Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Cursed to Golf is a wee banger lads.

That's good, right?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes. Has its flaws in places but its a proper challenge and its a golf rogue what more does anyone need
  • A golf rogue with anime titties.
  • I really like what I've seen of Dome Keeper, which is out on PC at the end of Sept. A claustrophobic and tense combo of mining and defending your dome from monsters, with loads of ways of upgrading of course.

• Re downloaded dead cells cause one of the dlcs was cheap. Ended up getting em all. There's so much there for me as I hammered it in EA and just after launch.

What a game
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Found out Cult of the Lamb was made in Melbourne so I have bought it. Yet to play it though.

Let me know when you do. I’m intrigued would be good to get your opinion.

I've been a bit busy and lacking in energy so haven't played this much. Do love the style though. Our boy Tempy has finished it though, I think he liked it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Found out Cult of the Lamb was made in Melbourne so I have bought it. Yet to play it though.
    Let me know when you do. I’m intrigued would be good to get your opinion.
    I've been a bit busy and lacking in energy so haven't played this much. Do love the style though. Our boy Tempy has finished it though, I think he liked it.
    It’s a better sim management than it is a rougelike, the two elements blend well
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Facewon wrote:

Could go in the rogue thread too, but just gave this a go. It's in EA. Tried the demo, which is generous, and instantly bought the EA for aus$15. 

Heat Death. Looks awesome, has some neat ideas. No idea on depth, but there's plenty going on at first blush.

So yeah, following on from above.

Really neat. Itching to dive in and try properly.

Demo is generous. Got to go through whole 2 sections. I died on second boss.

Still very EA in spots, but nice clear tute and easy settings available so you can just faff about.

Theme is 10/10 for me. Rogue deck builder with visuals like you're playing a space sim.

Some of the ideas around decisions around what to do with cards are super neat.

Combining cards. Swapping cards, adding specific power ups to cards of your choice.

Some other bits and bobs.

Basically, reminds me of space banners of ruin. Deck builder, but sufficiently different from sts to just make me want to play sts.

Could all go to shit, but hey, free demo.

• Christ there's some typos in there.
  • Wow. I missed a major mechanic first game or 2. This is gonna get a thread if it's not careful. Best Rogue builder outside of sts since fights in tight spaces, and could easily be a strong outright second.

Does what griftlands tried a bit better imo.

Really fucking good.
  • Ooooh, Heat Death looks interesting. Downloading the demo now.
  • it does look good.  I know steam does the refund thing but demos need to make a comeback

• Facewon wrote:
    Wow. I missed a major mechanic first game or 2. 

Was it 
    Spoiler:
    Because I thought that was a really unique little touch.
  • Yep.
  • Proper thread incoming for heat death. It's got its hooks in good.

Sooo much cool stuff going on.

Defintely improving my knowledge and it's definitely improving results.

Synergy possibilities everywhere.

• tried the demo and going to be devils advocate - isn't it StS with a reskin?

• Tried Neon Abyss last night as a few people on here rated it iirc. Not convinced by it so far, especially pressing up to jump. I guess I could remap that - there is a dedicated jump button, I just don't want it assigned to the stick that controls movement too. Plus it feels like there should be a roll in there to me. I guess a lot of these games have an iframe dodge of sorts so it's doing its own thing but it feels like there's something missing to me.

Is it a worldie?
  • I like it, got quite hooked on it for a while actually.
    I use Left trigger to jump which helps a lot.

Its not the best game ever but it is worth giving a go. Its a roguelike that relies on the seed that provides a mega OP build for it to really click.
  • Hmm. That's the appeal for a lot of these games but I'm still not keen on waiting for random acts of kindness in rogues - I prefer the ones that feel mega tight even without the added layers of lotto and I'm not sure if Neon Abyss is what I'm looking for there.

Will drop it to easy and see if I can breeze it I reckon, next session will be key. Ta.
  • tried the demo and going to be devils advocate - isn't it StS with a reskin?

No more than any Rogue deck builders are.

The satellite mechanics really add something and there's some new ideas with combining cards etc.

It is absolutely the same type of game and when I do the thread I will be talking about everything in terms of similarities and differences with sts.
  • @Moot
    Yeah just play on Easy get some good runs in.
    TBF I think this one aims to throw up insane runs more often than other Rogues but the basic gameplay is very simplistic.

When you get Pegasus wings, Popcorn and some rapid fire weapon it is brilliant.
  • Facewon wrote:
    tried the demo and going to be devils advocate - isn't it StS with a reskin?
    No more than any Rogue deck builders are. The satellite mechanics really add something and there's some new ideas with combining cards etc. It is absolutely the same type of game and when I do the thread I will be talking about everything in terms of similarities and differences with sts.
    Compared to something like Monster Train it felt a bit too close to StS.
    TBF  Was trying it on steam deck and the lack of controller support was a bit annoying.

• Tyrant's Blessing. Anyone tried it? Sounds like a worse Into the Breach but in a fantasy setting.
  • Selling it hard there. ;)

Haven't seen it.

• Haha, well Into the Breach set a very high bar so something moderately close but in new clothes may well still get a thumbs up from me! I like magic more than mechs.
  • If someone made a serviceable Into the Breach clone with Watership Down rabbits I'd be all over it.
  • Back playing Gunfire Reborn, come a long way since initial release - a rougelike borderlands is as much fun as it sounds

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Must get back into that. Gazelle gave copies of that to a few people, me included, so thanks again to him.
  • sometimes "don't make me think" gaming really hit's the spot

• Saw that Everspace is currently down to just over £6 for the PS4 (complete edition). It's not what I'd buy full price, but I'd been missing some proper arcade style space action and it's definitely a good buy on sale.

Played a bit this evening and it's probably the a game I'll load up if I've a spare half hour, as it doesn't seem to have the 'just one more run' feeling of Dead Cells (at least yet).
    PSN : time_on_my_hands

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!