Comfort Media
  • I watched Midnight Run again at the weekend in a moment of comfort need. Worked a treat.
  • For general comfort viewing, I turn to gentle comedies I’m familiar with. I started rewatching Friends earlier this month and, because I was under the weather for so long, I’ve watched all of it. Before that I worked my way through all of The Big Bang Theory again, before that it was all of The IT Crowd again, at one point when I was struggling with my depression a couple of years ago it was How I Met Your Mother (cue the jokes about that surely making it worse lol). I’ve been through The Thick of It countless times (less gentle, but still an easy watch) as well as Peep Show, Black Books, Spaced, pretty much anything.

In terms of films, I’ll put on a gentle rom-com if I’m looking to go to sleep with something on. Otherwise, if I’m just looking for something familiar, I’ll turn to the likes of Black Hawk Down, The Patriot, or Gladiator. I would quite happily watch any film with Tom Cruise at any time.

Music stuff depends on the situation. Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells helps me get to sleep. If I’m in a slightly wallowing mood (but not at risk of dropping into a fit of depression, in which case it’s too risky) then blink-182’s I Miss You is one of my most played songs. Led Zeppelin’s Immigrant Song never fails to pick me up. Sigur Rós’s Hoppípolla and Blazin’ Fiddles Diplodocus rarely fail to make me cry (but in a good way).

If I’m putting on music in the background while I work, can’t go for anything where the lyrics are likely to distract me. I can’t think of examples, I tend to just know what’s going to fit at the time, I don’t think I have any staples.

Yes, I know I have shit tastes. You like what you like.
  • Since people are talking about the music they put on to concentrate on work: I almost always use Psytrance because it's well the best for it or something.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Um...

Favourite Disney films
    Terrace House
    Super Sentai
    PG Wodehouse
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • nick_md wrote:
    Sorry moot

It's fine, I'll inevitably talk about it somewhere else next time it's on telly anyway.  WE'LL BOTH HAVE THE LAMB.

200w.gif
  • Columbo and Radio 4. Even when R4 is boring it's calming.
  • If you’re having flu-fuelled fever dreams, there is nothing more calming than indoor bowling commentary. Snooker commentary will do if it’s not bowling season.
  • I rewatched all of IT Crowd and all of Barley recently. Both great, but god Barley finishes on a downer eh?

My current go to comfort telly is Fools and Horses, don't know why but the titles and credits alone make me think everything's alright. It's also good fun pointing out the quasi racist jokes and going, 'ah, simpler times'.
  • 80's action films

The Van Dammier the better
  • Andy wrote:
    For general comfort viewing, I turn to gentle comedies I’m familiar with. I started rewatching Friends earlier this month and, because I was under the weather for so long, I’ve watched all of it.

Same. It’s an easy go to comfort blanket of a show for me. That and Frasier.

Personally I think I agree with your tastes on nearly all of that
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Except HIMYM, right?
  • Nope. I watched that all the way through with my wife and really enjoyed it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    West Wing
    80's Tinker Tailor and Smiley's People
    Father Ted
    QI

Smooth jazz
    Light classical & more modern instrumental as well
    Pink Floyd's Wish you were here

Simpler older, arcade games
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Football Manager
    Alan Partridge
    The Golf Club
    One of about ten Jungle mixes from the mid 90s
    Tremors
  • I don't to watch or listen to much specific stuff if it's just to random comfort watch or listen. 

This gets whacked on when I wanna just fade away for 90 minutes, it's the superbum of chilling out mixes that I found so far on Youtube. Even better than jazzy piano cafe in the rain mix and all that malarky (which is still okay for a listen). 

Comfort watching is random, I think like a few people here I would have definitely said Always Sunny. Also Futurama was great for a comfort watch. These days though I just watch familiar old channels on Youtube that I like or go look on Twitch see if someone I like is streaming and I'll just watch that for a bit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oh and these

And a ton of Americans react to grime videos.
  • Any Pavement/Stephen Malkmus/Jicks album, any post Bends Radiohead album, and NIN album, they all basically work as comfort stuff for me. Zero brainpower listens that I never get bored of.
  • Oh and these And a ton of Americans react to grime videos.

SHIT BUSTED LEL
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Since people are talking about the music they put on to concentrate on work: I almost always use Psytrance because it's well the best for it or something.

Used to go to sleep with that on at Uni.

Music wise these days I always put on some old skool Happy Hardcore, just naturally relaxes me whatever mood I'm in, takes me back to simpler times.

Not the stompy 4 beat later stuff though, that can go suck eggs.

Got a great Hospital Records cd thats a mix of soul and D&B too which is great for the background to anything. Very much my important project CD.
  • 1950's American chart music.  Something like the American Graffiti soundtrack will do.  Or the film itself, which is pretty much a celluloid jukebox anyway.  I think there's one scene without music playing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
      SHIT BUSTED LEL

Holy grime is fucking amazing lad
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Schindler's List
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Audible books that I haven't finished. Currently listening to Stephen King the stand. It's 40hrs long. Helps when cooking, cleaning, washing up doing chores around the house etc.
  • Endless lists of music tech gear demos on Yertube.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A simple pleasure of mine is drifting off to sleep to the shipping forecast on Radio 4.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Roujin wrote:
      SHIT BUSTED LEL
    Holy grime is fucking amazing lad

No I meant, shit, I've been busted. Obvs holy grime is the sickness, I posted it in the track of the year thred fam!

It's tricky though, because I'm torn between Holy Grime, 6 in the Morning and also his verse on Kano's 3 Wheel Ups for favourite recent Wiley thing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah fair game lad, thought you were doing ya stream ting ;)  6 in the Morning is Wiley at his absolute best, the beat, the flow. Man has always donned the beats. Eski for life.

I've spent most the night with fire in the booth. I still stand by Devlin being the GOAT pretty much worldwide. The speed he drops those bars is insane, and each one is creative as fuck. When he goes off on Morgue on part 1, jaysus.

Relevant? What's relevant? Shottin' heroin?
    Murder? Lies? Cash over anything?
    Kids don't be silly with your life, be intelligent
    And acquire what you need and more
    Television is a weapon and they're winning a war

Akala though <3
  • The Civilization III soundtrack.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Simpsons in the '90s.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!