Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope. Which is weird as the Apple TV supports it, which I assume means if you use your HomePod as a speaker for the Apple TV is should work? maybe?
  • That’s the weirdest workaround…But maybe??

Always thinking I should invest in a Apple tv, but can’t honestly think why, I have apps on the TV and a ps5, and can’t imagine using a HomePod as a sound bar. But new gadgets etc.

To be fair working in IT usually spoils me in new gadget syndrome. I currently have 3x 2020 13” mbp, a new 16” mbp, a massive iPad Pro, 2 smaller iPad Pros with pencils… none of it is the M1 tbf, not tried that yet.

I know none of it is mine or anything but it takes the shine off when I finally do get something!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s a software update coming for the HomePods which will let them play lossless.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/22/22448933/apple-music-lossless-homepod-mini-support-confirmed
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brilliant, cheers Yoss. 

The Apple TV is a great box, if you have Apple Arcade you can load games up to it and play games using an Xbox or PS controller etc. If you buy Apple movies you get all the extras which you don't get on the TV app for some reason. 

M1 is the real deal, definitely the future for computers.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There’s a software update coming for the HomePods which will let them play lossless.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/22/22448933/apple-music-lossless-homepod-mini-support-confirmed

Woooo! That’d be fantastic and make my dumb purchase of the HomePod seem not so stupid.

(I do absolutely love it though)
  • When they add the capability, post in here if you can tell the difference
  • Good point, probably not, especially with my music. I’m gonna guess ‘mannequin pussy’ sounds pretty much the same either way!

It’s come a long way from when iPods first came out, I could definitely tell the difference then. I think there was a few smashing pumpkin albums I put on my iPod that were actually unlistenable and I put them on as .aiff files instead? I think that was the alternative format…
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Earlier MP3s used different encoding and they did affect the sound more.

But yeah, I likely won’t be able to tell the difference between AAC and lossless unless I’m doing a direct comparison, and even then there’s a good chance I won’t, but that’s not really the point for me. Storage is so damn cheap that even if there is only a small chance that I’ll get a tiny bit of extra pleasure from my music, it’s worth it.
  • That’s the weirdest workaround…But maybe?? Always thinking I should invest in a Apple tv, but can’t honestly think why, I have apps on the TV and a ps5...

One thing is that the Apple TV 4K supports Dolby Vision content. The PS5 does not. I know that some of my TV apps don't either.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Earlier MP3s used different encoding and they did affect the sound more.

But yeah, I likely won’t be able to tell the difference between AAC and lossless unless I’m doing a direct comparison, and even then there’s a good chance I won’t, but that’s not really the point for me. Storage is so damn cheap that even if there is only a small chance that I’ll get a tiny bit of extra pleasure from my music, it’s worth it.

Not sure if this is a sound quality but there's some songs on Spotify that sound different to the cd version, to the point that it kinda throws me. I don't think it's something remastered as such but maybe the mix gets messed about a bit. Haven't noticed it in a while but stands out on mid 90s stuff more (or maybe I just notice it more as so much of my cd collection is from that era.)
    SFV - reddave360
  • drumbeg wrote:
    That’s the weirdest workaround…But maybe?? Always thinking I should invest in a Apple tv, but can’t honestly think why, I have apps on the TV and a ps5...

One thing is that the Apple TV 4K supports Dolby Vision content. The PS5 does not. I know that some of my TV apps don't either.

That’s a good point. Luckily the TV apps support it, and the only stuff I watch on the PS5 really is Disney+ and sky go. It would be nice to use the Apple TV rather than the ps5 though in general, I dont like the kids messing about with the ps5 just to watch muppet babies…
  • Yeah. The power consumption of the Apple TV will be lower too.

The main reason we still use the Apple TV now is that our TV does not have the Apple TV app and the PS5 version isn't as good (No DV). We've been watching a few Apple TV+ shows recently. But, there's no way I would have bought the Apple TV just for that reason. We already had it before the Apple TV app rolled out to other platforms.

Being able to switch the TV off with your watch from another room is good though!
  • You can do that with any TV if your aim is good enough.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let’s see what’s new. WWDC

Completely underwhelmed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Apple Lossless and spatial audio are up. On iOS at least.
  • Saw the new M1 iMac in the wild today for the first time. Not a fan of the external design. I find the screen, glass, border and back colours made it look a bit cheap and made of multi components versus the unibody approach Apple usually goes for. A bit meh when viewed for real.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yeah, it's...alright...I suppose, but it just doesn't look like an Apple product to my eyes.
    I suspect Jobs would have thrown it in the bin at the design stage.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like how they have harked back to the old iMac with the colours, they have been too serious with the silver and space grey for too long. I think families with young kids will like the design and colour choice.
  • I think it looks fantastic and have an order in for the yellow one so erm, yeah!
  • I think for me it’s the slight difference in colour between the coloured back and sides of the monitor, plus the coloured front bottom glass piece (which all have same colour more or less but seemingly different materials so slightly different in colour in reality?), plus the off white border around the screen. I saw the dark blue one in the flesh and just thought it looked a bit cheap. Only looked at it for a few seconds mind. On the intranet I thought they looked decent. I think it’s the first Apple product for ages that I prefer the old design versus new one. It’s actually only this plus the old black TV remote (with the godawful scroll pad top half, so glad they changed that with the new one) that I have ever thought that.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Apple Lossless and spatial audio are up. On iOS at least.

This was all announced the week after I sold my iPhone Mini haha.  Been trying it on my iPad and I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing.  Based on this started to look at the iPod Touch.  I little reading around and I'm ABSOLUTELY AMAZED to discover:
    iMore wrote:
    Apple Music lossless audio is supported on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV on iOS 14.6, iPadOS 14.6, macOS 11.4, or tvOS 14.6. However, you can't listen to lossless audio without a wired headphone. So, no Apple wireless headphones will work, including the AirPods Max, even if using them wired.

So... the only remaining IPOD - you know, the device that has a headphone jack and was SPECIFICALLY FOR MUSIC, is the one device that Apple won't support for Lossless / Spatial Audio?  WHAT THE FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK FUCK?

x
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Unsee the light: “Apple Music lossless audio is supported on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV on iOS 14.6, iPadOS 14.6, macOS 11.4, or tvOS 14.6. However, you can't listen to lossless audio without a wired headphone. So, no Apple wireless headphones will work, including the AirPods Max, even if using them wired.”

Yeah my newly acquired AirPod Pros don’t do lossless either, got to be wired.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The noise canceling is spiffy though.
    Things can only get better.
  • I'm perfectly happy with wired.  I'm just amazed the one device that Apple sell specifically for music doesn't support it!
  • I’m sure we’ll see Apple do an equivalent of Sony’s LDAC in the next round of audio hardware, got to keep people upgrading.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Got one of those air tags for my birthday today witb a keyring and luggage loop too. Lovely bit of kit
    PSN - minkymu
  • I think it looks fantastic and have an order in for the yellow one so erm, yeah!

That’s the one I would get also, jealous!

I would absolutely love one of those new iMacs, they look completely up my alley, I will agree that it would have been nice if it was the same shade of yellow all around but I got used to that on my yellow iPhone 11.

I also think my favourite iPhone was the 5C, I like colours and plastic.
  • Happy birthday Minky and pleased to see you're still around dude.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Got one of those air tags for my birthday today witb a keyring and luggage loop too. Lovely bit of kit

They do look cool, am interested in picking one up and attaching to my keys. Does it do any sound stuff like on ‘find my…’ devices or just location?

Oh sorry and happy birthday!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!