@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Still no sign of it being untethered? Come now, Sony.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s not going to be. They’ve said it will use the usb c port at the front. At least it’ll be a much cleaner setup than before.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And looking at that Horizon clip I’m guessing they’ll be focusing on visual fidelity above all else.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tethered is a deal breaker. No ta.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Headset has vibration motor in it.

I’ll probably be in with this. Great look VR experiences where I’m not necessarily spinning around would be good enough for these old bones.

More detail here. https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Its more the fact my VR room is the dining room, PS5 is in the living room.

I'm not sure I want my head vibrating.
  • Yeah seems like it’ll be an automatic off.

I don’t mind the wire if it’s super light.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well if you don't like the sound of that you need to give your head a wobble quite frankly
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sony are pretty good with haptics so it would be worth experiencing before discounting it.

From the blog. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Sony are pretty good with haptics so it would be worth experiencing before discounting it.

From the blog. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward.

Imo dual sense is not that good. The feelings are like old vibrations but whinier and the adaptive triggers are kind of shit. The controller is too big for my hands so extra effort to press a button is no fun.

They’re good at selling it for sure.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER TEMPEST AUDIO?!
  • I agree the adaptive triggers are rubbish. It just feels like the trigger is stuck and then it gives way - it's not a nice progressive amount of resistance throughout the movement range. Only works for things like Returnal where you press to get one effect, and then press harder against the midway resistance to get another effect.

The vibrations are pretty good though - for the few games that make an effort to use it.

And Tempest Audio is mosty a gimmick as it produces worse quality sound in a lot of cases. Again, if used correctly e.g. Returnal then it's great.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The adaptive triggers are not the haptics so you can switch that off if you don’t like the feel of the triggers. The dual sense is probably my favourite controller now (beating slightly the 360) and the haptics are best in class. Not sure what you’re feeling Crayon.

As for the audio works well enough on my headphones. Certainly Returnal made a big difference to the hectic gameplay.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @mrsmr2 so it’s not the tech, it’s if devs can be bothered to make use of it properly. Not sure Sony can be blamed for that. And tbh even if only first party stuff makes use of this tech at least it’s something different.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    And looking at that Horizon clip I’m guessing they’ll be focusing on visual fidelity above all else.

Doesn’t need to be a stand alone console, just wirelessly connect to the PS5. The Quest has had the ability for years via a PC. Tis a shame is all.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The adaptive triggers are not the haptics so you can switch that off if you don’t like the feel of the triggers. The dual sense is probably my favourite controller now (beating slightly the 360) and the haptics are best in class. Not sure what you’re feeling Crayon.

As for the audio works well enough on my headphones. Certainly Returnal made a big difference to the hectic gameplay.

Agreed - big into the triggers, haptics and audio. All work wonders for me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

Doesn’t need to be a stand alone console, just wirelessly connect to the PS5. The Quest has had the ability for years via a PC. Tis a shame is all.

Don’t disagree Hair. Guess they feel the wireless tech isn’t quite there yet. I recall it needed an upgrade router etc. though I wonder if they may release a special dongle for it in the future. That would be the best route.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Agreed - big into the triggers, haptics and audio. All work wonders for me.

Strong agree.
    Returnal in particular is amazing for sound due to tempest.
    (And made it so much easier to find all the cats in yaklad)
    And the triggers work great on stuff like returnal, wreckfest etc etc.
  • Yeah since playing Returnal I can appreciate all the haptics and audio stuff. When it all comes together there's nothing like it. I'm in for the VR2 as I thought the first one is brilliant. Much, much better than it has any right to be for the price.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that Sony’s mistake with the audio was in deciding to go for a proprietary system rather than using something that already existed, that pretty much guarantees that only first party titles will take proper advantage of it. They’d have been better off copying Microsoft’s approach to 3D audio.
  • Even if they are the best that doesn’t mean they really approach anything near what what they sold before launch. With the vibration (I think adaptive triggers do count as haptic) it is more subtle than normal vibration and it’s true it’s a different sensation than normal rumble but for me i don’t think it feels like realistic things. Maybe it’s about effort and forgetting what Astro did but I think there was more hype than the reality could serve. I think the best use of vibration is still from the switch but even that was only in 1-2 switch.
  • I mean - it could also be me. For me the general feeling of holding that pad is uncomfortableness so it’s fighting a losing battle.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    @mrsmr2 so it’s not the tech, it’s if devs can be bothered to make use of it properly. Not sure Sony can be blamed for that. And tbh even if only first party stuff makes use of this tech at least it’s something different.

Obvs it's good to have the options.

Triggers - major disappointment to me because they simply make the trigger feel like it's stuck. It works for Returnal where you have a half way point but not things that are trying to add weight from the start of the movement. It just isn't smooth enough. What they should have done is design something that shortens the spring compression to vary the amount of compression force required. Obvs, this is not easy to do in a controller. But that's what I wanted.

Temptest Audio is a software tool trying to reprocess the audio signals. When a developer designs their games for it, it's good. For a lot of games it can makes the sound a bit thinner so it's worse. Unfortunately, it's buried in the menus and a faff to turn on and off. I have it turned off unless I'm happy a game works better with it. Works great with Returnal but that is also using the ray tracing to produce better sound placement (not sure if that is relevant to Tempest in this case).

Vibration is fine and I like it.

And there is a reason we are all referring to Returnal. How many other games are there that have been designed to make best use of these facilities?

It's good to have these options and I agree it's the tech and we need devs to use the audio and vibration well. However, I don't like the adptive triggers - that is on Sony.

I do like the dual sense very much as a controller. It beats the DS4 (my 2nd favourite) although it is a bit heavier. If it had the 360 triggers and buttons it would be perfect.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've found the Pulse 3D headset I have for the PS5 to not only be the most comfortable I've had but also just the best sounding. It makes me feel bad that I used to get on at CC for his focus on "cans"
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Headset has vibration motor in it.

I’ll probably be in with this. Great look VR experiences where I’m not necessarily spinning around would be good enough for these old bones.

More detail here. https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/04/playstation-vr2-and-playstation-vr2-sense-controller-the-next-generation-of-vr-gaming-on-ps5/

The specs look really good. I can't imagine getting much change from £1000 to get a ps5 and psvr bundle though
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Just had a quick go on Nioh 2 as the bow has the resistance from the start.

I always thought the silly clicking noise was from the speaker. It’s actually coming from the trigger when you release it.
  • I like all the tech in the ps5 controller, when it's used well it adds layers but I can't help but think the size, shape and most definitely the bumpy texture of my series s pad makes it by far the most comfortable to hold. I actually think the ds4 was very nice in the hands too. Series s pad just feels like it grew there though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!