The Apple Thread
  • That Music Tech review is interesting, I had missed that. Thanks Yoss. I didn’t know this bit: “The 16GB RAM in the M1 means more than it does in Apple’s predecessors, thanks to Apple’s Unified Memory Architecture.” It kind of confirms my conclusion tho - the M1 and unified memory thing is better, no doubt the new iMacs are better than my 2015 one of course, but if I’m looking for a new one for the next 5 years or so I’m happy to hold off a year or two for an M2 version with 32 GB as Boris mentions, because that should be a beast of a machine. That plus we need all the plug-in software suppliers to play nice with Apple Silicon. Universal Audio to start with ideally. Looking forward to Apple Silicon ‘Pro’ machines so I can have 60 instances of a Moog plugin playing my shit synth riffs instead of only 5.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Gah.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    At worst expect it in the new year. Also expect far quicker iterations of the M architecture. Apple were always held up by Intel who couldn’t get their act together. Expect it to follow the progress of the phones and iPads.so probably every two years significant power boosts.
  • Got the new airtags and to be honest they seem a bit shit.
  • What do they do?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    GPS locators essentially.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    With close range accuracy if you have a phone with a U1 chip in.
  • JMW wrote:
    Got the new airtags and to be honest they seem a bit shit.

In terms of “they don’t work as object locators”?
  • Physically, they’re a bit crap. No hole because of the obvious accessory cash grab, but I’d have probably been ok with that if they’d been black and flat. I’ve tried velcro-ing them to eg. tv remote and they look terrible.

But yeah, the object location is disappointing. Loses connection at very short distances (5ft or so), only becomes quite clever when you’re literally on top of what you’re looking for.

Main crapness though, is as a pet/kid locator - I know Apple said don’t, but I’d hoped that that was an absolving responsibility thing. It’s not, it’s because they’re shit. I tried one on my daughter in the park; they’ll accurate track the distance she was away but not the direction, but only up until 100ft and only if had made the connection at close distance. Beyond 100ft it’s basically iPhone-type accuracy, a vague area circle.

So - maybe you could just use it as a sounder, to alert your kid that it’s time to come back? Nope, not if it’s gone outside the 100ft range (which I’m assuming is using the U1, so no iPhone older than an 11.)

And one other stupid thing, your partner can’t see them on their phone - they can see all your devices on Find my..., and vice versa, but not Airtags. Shite.
  • Definitely the most disappointing thing I’ve bought from Apple, and that’s even as an early adopter.
  • Aye, that sounds like a complete waste of time and money.
  • My partner does want to keep them, she thinks they’re quite smart but they fall well below what I thought I was going to get.
  • Sounds like what they need to be for all functionality is some kind of mini phone complete with battery and mobile/gps connection.
    You might actually be better off buying a small cheap mobile phone.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • They’re supposed to use any nearby iOS device to transmit location over an encrypted network.

So might work if someone’s nabbed your dog and they’ve got an iPhone on them. But if your dog legs it off in the woods, no chance. The only useful application I’ve seen is as a household key finder with your phone.

But I keep my keys in a tray and it’s my phone that I’m always losing.
  • I hope they keep developing on them though. I’d like to stick one on the kid when we go out.
  • To be fair there’s probably some clever stuff that kicks in in a genuine lost scenario but it’s hardly ever going to happen so for pretty much everything else it’s a gimmick.
  • The use of these things appears to be to sell people a £35 keyring to keep them in.
  • Recently used up my old faded CeX vouchers to get the HomePod, which I wanted but couldn’t justify buying. Main reason now being I think it’ll go nicely in the new house were moving to, and my local CeX had a new in box one in stock.

Really awesome, I’m not into any smart home stuff so the limited use of Siri is an advantage for me, and it sounds really good. Also the kids yelling for tracks is fun, even if I never wanted to hear George Ezra, let alone have it interrupt every album I try to listen to...

Since setting it up, I hear a random ‘pop’ come from it though. Only when idle, don’t hear it when music is playing or anything. Just at random intervals:

Luckily checked it was in warranty with Apple still (runs out in less than a month) and opened a case with support, but they had no real useful info and will get back to me next week on it. Anyone else run into this? Have tried resetting, updating, moving rooms... I read that turning voice activated Siri off helps as it might be the mics but I ain’t doing that, it’s a reason we use the damn thing.
  • Oh also how nice are those bloody iMacs Jesus Christ that yellow one.
  • I have a couple of HomePods (and four minis), none of them do that. You could try replacing it, although I reckon it’s something else going interfering with it somewhere. Almost sounds like something disconnecting.
  • Yer Homepod likely has a hardware fault by the sound of it. Probably DC offset going to the speaker when it goes into sleep/rest mode. You're going to want a replacement before the warranty runs out.
  • Yeah get that replaced toot sweet, electrical faults = bad news
  • Thanks guys! 
    JMW wrote:
    I have a couple of HomePods (and four minis), none of them do that. You could try replacing it, although I reckon it’s something else going interfering with it somewhere. Almost sounds like something disconnecting.

I thought the fact it was next to my amp/speaker for my record deck was initially the problem, so that video is after I moved it to my desk upstairs, nothing up there so guess that ruled that out.

Am going to try and get them to replace it, otherwise can always take back to CeX as it has a 24 month warranty. It worried me that she is calling me back again next week rather than straight up replacing, and she mentioned 'it could be this is just expected behaviour...'

I mean I can't leave it on at night as it's loud enough to hear from upstairs!
  • Yeah, replace. At the very least that’d rule it out.
  • Overnight, I have upgraded the OS on my iMac to BIG SUR.
    Miraculously, my files appear to be intact.
    There may however be questions...
  • Y’know, I haven’t had any drama with upgrades in years. They just work. It’s easy to forget how much terror an OS upgrade used to instil.
  • I'm pacing like an expectant father attempting a home delivery with no instructions. Hate doing this stuff.
  • It's the "helpful" messages that piss me off the most.
    Upgrading your Mail database... This may take a few minutes.
    really should read...
    Upgrading your Mail database... This may take until the end of time.
  • I had to let our IT contractors take remote control of my Mac for a bit yesterday. We’ve finally given up on hosting our own email servers and moved over to Microsoft/Office 365, so they needed to set up my new email details. The guy on the phone with me couldn’t believe how fast my Mac was and asked if it was one of the new ones. Nope, it’s a three-year old bog standard MacBook. I just don’t let it get filled up with shite.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!