The Last of Us 2 : Naughty Dog do their fine thing
  • So tempted to buy it now. I think this is my robocop (as skill up puts it) it just looks so good, that world, the debris flying everywhere, the facial animation, living that story and those characters one more time is so so tempting. I will buy it, will I wait is the question.
  • Played the first couple of hours. It’s still very good, but it just looks like I ‘remember’ it looked at the time. Of course it didn’t but it feels like one of those.
  • digi wrote:
    Forgot how huge this game is, just reached fall.
    Spoiler:

This part, the transition to fall with associated cut-scene and music, plus the events of the previous scene(s) is the point in the game where I realised it was something special.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Forgot how huge this game is, just reached fall.
    Spoiler:

This part, the transition to fall with associated cut-scene and music, plus the events of the previous scene(s) is the point in the game where I realised it was something special.

Iv saved it here and kinda don't want to move on.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ended up watching the rest of this on a playthrough as could not be arsed going back. Its too long for what it is. Kinda glad I didn't play on now. Druckmann is a shit writer.

Impressive technical feat but ND are ridiculously overhyped.
  • I agree about TLOU 2. The writing and story in TLOU1 though were great. As far as I recall it wasnt Druckman leading the writing on that.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • It's a real slog for sure. I played to the end and thought it was amazing but could easily trim 10 hours off.

TLOU2 is way too heavy handed in delivering its themes.
  • I agree about TLOU 2. The writing and story in TLOU1 though were great. As far as I recall it wasnt Druckman leading the writing on that.

No, it was Druckmann on the first one too.  The sequel had Halley Gross's help.  Maybe that's where it went wrong. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I agree about TLOU 2. The writing and story in TLOU1 though were great. As far as I recall it wasnt Druckman leading the writing on that.
    No, it was Druckmann on the first one too.  The sequel had Halley Gross's help.  Maybe that's where it went wrong. :)
    Ohhhh. Ok, thats surprising. I found TLOU1 far more engaging and waaaaaaaaaaay less heavy handed.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I started the remake of the first the other night and frankly those nattering about it only looking how you remember are chuntering absolute nonsense. It looks absolutely incredible and if you played a game that looked like this on a PS3 then you must have had a special super powered version.

I’ve pushed some bins about and carried a ladder. I’ve pushed a triangle to push a bookcases to reveal a hidden door. I’ve timed my triangle push to start a generator to start a lift. So yeah, there’s parts of it that are limited in scope but the hand to hand fighting is horrible and visceral and the world, though clearly limited and linear is brilliantly realised. I had only medium expectations for this. Lol that price. Lol push triangle. Lol Naughty Dog don’t make real games for real games men but this has taken me by surprise. For world and character building there’s no dev that are anywhere near this lot. They’re so far ahead of the rest that their 10 y/o original feels like the second best version of this kind of game.
  • There was a bit early on where Joel was a little tired, huffy, exasperated, and he sighed and pulled his hands down either side of his face. His face moved independently of the skeleton underneath with absolutely no uncanny valley going on and that was the best bit of anything I’ve ever seen a video game do ever. Will play more.

See also; the stitching on the clothes, Joel’s hair, the lady’s arms. Skin pores!
  • Eventual update on giraffe ballbag size pls.
  • I started the remake of the first the other night and frankly those nattering about it only looking how you remember are chuntering absolute nonsense. It looks absolutely incredible and if you played a game that looked like this on a PS3 then you must have had a special super powered version. I’ve pushed some bins about and carried a ladder. I’ve pushed a triangle to push a bookcases to reveal a hidden door. I’ve timed my triangle push to start a generator to start a lift. So yeah, there’s parts of it that are limited in scope....

All those annoying ladder/bin puzzles can be switched off in the new myriad of options I believe. I'll certainly be tweaking a few things for my play through.
  • It’s interesting how this is now playing out for me and how time plays with your memories. The short is that this absolutely feels like a PS3 game in scope and direction, with the upgrade in visuals seemingly making it more apparent.
    There’s very very little change in tempo and pacing throughout the game, with it following the standard ND template of slow, slow, set piece, relief. The dialogue, delivery and scripting are now no longer the high water mark they once were, and they really should have done something about Joel’s sneaking animation which makes him look like he’s about to take the lead in a traditional soviet dance troupe.

So yeah, Naughty Dog have a template and nothing changes, and all their games are the same, and they can write a script but not deliver a game but… ten years is a long time for a lot of people to learn a lot of stuff about how to make a game. It’s really interesting to look at the progression from the original version of this, to U4, to LoU2 and then back to this remaster. I’m realising that it’s not just betta graphix that they’re moving on with but how every incremental improvement to every aspect of game development moves stuff ever further forwards.

£62 was a ridiculous price for me to pay for the privilege of seeing this evolution of this particular developer but I’m just about happy I have. It’s no longer quite the game it was but it’s given me more context for how far they’ve moved on this particular style of game and how far ahead of every other studio they are.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Last of Us Online is dead. Basically Naughty Dog realised they would have to become a GaaS developer to be able to do it justice so fucked it off. https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/an_update_on_the_last_of_us_online
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I think the era of a bodged on multiplayer to try and prevent trading is done now?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Apparently it got internally reviewed by Bungie staff who said "lol no". I mean, fair play for recognising it was pants and cancelling but, damn, there's a good 2yr wasted that could've went to something else.

Anyway,

2, 4, 3, 1.
  • You’d think they’d be more worried about the state of their own company
    The Forum Herald™
  • Funny thing is all most people wanted was an updated factions.

NG lost their heads and got ambitious and have now produced fuck all.

I don't see the need to separate single player and multiplayer games, we've had countless games where both are part of the package and they've been great.
  • It won't be wasted time though. The effort will 100% find its way into another product at some point.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    It won't be wasted time though. The effort will 100% find its way into another product at some point.

I'd of loved them to shine up factions 1 and chuck it in with the remaster of 2. That would be lovely.

I think I just want some TLOU multiplayer in any form to be honest.

• https://www.eurogamer.net/no-return-may-not-live-up-to-factions-but-the-last-of-us-part-2-remastered-offers-enough-reason-for-a-revisit

feedback on the content.. The actual remaster doesn't sound all that much of an upgrade if you want to play at 60 fps but for the £10 I'm in. Just a case of finding the time to play it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • You can already play at 60fps on the Ps5 with the PS4 version can’t you?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • You can - they released an update a few years back. 

I just watched the digital foundry review, its mainly foliage and draw distance improvements on performance mode, with a full 4k on fidelity (but 30fps). The extras aren't all that - but for £10 its not too shabby.
  • How much of an upgrade was 1 then? Or was it that 2 looked so good at the time.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • 2 looked amazing and still does. Unreal that the PS4 could run it.
  • The part 1 remaster brought the OG game in line with the visuals of no.2 running on a PS5 (60fps), as far as I could tell.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think I’ll probably leave the I and II PS5 versions until III is dated.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • ohh.. interesting.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!