Comfort Media
  • Comfort gaming is Dark Souls, Invisible Inc, Astro Boy. Personas as well - great for getting absorbed in for a few hours.

TV is Father Ted, although I've watched them too many times now.

As for music, I was struggling to sleep in hospital last week and only had my Vita with me, so decided to listen to some stuff through Youtube. My first thought to try and relax was A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, which didn't quite do the job, so I followed it with Morcheeba's Big Calm. Managed to drift off to that in the end.
  • Father Ted here too, IT Crowd, Toast, Partridge... all watchable at any time and in any sequence.  Blues Brothers always used to be my goto comfort film, the famous faces, the tunes, the lines, so repeatable.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I'm so with you on Blues Brothers I just bought it again on digital because the mention of it reminded me how long it is since I've seen it and all my DVDs are in a box behind the TV.
  • Stone cold classic.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Saw Calloway live back in the day. Full white tux. Minnie the Moocher. Amazing scenes.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bloody hell G. That must have been quite the thing.
  • Yeah. What was it like the day they invented fire, G? That must have been cool! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Adding psytrance to the must listen pile.

Good call on Fool & Horses. Though mostly the episodes before the wives came into it. A Touch of Frost, Midomser Murders,Poirot,Red Dwarf, Mr Bean, Keeping up Appearances all solid choices too.
    A big one for me is the Masters golf every year. My dad loved golf and religiously watched it every year. I loved it because Augusta usually looked amazing and I love the shots just looking at a bridge or something while the announcers read the crazy names of the golfers on the leaderboard. Now it reminds me of dad and its a very relaxing, watch.

80s action movies too are great. Commando or Kickboxer being prime examples.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Andy wrote:
    If you’re having flu-fuelled fever dreams, there is nothing more calming than indoor bowling commentary. Snooker commentary will do if it’s not bowling season.

Oh yaaas. Worked splits many years ago and the routine was to get up for 5am, get back home for 2pm, nap to snooker and then back in for 5pm until late. Oddly, I have very fond memories of that period.

SFV - reddave360
  • Good call on Fool & Horses. Though mostly the episodes before the wives came into it.

Aye I'm watching the Grandad eps atm, happy to watch Uncle Albert too ofc but will stop before it gets shite. Delboy reminds me of my dad too, mainly because David Jason as Frost is a pretty darn close likeness and has similar mannerisms, so even seeing DJ as Delboy reminds me of him. Kinda bittersweet as me da' ain't been with us for 4 years now, but it definitely raises a smile.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    What a great thread!

Comfort games: Civ 3, Final Fantasy X, Cid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, Dragon Quest IX

Comfort films/TV: Friends, Spirited Away, Star Trek: The Next Generation, The X Files, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia, Red Dwarf, Welcome to the NHK.

Comfort music: Hammock, Slow Meadow, Lowercase Noises, Aglaia.
    Get schwifty.
  • TV: Seinfeld, Arrested Development, One Foot In the Grave, Blackadder, ‘classic’ era Simpsons, any Attenborough, Ever Decreasing Circles, Father Ted, Porridge, Louis Theroux’s Weird Weekend’s, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy & Smiley’s People, Sopranos, The World at War, Dad’s Army, Bottom, Larry Sanders, the Day Today, old (80’s) episodes of Grange Hill, Band of Brothers, Tom & Jerry (the ‘proper’ Tex Avery ones)...

I would have said Only Fools & Horses but I’ve seen them all so many times I know them off by heart and I really need to wait for dementia to set in before I can fully enjoy them again.

Games: Ridge Racer (any), Everybody’s Golf, Lumines, Lemmings, Jumping Flash, Super Mario Kart, Virtua Tennis, Advance Wars, Peggle, Contra III, R-Type, Okami, War Thunder, random sight-seeing and mayhem in GTA, Wipeout

Audio: I, Partridge, Adam & Joe podcasts, Voices of the First World War, Chart Music Podcast, old Hancock radio shows, Richard Pryor stand up’s, Derek & Clive, Test Match Special

Films: Groundhog Day, Back to the Future, Brazil, Rushmore, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Pom Poko, Princess Monoke, Akira, Jaws, Diner, American Graffiti, Dazed & Confused, The Big Lebowski, Thin Red Line, Badlands, Aliens, Wayne’s World, the Third Man, Out of the Past, Jurassic Park, Moon, Godfather 1&2, Touch of Evil, the Good, the Bad & the Ugly, Shallow Grave, Dog Soldiers, the Evil Dead, Poltergeist

