The Apple Thread
  • How kind of them to include a power lead with the Mac Studio. Only leaves a keyboard and mouse to buy for another £300.
  • If you max out the specs on the Mac Studio it comes in at £7999. Throw in the matching top spec of the monitor and you’re in for £10,000.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • AHAHAHAHA
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    If you max out the specs on the Mac Studio it comes in at £7999. Throw in the matching top spec of the monitor and you’re in for £10,000.

What's the MPG on that?
  • g.man wrote:
    If you max out the specs on the Mac Studio it comes in at £7999. Throw in the matching top spec of the monitor and you’re in for £10,000.

Can it run Crysis??
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah but if you’re doing heavy GPU workload and need tonnes of VRAM, a 128GB GPU is a significant draw - and price wise it stacks up pretty well, as an A100 (£8k+) only has 40GB and Quadro A6000 (£4K+) has 48GB.
    Pro grade stuff though, not for the random punters.
  • It’s certainly impressive numbers and I was actually expecting the price to be a lot more. I’m not wanting Apple desktop but I’d personally wait for the next wave of iMac announcements. There’s probably a super duper M1 Ultra Max iMac Pro in the works.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was just hoping for a Mac Mini Pro tbh. £1000 would have traded mine in and would’ve done me good for a good few years.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A new Mini would have piqued my interest.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Fuck. I looked at the Studio. I dig it. Send help.

And a new iPhone SE? Well, same thing again with a new chip. Nice. Hopefully this means I'll be able to buy cases, should the need arise, for my SE 2nd gen for a while.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Holy shit, is that a Kensington lock on the bottom? Next you'll be telling me you can open the Studio and upgrade the internals.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t get carried away mate!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Glued shut again? FFS.
  • So I’m about half way to a studio, mouse, keyboard and screen so can someone lend me say £1,498 please?  My iMac’s slow crawl to a creaking death has sped up and I really need one for my work.  Would be fine normally but I can’t stop spending all my cash on pic n mix.
  • Funny how Apple have finally delivered a viable small-scale powerhouse - the Mac Mini Pro we all wanted - just after everybody in the creative industries have shifted to MacBooks once and for all because of remote and hybrid working.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Added one to my basket last night, started the trade in then came to my senses. Not needed now for what I do.
  • poprock wrote:
    Funny how Apple have finally delivered a viable small-scale powerhouse - the Mac Mini Pro we all wanted - just after everybody in the creative industries have shifted to MacBooks once and for all because of remote and hybrid working.

Pretty much. When I upgrade it will be a new MacBook, which I plug into a 4K display and get dual screen. Losing the additional screen would be shite and yeah, sometimes I like to go into an office.
  • I would have given my left kidney (or other major-ish organ) for a Mac like this a few years ago. Now I just want a MacBook that doesn’t leave imprints of its keyboard on the screen when carrying it about.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've taken to my Mac Mini. I find it a better way to work at home and just use my laptop now for hotdesking at work. I prefer the fixed nature of having a dedicated workspace at home.

As all the software we use is cloud based it means everything just between the two machines nicely.

As for keyboard Pop, I used to have a nice soft dust protector on my old MacBook that used to stop that, was made from a soft felt material. Think it may have been made by Crumpler.
  • My ADHD impulse control let me down and I ordered an iPhone 13 mini I can't afford and don't need.

Before I try to return it, would anyone like it? 128gb red version, still sealed in the box.

£520?

x
  • My new Macbook arrived this week and holy shit - the difference from my 2018 model is quite remarkable in terms of editing preview/rendering times. I've not put it through its paces on motion work yet, but I do have a project early next week which should see to that. 

Physically it feels like a throwback - its exactly the same size/thickness as my 2010 Macbook (yes I dug it out to compare lmao). Battery life is decent although this generally degrades over time but first impression is it will last a lot longer doing what i do without a charge. Also theres notably less heat kicking out from it in general use. 

Pretty impressed. Looking for a decent display next - anyone got any decent 4k recommendations? Only real requirements are usb-c and as good as you can get colour wise.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t know about colour accuracy but love this for flexibility and the arm and charges a MacBook Pro. Not that I need it. Had it about a year so could have been superseded.

LG UltraFine Monitor 32UN88A - 31.5 Inch, 4K Ergo IPS Monitor, 60 Hz, 5 ms, 3840 X 2160 px, USB Type-C Connectivity, DCI-P3 95% https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088LVN3TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_2BS0DZWPD6FKTVYETTDB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • I have a 4k LG monitor plugged into my MBP. 

https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-27UL850

I'm not sure if the colour accuracy would be up to scratch for a designer, but I'd probably recommend it generally. Love the downstream USB-C charging. So I don't have to plug a separate power supply into the Mac, just one cable from the monitor for both output from the laptop and power from monitor->laptop, plus my USB peripherals go into the monitor too. It acts a bit like a dock.
  • Tell you what, my Mac Mini looks incredible through my Samsung Frame telly. I realise that’s not helpful, but it does.
  • poprock wrote:
    I would have given my left kidney (or other major-ish organ) for a Mac like this a few years ago. Now I just want a MacBook that doesn’t leave imprints of its keyboard on the screen when carrying it about.

I used to have a sheet of paper in my work MacBook when I closed it just for this reason… it really fucking bugs me too.

I have a Lenovo x1 nano now and hopefully won’t see this issue, but don’t trust ‘ultra thin’ designs anymore!
  • Found a few hundred quid I’d forgotten about yesterday so the studio dream is a little closer.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you really want to tempt yourself Very are doing buy now pay in 12 months. Delivery 18th March. Whack the money into a stocks and shares ISA make some interest and get a discount (maybe).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Found a few hundred quid I’d forgotten about yesterday so the studio dream is a little closer.

Most of us just find a quid in our jacket pocket.
  • I found £50 in my wallet. Haven’t used cash since the pandemic hit, so I’d completely forgotten it was in there.
  • iPhone 13 Mini arrives tomorrow, despite my best efforts to cancel it.  I'm assuming no interest from anyone, but thought I'd give it one last heads-up before I issue the return process for a refund.

Ta

x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!