Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Had a decent ironclad run on asc 17 earlier but cocked it up by picking runic Pyramid after act 2. Got dead branch early so picked up a few fiend fires and was just burning my hand and seeing what would pop up from it. Forgot i needed to cycle to actually draw the fiend fires and just ended up with a full hand and unable to play.

Still made it to the heart but didn't stand a chance.
  • That's the Heart defeated, first time, Ironclad. Pretty chuffed! Was a bit of a mishmash deck with barricade and double-your-block card as the reliable route, with demon form + strength giving relic when playing multiple attacks. Also had mana up to the eyeballs thanks to two relics so I could easily play the costlier cards pretty regularly. Topped off with two of those when-you-die-heal potions and I just scraped through.

Probably tackle more ascensions now before trying for a Defect Heart run.

Buzzin.
  • Still buzzing, haven't felt this pumped about a game since ttf&f expert I think.
  • nick_md wrote:
    ttf&f expert.

Lolwtf madmanskillz
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Congrats nick! It only gets better.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My first was a strength build too mate, ASC 3. I had 3 Demon Form+ with Snecko and 5 energy and just went for it. Smashed the heart in the end.

Such a good feeling.
  • I love it when people love this game.

• Could go in the rogue thread too, but just gave this a go. It's in EA. Tried the demo, which is generous, and instantly bought the EA for aus$15. 

Heat Death. Looks awesome, has some neat ideas. No idea on depth, but there's plenty going on at first blush.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

• Lol. Nice. I haven't been back to mod land in this for ages. Has anyone done a must have anything? Other than yak of course
  • After all this time I finally managed to almost make that defect thunder strike card work via upgraded bottled seek, which allowed me to draw aggregate for rocketing energy, then tempest to channel a lot of lightning. I also had two of the defect innate block cards for 0 energy (I forget the name) which allowed me to weather most of what turn 1 could throw at me. then had a bunch of draw cards like upgraded fusion and another seek which could usually find me thunder strike by turn 2. It worked well when it worked well, but was never going to have the answers for all the challenges, namely scaling block, leaving me kinda fucked against anything that survived to turn 3 or longer. Lost to the act 2 boss.

• I have a weird mental block with mods. I can't bring myself to even try them.

I get that. But, you know…Yazuka.

High five.
  • Finally giving Yer Ladette, The Silent a go. Basically only played watcher before and neglected the others but last few days I popped back onto StS and wanted to mix it up. Went from Asc 1-4 pretty smoothly and just did an Asc 4 heart run with a Bite build which was a very fun time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Silent went from being my least favourite to best character in the pack.
  • Lovely Asc 5 Silent Heart run done with Snecko. No mirror image or shivs or anything like that. Build completely set up around getting an early Snecko and Bullet time. Was glorious.

Making good progress, similar to the pace I had with Watcher I think.
  • I don’t know how you (guys) do it so easily. I suck big time. But that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying this more than almost every other game in the past decade.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don’t know how you (guys) do it so easily. I suck big time. But that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying this more than almost every other game in the past decade.

100 percent agree. I've only a few heart wins but it's such a wonderful game. Can be played ontently or even just to while away a bus trip. Getting a good deck going still gives me a buzz.

What did edge give this because its a [10] for me.

SFV - reddave360
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don’t know how you (guys) do it so easily. I suck big time. But that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying this more than almost every other game in the past decade.

I’ve watched some vids in the background at work, tbf, which have helped a lot. Not necessarily with exact builds, but more how to approach selection and view the map. I’m at the point now where the most dangerous part is act 1 - if I get through that I’m probably ok.

Without those vids though I’d probably be making even more mistakes that I probably am already. Also…I don’t have kids, which gives me a fair chunk of time to chain runs, which probably helps.
  • It’s always the kids. Whose bloody idea were they?! I blame the wife. All I was after was a couple of nights of fun.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    100 percent agree. I've only a few heart wins but it's such a wonderful game. Can be played ontently or even just to while away a bus trip. Getting a good deck going still gives me a buzz. What did edge give this because its a [10] for me.

10 for me too. Edge gave it an 8. But who cares what they think anymore. I take recs from badgers now.
  • Don't worry elf, be like me, I've put in more hours than noxy, but my win % sucks ass.

Burn those runs on ? Spots baby!

PS everyone give heat death demo a go.
  • Trying some defect now, and to be honest I'm finding it quite tricky. Only on Asc2 but those Act 2 multi-enemy fights have been rough. Finding it hard to be able to generate enough block or AoE damage and i'm deffo having to think very differently about my card picks compared to Silent and Watcher. Got an OK run going now which I will go back to later, so we'll see, but I can say that, so far, defect is the least intuitive character for how I play.
  • I think defect is generally regarded as the hardest character, even if successful runs often prove to be particularly overpowered.
  • this is such a great game because it's so hard to give any general advice without a bunch of caveats. that said:

- you probably want to keep some cash aside for orange pellets, when you see it in the shop
    - biased cognition, seek, and defragment are almost always worth picking up
    - usually hoping to take a sweeping beam and/or ball lightning before the first elite. probably hoping to get these upgraded during act 1 too
    - both cool headed and fission have much more utility when upgraded
    - it's unlikely your deck would benefit from > 1 claw
    - buffer is to defect what bullet time is to silent: it seems good, and probably even is good when starting out, but the more you optimise your choices the less you will end up taking either of these. 

reading that back it's probably common knowledge to all, but again, it's so hard to give advice for this. anyway, with defect the fun really starts when the various parts of you motor for energy generation and card draw start coming together. this is ultimately my favourite aspect for the character, and it's one you can be quite creative with. so... hologram pairs really nicely with turbo or overclock, for example. or maybe a bottled lightning pins aggregate to your opening hand. or maybe you take meteorite/thunderstrike, not because you actually plan to play the card, but rather to feed it to recycle.
  • Naw, that's also super helpful thanks and I wouldn't worry too much about the caveats - I mean, none of that was common knowledge for me and all advice about this game, imo, comes with excepts and but whens and the rest assumed.
  • tidbits:

- creative AI isn't usually worth taking unless you have mummified hand, regularly play heatsinks early, or plan to feed it/its output to recycle
    - echo form will make a powerful deck stronger, but it will also make an average deck weaker. therefore it's likely a better choice at end of act 2 than act 1.
    - hello world is possibly the worst card in the game, so don't ever take it. I think it's purpose it actually just a soft nerf to the consistency of creative AI. nobody wants the random element in this to be OP.
  • Yeah, seen Hello World come up a few times and not been tempted at all. Wonder whether i'd take it if I was really struggling for card draw, but probably not even then. Hello World + Runic Pyramid seems like it would be actually cursed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!