard currency per week to do a single pull on the gacha. If you don't receive anything of the highest value in 20 pulls, you get a guaranteed high value item. This gacha system supplemented weekly free units released that everyone can unlock through co-op or single player missions. It felt fair, and being a monetising user myself it was always good to have my arse handed to me by players using nothing but free units, used tactically.

I'm probably not changing anyone's minds tbh but I hope you can see that, despite appearances from some studios and publishers, there are devs out there striving to produce content that is financially viable whilst remaining fair and balanced.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I should also add that we keep using figures like £40 or £50 as the 'next thing you know you go and drop that' figure, as if this is what the regular user of gacha does, which simply isn't the case. The *vast* majority of monetising users do so for around the 99p - £5 mark, and do so once or twice, then never again. It's very rare, in my experience, for large swathes of the user base to be dropping large amounts. In fact large swathes of the user base don't spend a penny.

Because we're talking about people for which this might become a problem for, and no one is suggesting this would be anything like a large amount of the playerbase. It's a small proportion of players, but that fact that it's small doesn't mean nothing should be done. What you describe in Japan sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have any links to the regulations that would be in English?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure there are plenty of fair systems but I guess a lot of us would prefer that those systems didn't become part of games we play as we have no interest in them, particularly if they upset the balance of the game.
  • Because we're talking about people for which this might become a problem for, and no one is suggesting this would be anything like a large amount of the playerbase. It's a small proportion of players, but that fact that it's small doesn't mean nothing should be done. What you describe in Japan sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have any links to the regulations that would be in English?

I mentioned it because of all the 'burn it all down to the ground' comments. I got the impression everyone was thinking £50 drop ins are the norm.

A google for JP law on app spending will probably surface what you need; haven't read this but - https://www.wired.com/2012/04/japanese-social-games/ - sounds like it'll cover it.

A thing in JP as well is that the player base if very *very* V E R Y organised at complaining and demanding money back. They organise on social media instantly and whip up a shit storm on social sites like Lobi and 2ch, companies are literally scared of the backlash over there because each publisher has to deposit money to the Government each month to ensure they have enough money in the bank to pay out to players if they went tits up (i.e. cover player's unspent hard currency).

This is a very famous incident - https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/408wks/the_granblue_fantasy_scandal_and_japanese_social/ - two super rare units were advertised as having a higher drop rate, but players started to suspect that wasn't the case as no one was pulling them at all. They organised and (I think, I heard this anecdotally and haven't read the article) went on to spend vast amounts of money on the gacha to prove the odds out. When it started to become clear that the odds were broken, players then poured even more money in knowing that they would get it all back due to the strict laws. It was a huge scandal and massively costly for the developer.

I should check my facts there but I think I have roughly the details.
  • I should also add that we keep using figures like £40 or £50 as the 'next thing you know you go and drop that' figure, as if this is what the regular user of gacha does, which simply isn't the case. The *vast* majority of monetising users do so for around the 99p - £5 mark, and do so once or twice, then never again. It's very rare, in my experience, for large swathes of the user base to be dropping large amounts. In fact large swathes of the user base don't spend a penny.
    Because we're talking about people for which this might become a problem for, and no one is suggesting this would be anything like a large amount of the playerbase. It's a small proportion of players, but that fact that it's small doesn't mean nothing should be done.
    I'd add that if the majority of people don't spend much or anything then that's a more worrying sign in a sense. It means these games are mostly being funded by a small number of people spending loads (those whales again), and the developers/publishers are making them in full knowledge that this is the case. Now, if that small number of people are rich and have lots of disposable income then it's not a problem*, but what if they aren't?

*Except for the rich now getting an advantage even in gaming.
  • I've just got the thread title reference. Doh.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

You need a government to decide what is right and wrong for you?

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • WorKid wrote:
    I've just got the thread title reference. Doh.

Y'welcome.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd always quite fancied being wanked off by Sue. Matthew Corbett would need to be there too, obviously.
  • Ahh now I get it.
  • @nick thanks that's really interesting stuff. To be clear I brought up £40 to £50, but I was specifically referring to AAA games, and the amount you'd spend on the season pass plus a couple of boxes or card packs.

Also, for the record, I'm fully on board with the gatcha for F2P games. Income has to come from somewhere, and if I have enjoyed a game I will happily drop some money on it via IAPs or suchlike to support the dev. My concern is the way in which this is being implemented in mainstream AAA titles that you already pay for up front and with this some frameworks or protections that should be put in place.
  • While there's obviously personal culpability, these things are designed to be addictive in the same way as scratch cards, cigarettes or doughnuts. They're not benign, they're designed to be moreish and some people will fall foul of them.

(Most games can become addictive but at least they're not constantly trying to grab your wallet as well as your social life)
  • I'd always quite fancied being wanked off by Sue. Matthew Corbett would need to be there too, obviously.

I've been wanked off by Matthew Corbetts niece.
  • I'd say 'do tell' but I think that sentence says it all, aside from whether puppets were involved.
  • This thread has taken a turn.
  • Thankfully. Did you get inside Matthew Corbetts niece's loot box, Dante?

Fnarr fnarr.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!