Little Rogue: A thread about Roguelikes, there will be Rogues, like, innit.
  • I need 7 achievements to complete my first save file as well... Isaac is basically the only thing I play these days. Looking forward to the next expansion.

Ha, which have you got that I don't?  I picked up Broken Modem today; unlocked it the other week but that's the first time it'd appeared in-game.  I think I still need to actually pick up Mega Blast from a devil deal too, since I unlocked it, it's never actually appeared for me.

Finished yesterday's daily challenge pretty easily, so wondering if it's better to push ahead with today's to get the 31, or wait until the Reddit threads and see if it's safe to try and maintain a streak.  I think that and Ultra Hard will be the last things I get done.

Already thinking of the next save file, and wondering if there are some achievements that are maybe easier to get earlier on, before certain things are unlocked.  A streak with 5 different characters is definitely easier when you're only dealing with Mom's Heart, trying to get that by pushing through to Isaac in the Cathedral was pretty hard.
  • I still need to beat The Lamb without any pickups and also in under 20 minutes. I managed to get a 5-win streak with different characters a minute ago. I played on normal because I didn't want to get frustrated.
    I've already completed all the others you haven't done (increase in size 5 times, Ultra Hard, and the 5-win streak in the daily challenges). I did the dailies without looking at Reddit for the extra excitement and I don't think I had too much trouble. I just took it slow. If you take your time, I think any run is doable. Or maybe I just got lucky. Ultra hard was obviously pretty hard until I got a game-breaking run, but I think I suffered more trying to get all the completion marks on hard with The Keeper...
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I see on Steam that n0face is hammering this lately. Another soul lost to The Addiction.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I fancy giving Isaac a bash. Any tips, and also which version do I get as there seems to be a few?

Afterbirth+ is £35 on Switch, Rebirth is £11.99 on Bone. I have no idea whats what.
  • Afterbirth is the most recent version with all the content I believe, Rebirth is fairly formidable. Not really any tips as such, it’s a pretty straightforward game, just keep playing an experimenting with items.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah ok ta. Just found it for 17 on switch, might plump for that as it seems a better fit handheld.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I bought Isaac. Wtf. Hate it. I thought Death Stranding was the worst game I've played in the last few years, but this might pip it.

Urgh. Wtf am I missing here?
  • I didn't like it either.  Slow moving, ineffective projectiles that sort of *plop* when they hit their mark?  Odd.  It seems to be one of the GOATs though, there's too much fuss for it not to be outstanding.  Was having a nose at other people's playtimes on Switch recently, Elm's closing in on 1000 hours.  To still be happily chasing targets after playing for so long suggests it's a work of genius if it clicks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've tried a few times and it ain't clicked yet. One day, one day...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I really don't get it at all. Every item I picked up dull as fuck. The whole thing is uninteresting and I was bored after about 10 minutes.

Like you say, there must be something there it's really popular.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think there is an element of "git gud" in the powerups start combining etc, and the deeper you go the more it gives. While I tend to die on like the second boss. So yeah.
  • EDIT: This post is v.sarcastic, just in case. 

You fucking babiemen need to go on my youtube channel and watch some of my runs. 

SMDH that people are in here trying to say Isaac is not THE seminal roguelike that it is. 

This game has the best item combination system in any roguelike ever, it's not even close, it's also an extremely fair game, you can legit clear a run without picking up a single item if you are good enough (I was not)

Anyway, here is vintage thicc me from the past showing why this game is great by spouting 30 seconds of random words together and then one shotting one of the final bosses. I guess slight spoilers if you don't want to see that, but this game is that old now that c'mon, c'mooooon...

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Can't decide if I prefer to watch you enjoying Isaac or not enjoying SFV.
  • I can tell you which I preferred.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've played a bit more and all I'm taking from it is wondering why I spent money on this utter garbage.
  • It can feel unsatisfying but when it comes together it's great. 

Item pickups at the start tend to be fairly tame, then you get one that pops off like Guppy, and then you chase that again forever.
  • I've been on Neon Abyss a fair but this week.
    I'm onto the third manager now, although not reached them yet.

Got my strats down but still occasionly do dumb stuff like wasting grenades.

I also have to avoid explosive weapons as I have a habit of shooting the floor.

Working out I could teleport to the bonus rooms has helped but I still need to work out exactly what makes them appear.

Fave power up so far has been the Mercenary something or other. Increased damage based on how money coins you have. I ripped through the second manager with over 300 coins.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Telephone? :D

Those floaty diamond things open the bonus rooms. You can use crystals on them to open the 'nice' bonus rooms, or if you shoot them you'll open the sacrifice room where it costs a heart to grab the item. There's a little bar in the lower right to show progress towards opening the room.

And yes, I avoid explosive guns. I had one upgraded so much it was literally one shotting bosses but then I one shotted myself....
  • :D
    Bloody update has turned my phone keyboard into a total moron.

Ah, cheers. It was the little bar I had missed. I knew they were involved.

It is a great game though. It has the immediacy that leads to just one more go that all good rogues should have.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not that I'm an expert. I make so many stupid mistakes on runs. Its a nice little game though, some fun upgrades/weapons and it is still throwing new ones at me.

Have you seen the guitar gun that surrounds you with a music note shield that then fires at enemies when you release the trigger? It's awesome.
  • Yeah had a go with that but I was rocking something else I liked so left it behind.

I picked up some gun that fired massive homing rockets at one point. I died very shortly after from friendly fire.

Favourites so far are the electric guitar and the one that has a proton pack style beam.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I didn't like the short range of that one, but I guess if you hot enough range mods it would be decent.
  • Been bashing my head against Hades again. Really love it but jesus christ the last boss is a fucker.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Neon Abyss is a fucking banger. Bounced off Gungeon but this is fantastic.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    First manager down with a lol run. Same buzz as Isaac with this one, lovely stuff.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I bought Isaac. Wtf. Hate it. I thought Death Stranding was the worst game I've played in the last few years, but this might pip it.

Urgh. Wtf am I missing here?

Ha ha ha I did exactly the same. Bought it. Played it. Hated hated hated it. It's just an ugly, loathsome product. Nothing likable about it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ive about 1000 hours in Isaac, it is bae
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    For anyone playing on Steam btw, go on the beta tree. Some top QoL changes

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!