adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Microsoft also killed off One production quite quickly despite the long cross-gen period they planned? Perhaps a casualty of Covid/component shortages. But also this is the first gen in a while with pretty much full BC support.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Any interest in a pre-owned (by two badgers) PS4, Liv? Would do a niceprice to avoid Ebay.
  • Sony trying to cover the cost of that class action lawsuit?
  • Thanks for the offer.
    Perhaps in a couple of months once I can get a proper idea of outgoings (wary of not turning this into another politics thread). Will drop you a DM if I find myself with the free money.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Might wanna get a ps5 sometime this year, just the digital or disc version is the one thing B and I can't decide on. Yesterday we decided digital would be best for us (pretty much because we buy a lot digital already on PC / switch, no discs to move if we have to do big moves again, and it's prettier) but now a colleague sells a disc version for retail, so we're unsure again. Got a handful of ps4 games on disc, but pretty much all of those titles will be on that playstation program thing anyway.

How often do the big titles go on sale digitally? Returnal seems to be $70ish on the store, and Walmart has it at $35 with price drop so it might stay that price for disc. Most interesting titles for us right now would be Returnal (but B claims that I will get sick of that after a few hours), Horizon (but it's not that high on the list, it just seems to be the bundle to get here), Gran Turismo and FFXVI next year.

Will the bigger digital titles have actual decent sales or is it all similar to Nintendo and they'll just drop 10%-25%?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve been keeping an eye on PS sales, and so far, I haven’t seen much in the way of big PS5 digital price drops. 10-25% seems about right so far, but maybe it’s just early days?

Edit: I should say that’s for Sony studios titles, I’ve not paid much attention to third party games.

Edit 2: I should also say that PS4 stuff has dropped much further than that, it’s only PS5 exclusives that the above is true for.
  • Sony have great sales, I rarely ever pay full price as I'm generally happy to wait in most cases. I would however still go Disc despite rarely buying physical. I just don't see the point in losing the option to borrow or buy discs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The disc version of the PS5 is a crime against aesthetics, TBF.
  • The digital version is a crime against common sense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Common sense and aesthetics do often clash.
  • The digital sales aren't too bad if you're willing to wait, I guess. Some games drop more than others (Sackboy, for example). Demon's Souls has been as cheap as £20 on disc though. Plus if you spend £48 on a physical version of [Returnal] but hate it, you could probably shift it on Ebay for £40.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But yeah, I’m a bit concerned that Sony have stopped doing such good sales on their new digital titles. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did.
  • You are a complete spoon (or rich) if you choose digital.:-)
  • I'll be going digital eventually as my Series X has a disc drive so, um, I'm good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve not bought a game on disc for the best part of ten years. The idea of getting up to change games feels roughly on a par to me with getting up to change the channel on the TV. As long as you have a bit of patience, you can usually get things for a decent price.
  • The SKU choice is a Sliding Doors moment for Sweet Brown.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Had to buy the the monstrosity that is the disc version for GT7, as the digital version (cool persons choice) wasn't readily available.

It came bundled with one of those disc things, Horizon something or other, I've still not opened it. People exchanging discs is largely responsible for the spread of Coronavirus. Disgusting things.
  • No, it was exchanging dicks, not discs.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you’re new to PS5, digital plus PS Plus Extra is the best bang for buck. That plus the PS Plus Collection gives you a load of great games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll be skipping PS+ when I do get a PS5. There aren’t that many exclusives I want to play, I’ve already picked up most of them for ten or fifteen quid each, and none are online games. Fuck another sub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Thinking about it, I’m not sure many of the games I want to play that I’m yet to buy are even on the service, they’re mostly recent titles. Pretty much all the PS4 stuff is cheap enough.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It doesn't help that the whole ps+ business is now way too complicated, same for how games upgrade from ps4 to ps5. We got God of War and The Last Guardian digital, will they just upgrade with ps5 perks? Do I need to buy an upgrade pass or whatever it is that sometimes pops up in the thread?

In the end there's just gonna be a couple games I'll want to play on ps5, it would be some single player stuff and multiplayer if there's no cross play, but otherwise I'll probably be on PC most of the time.

Still think digital would be best, and just deal with the higher prices if I really can't wait. We already gathered enough physical media here that we would need to ship back if we'd move across the ocean again.
  • The Last Guardian doesn't run at 60fps on PS5 unless you refuse all patches and play from disc (I think - basing this on the fact that I'm not sure if you can refuse patches on a digital title?). Not sure about God of War.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    God of War has been patched.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any interest in a pre-owned (by two badgers) PS4, Liv? Would do a niceprice to avoid Ebay.

10% markup, is it?
  • I went digital purely for the lower cost outfay, the neater profile and the fact I realised I hadn’t bought physical ps4 games since y2 of launch. The need to part ex games towards new ones disappeared in my 20’s too. Laziness won out in the end and, tbh once you use cdkeys, I think it works out a touch cheaper for brand new releases than using a retailer.
  • I’m also dreading the day the sky’s darken, the oceans open and the land erupts into fire and lava. Yoss has turned on a Sony machine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The main reason to go disc version is moot
  • Was the reference to cdkeys a generic response for buying digital on other platforms?

Ultimately, if you have the disc version you have more choices.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!