Music: all that vaporwave stuff is nice background music, I’m not sure it’s even good as music but you can drift off to it, Nick Drake, Boards of Canada, Mogwai, Broadcast, Yo La Tengo, Young Marble Giants, Weezer (90’s), ‘World of Echo’ by Arthur Russell ... I tend to try and pay attention to what I’m listening to even if I’ve heard it a million times before so I’m not that passive of a listener - although I rarely get up and boogie, unless I’m drunk, then I’ll dance to any old shit (sadly)...

Books: Catcher in the Rye (not read it for years but I like to see it on the bookshelf), 1984, Rip It Up and Start Again by Simon Reynolds, Head On by Julian Cope, Revolution in the Head, the Complete Peter Cook, Hollywood Babylon, Catch-22, Brighton Rock, the complete Raymond Chandler, the Ghost Stories of MR James, IT, a book my grandfather owned called ‘Aircraft of WWII’, Chickenhawk (about a helicopter pilot in Vietnam), Roger Mellie’s Ad Break, Into That Darkness by Gitta Sereny, the Quiet American, the Politics of Heroin, Capitalist Realism

EDIT: now that I think about those it last few books aren't particularly comforting (plus they're me trying to look cool), also I missed off my old issues of Super Play which are far more comforting - and the few 'complete Peanuts' books I own
  • The size of that list is making me uncomfortable.
  • Comfort is a large part of my life (I wish it wasn’t sometimes), also I have loads of shit and hang on to stuff I should have got rid of...
  • There's a lot to like. Never get rid of The Third Man.
  • I dunno. I don’t tend to watch/play things more than once these days. Spelunky certainly was for a long time but I’ve weaned myself off that. 

I also find it difficult to pick the right music to fit my mood. Radiohead is usually a safe go-to.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    If you’re having flu-fuelled fever dreams, there is nothing more calming than indoor bowling commentary. Snooker commentary will do if it’s not bowling season.
    Watched a lot of snooker with my dad in his last weeks, have some good memories of that. It of course also means that I can't think of snooker now without wanting to cry. I'm pretty sure he watched it for the calming effect more than actually being invested in the sport.

I don't really have any comfort entertainment I think. I do feel like I'm missing it now though.
    I like watching Splatoon twitch (can enjoy the game without getting that salty feeling when losing) and weightlifting (mainly via Instagram stories). I can't do that right now and miss it, so just hearing the sounds and seeing the focus makes me realize what my goal is, and makes it easier to accept where I am now.
  • Sorry for you loss Nina.

Shame about the lifting. No gyms nearby or is it a health thing?

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It's been almost 10 years now, but they're good memories. I can see why snooker is comforting.

And I'm going to a gym here, but there's no real place for olympic lifting, plus the equipment is a bit shit. I'm keeping myself busy getting my body in the best shape for whenever I can afford a better gym again, and with a bit of luck, a trainer.
  • Hats off to Larry, that's one excellent film list.  I've never seen Rushmore or Pom Poko, but I'll rectify that soon of the strength of the rest.  Would put The Last Picture Show, The Princess Bride, Lonesome Dove, The Neverending Story and The Straight Story on mine - the first four of those could go in with the books too - along with a smattering of Mike Leigh (especially Life is Sweet).  Watership Down is my ultimate comfort novel.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Neverending Story

Read the book.  It’s great.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    D’oh!  It good though, isn’t it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Didn’t do comfort novs.  Has to be The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with a side order of Weaveworld by Clive Barker.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    D’oh!  It good though, isn’t it.

So good.  You haven't seen The Nothing until you've read about it.  I first read it in primary school, then again a few years back.  A very special novel.  Speaking of the feels, I recently bought myself Tom's Midnight Garden to reread.   

If you haven't given it a go, William Goldman's The Princess Bride is ridiculously good.  I had no idea, only read it a couple of years ago.  Straight in with the all-timers.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m actually looking for some good books to read at the moment, so The Princess Bride joins The Stars My Destination in my next must-reads after Acceptance.  Thanks!  :)
    Get schwifty.
  • For comfort reading I’m all about Discworld.
  • djchump wrote:
    For comfort reading I’m all about Discworld.

Was just about to post the same thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!