The Apple Thread
  • b0r1s wrote:
    If you really want to tempt yourself Very are doing buy now pay in 12 months. Delivery 18th March. Whack the money into a stocks and shares ISA make some interest and get a discount (maybe).

There’s no displays now until May so that’s me waiting anyway. Did look into the bnpl thing though and, had there been displays available, I’d have probably gone for it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Looks like the Studio is selling well. Now not available until April on Apple and not available at all on John Lewis and Very (notably both offering interest free credit).
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Looks like the Studio is selling well. Now not available until April on Apple and not available at all on John Lewis and Very (notably both offering interest free credit).

Is this general new tech though? I was half tempted to get the Samsung S8+ but both itself and keyboard are a bit scarce unless its the bigger version.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Possibly, I just didn’t expect it to sell that well. Was very tempted myself but gonna wait for a Mac Mini Pro (hopefully).
  • Just picked up a studio - just the base one not the gazillion pound one - and now I’m looking for the display. They don’t seem to exist rn.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have you checked KRCS? They had some in stock a few days ago. Absolutely wasn’t looking.
  • Hang on! The reviews aren’t amazing for it. I don’t need the camera, so could I get away with any old computer monitor or perhaps even the smallest of oled?
  • Literally just watched this...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just seen that in my feed. I’ve got a perfectly good LG for less than half the price.
  • Is that the video for the Lg monitor which is two stacked (vertically) 16x9 monitors?

I really like the idea of that.
  • So what’s my best alternative then do you reckon? Was gonna drop £1500 so it’s not like I’m on a tight budget.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I went for this LG. It's probably not the best for colour accuracy (95% DCI-P3) but it's great for a clean desk setup and would go nicely with the studio. Got mine paired to my Mac mini. 

When I was looking I think this BenQ was coming out tops a lot on overall PQ.

But I went for the fancy stand and nice cable management :-) 

There have probably been better sets released since then, maybe.
  • So I think I screwed up.  Again.  Advice please? :)

UK Gov Website on rules for refunds when goods bought online:

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you

I ordered my iPhone Mini on the night of the 9th. I attempted to cancel early on the 10th, before it was dispatched, but it was delivered regardless on the 11th. It's now been sat in a drawer at work and I won't be in the office until next Wednesday.

So I guess tomorrow marks 14 days since delivery. I'm hoping I can still return it and get a refund, even though I won't be able to post it for another 6 days? is that right?

x
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I expect it’ll be fine if you request the refund today.
  • I've just been doing some calculations and.... Christ, eBay are onto an absolute winner aren't they?!  12.8% of any sale, so even if I sold this for the price I bought it at, I'd still end up £75 in the hole.

I need to get working on my own auction site.  Easy money!

x
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Try Shpock get someone to collect. No fees.
  • Or just do what your own research has shown you you can do, and what Yoss said you can do: just tell them you want to return the goods. you then get ANOTHER 14 days. So tell them already! in an email! make sure you get acknowledgement, if you bought from Apple there's a special returns process just click the button man
  • You are absolutely right.  I just needed someone to kick me, thanks.  Return label printed and in the bag ready for the next trip to work.

(Thanks again)

x
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Thought this might be of interest. Apparently back in the early 90s, there was an internal Apple project to get System 7 running on x86 architecture called Project Star Trek. This predates Apple's switch to Intel silicon by 13 years. If you're wondering about the name, it's because they were taking an Apple OS "where it had never gone before".
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • You are absolutely right.  I just needed someone to kick me, thanks.  Return label printed and in the bag ready for the next trip to work.

(Thanks again)

x

Well well fucking hell Jesus christ almighty.

Today was the day to get to the office and get this posted back.

And today was also the day the missus tested positive for covid.

FFFFFFFFFFFFMFL.

x
  • You have time I think. You have basically started the returns process, which is the only thing you have to do within 14 days of receipt (receipt of goods not purchase, btw). Now you have a time window to send the goods back from that start point. Usually it’s 14 days, I’m not sure there’s a legal maximum
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    And today was also the day the missus tested positive for covid.

Not wanting to sound flippant, but if you're going to catch it, now's the time. It's basically a really shitty cold now. Silver lining?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I set up Face ID with mask. Seems like it just turns into Glasses ID.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just inherited a pair of AirPod Pros. They’re pretty damn good.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just inherited a pair of AirPod Pros. They’re pretty damn good.

They are bloody brilliant.
    Most extravagant, yet best purchase I’ve made in a long time.
    The convenience is subtle but I’d never go back to cheapo ones now.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Despite being bought in a midnight-brained ADHD impulse and all the upset I put myself through because of that, this iPhone 13 Mini is a bloody good phone! The camera in particular is so impressive.

I’ll whisper it, but, I’m almost glad I bought it.

x
  • I’m very tempted to get an 13 mini now I’m out of contract on my 11 pro. Last of the minis apparently , which is a real shame, the size and format seems great.
  • The iPod is no more.

BBC: Apple to discontinue the iPod after 21 years.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61401626

x
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The iPod died when the classic was discontinued, IMO. The iPod Touch always felt like a different product category, less of a music player, and more of an iPhone for people who didn’t want a contract.
  • still sad to see the end of a cool brand.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!