Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • Can't put my finger on what I like about UnderMine as perhaps it's not all that good in some respects (or rather, not outstanding in any way), but it's got its claws in and I'm enjoying the loop.  Not played much, only seen the first proper boss once, but I'm on the way.  Shame about the sodding slowdown on Switch when it gets busy.  I'm not particularly tech savvy but I reckon the Switch should be able to run this at a locked framerate.
  • I should get vouchers from work in May for 20yrs of service.  I see a Steam Deck in my future.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Peglin has had huge updates. Balancing, a new shop, gold mechanic, new ball types, more crucible levels (I'm at Crucible 9 right now, think Ascension from StS).

What a fucking game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh may go back in
  • Yeah I was hopelessly addicted to undermine
    Will try peglin again, felt a bit sparse last time I played it
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Loving it. Beat the second boss last night, gradually unlocking shop stuff.

Edit: Undermine.
  • I've played Undermine for over 9hrs now and I've only just realised you have the ability to lock a direction and move at the same time. It mentioned a lock button, which sets you on the spot and allows free aiming, but there's a direction lock too. FFS. This shouldn't be a game changer because it's been available from the first screen but it's going to feel like one. Idiot me.
  • Because I can't get enough, I nabbed Nadir. In EA. yet another deck builder. Defo something there. pretty cool USP as a mechanic. Defo needs some QOL work in spots, but one to keep an eye on.  

Flick through this for a look 
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Undermine progress update.  Narrowly beat the 4th boss yesterday.  On to the final area next (or so I've read) next.  Quality game.

Along with Flinthook, Shovel Knight Dig, Downwell, Poinpy and Returnal I think this might be the only roguelike I've played properly on the intended settings.  Might be forgetting something.  Quality game anyway, I don't even mind the fact that it's all a bit long winded.  Love the ones where the bosses stay dead, and skipping zones is a viable option.
  • JonB wrote:
    I've been playing Inscryption and came to look for the chat around it in this place. But it's one of those situations where it didn't get its own thread and got scattered around a few others instead, which is a shame. I guess here will have to do now. After a few hours, I managed to beat
    Spoiler:
    I played it solidly at the start but I suck at these sorts of games it seems so haven't beaten it. Need to return to it as I do love the aesthetic and have fun with it. Just need to make smarter decisions and learn to take my time with it

I had completely the same experience as Jon.  I absolutely loved it at first, really enjoyed the 'between games' bits, and the sense of progression as I got slowly better at the core game.  The underlying metagame about what the game is was interesting too. 
    Spoiler:
    Is it worth playing on to the next bit?
  • Yeah have a nice death is mighty fine

• Elmlea wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I've been playing Inscryption and came to look for the chat around it in this place. But it's one of those situations where it didn't get its own thread and got scattered around a few others instead, which is a shame. I guess here will have to do now. After a few hours, I managed to beat
    Spoiler:
    I played it solidly at the start but I suck at these sorts of games it seems so haven't beaten it. Need to return to it as I do love the aesthetic and have fun with it. Just need to make smarter decisions and learn to take my time with it
    I had completely the same experience as Jon.  I absolutely loved it at first, really enjoyed the 'between games' bits, and the sense of progression as I got slowly better at the core game.  The underlying metagame about what the game is was interesting too. 
    Spoiler:
    Is it worth playing on to the next bit?
    Late response, but I think it's worth pushing through the middle part to get to the end. It never gets back the atmosphere and mystery of the opening, but there's still some really clever stuff in the final third.
  • I really do try all the Rogue like deck builders.

I've nearly beaten it on level 11. (highest at the moment) with "earth."

Its punishing at higher settings, but 200 odd hours, can't be wrong.

Picked up ratopilos too. One part kingdom, one part deck builder. Only one run so far, meh. Maybe.

