META QUEST - Stand Alone VR
  • Factor in the cost of a new PC as well and that's too much to justify at the moment.  It's extremely tempting though.

EDIT:  Just seen your Edit.  Yep, seems best to wait for now.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s unfortunate VR is always going to be expensive, whether it’s a Valve, Sony, Meta or Apple headset but it’s so above and beyond in comparison to any flatscreen experience and flexibility is the deciding factor personally. After mucho consideration other options appear limiting - base stations, cables and walled gardens seem compromises too far compared to a Quest + PC.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Quest is the Facebook one, yes?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, but it doesn't have much to do with actual Facebook really. I don't think you actually need a Facebook account anymore and you can connect it to Steam or whatever.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or maybe you do again, they're always messing with it. I have a dummy facefuck account that has no anything in it.
  • Yeah I'd sit tight for a while. MSFS VR really is amazing but you really want a comfortable headset and the Index is getting old. New micro oled panels are starting to appear making the whole thing much smaller. 

Weirdly, Japan are batshit for VR so hopefully we'll start to see some real headset improvements this year. What it needs are games and now Sony are in the action it should hopefully take off.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely need big players for the games to come and I'm glad Sony have picked this back up. Nothing wrong with the Quest (apart from Meta owning it) but it does lead to a low quality of PCVR in general. We should see much higher quality games assuming PSV2 gets an audience similar to the first one. Though naggingly, I still feel Sony need a killer app, which doesn't seem to be there yet (Astro Bot where are you?)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Definitely need big players for the games to come and I'm glad Sony have picked this back up. Nothing wrong with the Quest (apart from Meta owning it) but it does lead to a low quality of PCVR in general. We should see much higher quality games assuming PSV2 gets an audience similar to the first one. Though naggingly, I still feel Sony need a killer app, which doesn't seem to be there yet (Astro Bot where are you?)

Yeah - and i know it's unlikely but i do hope the console to pc gap is shorter for their tentpole VR title releases - not the 18 months to 2 years they seem to be doing for their current AAA exclusives. PC and console VR need each other, if top-end AAA style experiences are to be a thing.
  • It's great they're doing it though. Hopefully the console thing can just disappear at some stage although Nintendo are going to hold on tight. I'd like to see PSVR2 on PC, modded or officially implemented. PSVR1 was modded to work and apparently it was pretty good.
  • I've noticed many of the younger kids are getting into PC because of all the servers and mods for Minecraft. Now they can get a Steam Deck I'm really hoping PC gaming, especially Linux stuff really goes mainstream.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    According to some articles I've read don't hold your breath for a PSVR2 hack for PC. Apparently PSVR1 was easy because it was basically just registering as an external display for PC. PSVR2 is quite a different beast.
  • Well is Sony are going to keep this PC thing going wouldn't they free it up for PC use at some point? I get they're probably taking a hit right now but if it sells well the manufacturing costs will come down.
  • Whatever they do I'm glad foveated rendering is now a thing. Expensive cards have always been the bottleneck and this is going to radically alter the entry point for PC rigs.
  • Well is Sony are going to keep this PC thing going wouldn't they free it up for PC use at some point? I get they're probably taking a hit right now but if it sells well the manufacturing costs will come down.

I’m assuming this is the kicker - no selling for PC until they can start manufacturing it more cheaply. Maybe.
  • Eventually this will all be wireless headsets (or lenses) running games off your smartphone. Consoles and PCs will only be for the hardcore who want super high-tech.
  • Quest 3 looking more AR than VR. Predictably, it seems less about gaming and more about never taking it off your face.

• There was a time I believed MS were just gonna be open to vr on their platform but just not be the ones fronting it, ie Other headset manufacturers would just make them Xbox compatible via some way and there'd be a vr games store with a fun clusterfuck of compatibility.

Oh well.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Short sighted of them, ironically.
  • Aye, I figured the same. It seemed sensible that they could wait and see what VR kit took off in the PC gaming market and then announce ‘hey look, it works on Xbox too with all these games’ … (and probably release an own-brand headset that was based on the exact same internals).

Maybe the point here is that no VR kit has really, really taken off enough to be worth them bothering with.
  • Whether we like it or not AR/VR/MR or whatever it's called these days is going to be the future and you'd think a big tech company might one of the first ones out of the gate. The Quest Pro is rubbish but Zuckerberg is right about where it's heading.
  • Check this out.

• poprock wrote:
    Aye, I figured the same. It seemed sensible that they could wait and see what VR kit took off in the PC gaming market and then announce ‘hey look, it works on Xbox too with all these games’ … (and probably release an own-brand headset that was based on the exact same internals).

Maybe the point here is that no VR kit has really, really taken off enough to be worth them bothering with.

There have been 20m Quest sets sold. Microsoft’s issue isn’t that VR gaming didn’t take off, it’s that it took off without them - albeit I understand they’ve actively chosen to not get involved in that space.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Aye, I figured the same. It seemed sensible that they could wait and see what VR kit took off in the PC gaming market and then announce ‘hey look, it works on Xbox too with all these games’ … (and probably release an own-brand headset that was based on the exact same internals).

There have been 20m Quest sets sold. Microsoft’s issue isn’t that VR gaming didn’t take off, it’s that it took off without them - albeit I understand they’ve actively chosen to not get involved in that space.

They’re probably wary after the failure of Kinect and HoloLens

Were you actually able to buy HoloLens?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • They’ve got some on eBay, so I guess you could. Maybe they’ll do a full release of them when the WiiU is out.
  • Any Quest 1'ers ran into some Meta fuckery they can't seem to get around? I turned my headset on last night only to find it had done the update I was avoiding for ever and it was now asking me to set up a Meta account. Fine, whatever. But it tells me to go to meta.com/setup and log in with my Oculus account which sends me to a 'whoops! it looks like you're lost. let's get you back home' page. Tried again and again only to get the same result. Reddit suggests a lot of people have had similar issues. If I could just ignore the request and use the headset as normal fine. But hardly anything works anyone. The store shows an error and apps that I own won't launch. What a load of arse.
  • Well tried this again today and it now works so... who knows?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Apologies Scout, was meaning to checkout the issue but been much busy and away from home until tonight.
  • No worries and no apologies necessary!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!