Witness The Fitness
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Back under a lockdown here in Melbourne, so karate has been back to zoom training sessions.

I don't get as much out of those, unsurprisingly, but we have been doing some work on the combinations which are a signature of our style. There are 40 in all, separated into 10 sections of 4 each. I am starting to feel much more confident with the first half of them now.

Grading coming up in a couple of weeks, so that could be interesting if this lockdown doesn't piss off sharpish
  • Good man. I've been relying on weekly zoom sessions with the circle of instructors I run in.
    Focus on the things you can do at home such as footwork, structure, solo forms, handspeed etc. Maintain speed, accuracy and structure. These are things that when you take back to the dojo will improve your performance no end.

My style of martial arts relies on using a body, nearly all my sparring starts from clinch position or sudden attack at close range so I can't train this at home effectively, I've instead been working on footwork, structure for power generation whilst hitting the heavy bag, groundwork drills using a grappling dummy and solo forms allowing me to improve fluidity or movement
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Yeah I have really been trying to work on getting my stances really good. We did a drill the other day around transitioning from each of our 4 main stances into the others - going from horse stance to sanchin dachi still breaks my brain a bit!
  • Heh, it'll take some getting used to, learn your stances but remember the end goal.
    There ARE NO STANCES.
    Stances are transitionary, not static. You should never BE in a stance, you should move THROUGH a stance.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I use Sanchin Dachi as a method of power generation but its very fluid. In a standard fight you will use EVERY stance and also NO STANCE
  • I've just pulled my hamstring while sitting in a chair doing nothing.

x
  • I've just pulled my hamstring while sitting in a chair doing nothing. x
    Haha, yeah...I felt an injury coming along just reading wookie's posts...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Do or Do Not, there is no try
  • I use Sanchin Dachi as a method of power generation but its very fluid. In a standard fight you will use EVERY stance and also NO STANCE

The art of fighting without fighting.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I use Sanchin Dachi as a method of power generation but its very fluid. In a standard fight you will use EVERY stance and also NO STANCE

The art of fighting without fighting.
    MrS3CJ1
  • Gaaaaah. Why can't I post images anymore?!
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Sounds legit
  • Hah!  Didn't know there was an actual book called that.  I was merely quoting Bruce Lee from Enter The Dragon.
  • Edit: nope, just adding .jpg at end doesn't work. You need to click the photo on imgur (backgroud goes black) and then the box and arrow icon at the bottom to copy link. Then paste here between img tags.
  • JS90LuG.jpeg
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Hah!  Didn't know there was an actual book called that.  I was merely quoting Bruce Lee from Enter The Dragon.

Its been a part of my extensive martial arts library for years!
  • Pulled a pectoral last night, overdoing weights. No bruising and it feels a bit better today, so I'm assuming it's just a minor tear.

I'm thinking wait until it no longer hurts and then another week of gentle exercise before trying any lifting? Any good badger advice?

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
    Rest and ice it. Give it a few days and then gentle movement exercises, low weight. Next week you should be good to go
  • One thing I've learned is that as I've got older it's do important to allow your body as much time to heal as you can
  • Cheers, Wookie
    I'm on a roll this year as I slipped in the snow and got a nasty groin strain - that took well over a month to heal up.

As long as I know it's going to heal up, I can do patient.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Your body will heal. Just give it time and space and it will heal
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Absolutely mugged off by my running club today. 10k time trial, sprint to the finish line nicely within my PB. Boom.

Check my watch though. 9.88km. So I suddenly have to get moving again. Obviously knackered. Frickin slow and painful 120m. End up 2s outside my PB.

Fucks sake.
  • Good time, well done!

Chances are it was actually 10k, GPS watches aren’t super accurate. How did your running club measure the course? Since I got my Stryd thing my distances have matched really closely with the club session distances (measured with an old school trundle wheel), whereas using gps was always a bit out, even over short (400m) reps.

Anyway, who wants to pb outside of a race? No point.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It was kinda a virtual race of some sort. Yeah they seemed confident of the distance so maybe it was accurate, but that still doesn't help get out on Strava :P. 42:08 over the line apparently.

In better news, last time I ran that kind of time I could barely walk for two days, whereas now I kinda feel fine. Might even do a nice long slow one tomorrow. Didn't think I'd get back to that previous fitness but looks like I'm in decent nick, which hopefully bodes well for the marathon...
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam

Send message
    Have next karate grading tomorrow, hoping it should go well, I've put in the work at least :)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've finally done my Marathon fundraising page - if anybody is in generous sprits...

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/london-marathon-2021
  • Good luck / break a leg.
  • Questor wrote:
    Have next karate grading tomorrow, hoping it should go well, I've put in the work at least :)
    How did you get on?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've finally done my Marathon fundraising page - if anybody is in generous sprits...

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/london-marathon-2021

Good luck buddy!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cheers dudes, kind donations already!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!