Also picked up another one, who's name eludes me, which has some unnecessarily flashy character animations etc for a deck builder. It's in EA. Some cool ideas, will post again when I can think of the damn name.
  • Beneath odesa.
  • Inscryption starts well. Only played for half an hour or so but I've managed to
    Spoiler:

which I assume will help me with subsequent runs. Obviously I don't properly understand the cards yet but it's all very interesting.
  • Inscryption is brilliant but it also suffers from being a bit heavy on the perks. Minor spoilers but hopefully nothing too drastic:

I struggled for half a dozen runs or so, only managing to beat one boss, then a particular perk helped smashed through the rest of act one/part one. I honestly don't understand how you could win without it, so I clearly suck at the cards, but I just blootered through and I'm on to the second part.

The perk in question:
    Spoiler:

The whole 'play until the game decides to give you a helping hand' thing is what I struggle with sometimes. I don't like it when rogues are too hard or too easy because random.
  • I think my progress through that part was more steady - getting a little further each time - so I probably didn't notice it as much, but it's likely designed to help you advance after a while. It isn't really a roguelike anyway, despite initial appearances.
  • It's definitely gone on a diversion, I'm glad I kept spoilers to a minimum anyway. Another win for Devolver so far. Their scouting department must be ridiculous.
  • Is Peglin like Peggle it says there's deck building in it on Steam?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's very peggly
  • Peggle and Peggle 2 are favourites of lady chalice, but put a card of any sort in there and we're done. Are there cards?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Don't remember cards really. Maybe power up collection, rogue style, nothing more than that iirc
  • Can confirm it’s cardless

• I was looking for something to scratch an RPG/rogue/Noita-esque itch and found that Caves of Qud is exactly what I'm looking for. It's still early days but I think it might be one of my all time faves, thematically and stylistically it's right up my street. Gameplay has a ton of systems depth but on the surface is straightforward and easy to learn and keyboard controls are logical.

ej6xHSe.png

I'm really enamoured with the presentation, for me it strikes a near perfect balance between readability and having enough low-fidelity abstraction to allow your imagination to run wild and grokk all the weirdness in your own way. If this had a more prescribed aesthetic and detailed sprites there's no way I'd like it as much, really smooth high resolution tilesets in roguelikes always looks weird to me. I generally have no problem figuring out what most things are at a glance, and the gorgeous and highly evocative writing makes even mundane objects feel vibrant -

Ic3vxrs.png

KCZ3PjE.png

uh0aZCh.png

FqqG8AB.png

y1fgaLB.png

There's a lot of procedural elements mixed with fixed elements to the world, which seems to work really well and often makes for amusing little vignettes that utilise your imagination to make explanatory leaps.

It's balls hard, but it makes up for it with the bonkers powers and gear you can accumulate. It's definitely a 'meant to be broken' kinda game. Some times you'll be rolling through caves with a crew of guys you've picked and all kitted and skilled out only to have some dickhead disintegrate you som, but it's all part of the tension and risk/reward of it. There is a few checkpointed modes plus a more passive exploration mode which is cool, but currently I just really like the tension of permadeath and having to make the right choices when going into the unknown, and there's a lot of crazy shit in this game to learn about. Definitely reminds me of Noita in that regard.

Highly recommended, it's much deeper than I was expecting it to be but is still straightforward enough that it's not a chore to re-remember how to play when going back to it. Playing with a very tactile clicky mechanical keyboard helps too, one wrong step can be the difference between life and death so you want to be very deliberate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good write up Gurt, I'll keep an eye out
  • You can play a demo for Caves of Qud atm on Steam, I think as part of a gamescom thing so it seems like it's about to run out.
  • 30XX is out today on Switch. I bounced off 20XX despite like the feel of the game but the sequel is high up my saleswatch chart now. Apparently it has a 'Mega Mode' which fixes layouts and allows you to keep all upgrades when you die, so it seems to essentially offer the Megaman mode I always wanted from 20XX. Nice.
  • Probably the worst timed release of the year, but worth mentioning that Endless Dungeon is out and it's rather good. Sort of twin-stick shooter meets tower defence, published by Sega. Co-op for up to 3 players, but it also works very well as a solo job.

This trailer oversells the action side of things a bit, but I'll post it anyway:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!