Detroit: Become Human - open the Cage and let the bonkers loose!
  • I've got to ask.  Did Bob recently change the thread title or has it been like this for ages?
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm also quite happy that this sounds good as I'm looking for an interactive-movie game to play with the lady, who's a non-games-person but seems genuinely interested in the medium.

Until Dawn mate

Did that with the ex, seems bad form to go again.

@Moot wagwan?
  • I was on about Until Dawn too.
  • Ah gotcha, forgot they were called that. Solid rec but yeah for reasons started it's a no go.

Was think Life is Strange also.
  • Heh, you forgot their name and the name you gave them.  Good work.
  • Until dawn, Heavy Rain and Wolf among us were probably the best three games I've played with non gamers. Whether she could look past the art style of the latter though might be a question.
  • The thing that worries me about Detroit is how boring Heavy rain was for the first hour. It nearly stopped me playing through it, I'm glad it didn't though as it was one of my favourite games that year but I wouldn't want to play through some of those sleep inducing scenes again.

I've seen clips of Detroit and there seems to be the same set up early on. Overly long segments making food and cleaning up etc trying to set the scene and characters motivations in a very drawn out boring looking way. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.
  • It's to teach people who don't play games how to use a controller, isn't it? You know, in case they decide to buy a PS4 just for this.

I quite enjoyed them in Heavy Rain because it gave me a chance to marvel at the graphics, but they're just as much of a leap this time.
  • I think I put up with them in heavy rain because I knew there was good stuff to come having played Fahrenheit and the HR demo.

I always find Cage games to do some really interesting things or put you in some tricky positions and I'm not one for being nit picky about plots and such, so I tend to just enjoy the games.

I'll pick this up when it's cheap for sho.

• nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    I'm also quite happy that this sounds good as I'm looking for an interactive-movie game to play with the lady, who's a non-games-person but seems genuinely interested in the medium.

Until Dawn mate

Did that with the ex, seems bad form to go again.

@Moot wagwan?

Have you tried Late Shift Nick?

I'm not gonna say it's a masterpiece buts it's an interactive movie in every sense. It starts off quite strong imo.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You could always play Edith Finch which is near enough the pinnacle of modern videogame stories.
  • You could always play Edith Finch which is near enough the pinnacle of modern videogame stories.

Agreed on this. Was my GOTY last year.

I thought Late Shift was utter bollocks unfortunately. Sticking a swish car in scenes doesn’t make up for dreadful acting and nonsensical plotting devices.

For those with concerns about the start, there are some menial actions to take but I thought they actually helped as unspoken exposition; the lives of the characters are glimpses through these banal actions.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    You could always play Edith Finch which is near enough the pinnacle of modern videogame stories.

Agreed on this. Was my GOTY last year.

I thought Late Shift was utter bollocks unfortunately. Sticking a swish car in scenes doesn’t make up for dreadful acting and nonsensical plotting devices.

For those with concerns about the start, there are some menial actions to take but I thought they actually helped as unspoken exposition; the lives of the characters are glimpses through these banal actions.

Ha yeah that did bring a chuckle out of me, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's utter bollocks but ropey plot and at times awful acting I won't disagree with. Not the best rec in fairness but it is for a non gamer.

As for Detroit, I did like your little write up about it. It's nice to hear opinions about cage games from all sides, especially opinions that don't fall into the "I love it, it has no faults" or "it's fucking garbage and not a game" categories.

The weighty decisions and chance of characters perma death perk my interest. I like to play through games like this once and only once so I have my own unique story.

• What is especially nice about this, is every time you save and go back to the main menu. I won’t say any more but it was a breath of fresh air.

Regarding perma death, after any level you could immediately redo the chapter. I didn’t bug for those who are time poor and are frustrated at the denouement of their actions, then it’s a welcome addition that you don’t have to blunder through the rest of the game beating a grudge.

This is not without its faults but it was a great deal better than I’d suspected it would be. Still thinking about the characters and the paths I chose to go down.
  • Just played the demo, that war really fun. Massive improvement over Heavy Rain and the visual quality is absolutely superb. Will certainly be playing it again and am probably going to give Two Souls a shot on the strength of this. Expect I'll pick Detroit up sooner, rather than later.
  • This demo's a really good length to play with a cup of tea and the flowchart realily helps; knowing that you're not wasting your time replaying it. I've redone it twice today.

Reminds me a bit of The Stanley Parable in terms of game structure.
  • That demo is one of the weaker chapters of the game, so expect even better in the main game.
  • Well, I guess I know what I'll be playing if I get bored of the novelties of VR before Spider-Man comes out.
  • AJ wrote:
    Well, I guess I know what I'll be playing if I get bored of the novelties of VR before Spider-Man comes out.

Play ultrawings in vr AJ!
    Forgot how good it is till other day, its so good and so relaxing.
    But totally feels real and heart in mouth if you barrel roll, loop the loop etc.
    So so good!
  • It's on my list, but I'll probably wait until it's in a sale, though; I've plenty to be getting in with for now. Assuming Game are able to supply me with a headset that doesn't have any problems.

I'm literally seething about having to take it back a second time.
  • AJ wrote:
    It's on my list, but I'll probably wait until it's in a sale, though; I've plenty to be getting in with for now. Assuming Game are able to supply me with a headset that doesn't have any problems.

I'm literally seething about having to take it back a second time.

Wich headset?
  • The PSVR one. If it was the headphones, I'd be happy just to use the ear buds for now and have them pick up for replacement.
  • AJ wrote:
    The PSVR one. If it was the headphones, I'd be happy just to use the ear buds for now and have them pick up for replacement.
    Whats wrong with headset pal?
  • Either a dead pixel or bit of something on the screen.
  • AJ wrote:
    Either a dead pixel or bit of something on the screen.

Ffs, good luck pal.
    Should be easy enough to swap i think.
  • The last one was, once they accepted they're was a problem. This is less submitted, so I've no concern about them doing it, I'm just pissed off I have to take time out to run it over to them.
  • Actually, I'm probably more pissed off with the fact I have to put up with it until I do.
  • We'll that post went well. Nothing to see here.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've got to ask.  Did Bob recently change the thread title or has it been like this for ages?

It’s always been like this. Why?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!