Astral Chain - Batonetta?
  • Yes?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Right?
  • Sometimes I think this game should let you fail and restart more often. With the extra batteries and healing items you can stumble through a lot of battles without really learning them, when it's far more fun to do it well.

Just did a long series of battles where there's edges to fall off, floor traps and protective enemies that need to be severed from their hosts before you can damage them. First time was an absolute mess (and the lock-on and camera are still never quite as reliable as I'd like), rolling into traps, getting cornered and so on. I did eventually die this time and had to restart, but aced it 2nd time, being aware of what enemies to expect and the various hazards. And it was an amazing sequence.
  • And apparently there are around 70 extra challenges to do post-credits. I've done about 20 so far. I'm just going to have to keep coming back to this from time to time between other games.
  • Switching the camera option to 'Follow enemy under attack' seems to help. Perhaps I should've tried that 30 hours ago. Or perhaps it should have been the default.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This game is a rich as heck. Even in handheld mode, it's really immersive.
    I've been playing this in disparate patches, and as the controls are complicated, this has taken a while to click...

Like Jon says, you can drag yourself through fights, and the system will allow it. But there's been little in gaming this year more satisfying than surveying a field of Chimera, developing a split second plan in your head, and pulling out the right Legion/Baton combination to deal with everything...

So much detail too. It's a very interesting gameworld. I've only just started paying attention to all the supporting story notes, combat options, and the achievement system.

Didn't even realise those things were there!

My GotY so far.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Still maintain it's too much of everything for it's own good.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I need to get back into this.
    Once I've beaten Pokémon
    And death Stranding
    And outer worlds
    And maybe got disco Elysium

BUT I WILL DO IT
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Still maintain it's too much of everything for it's own good.

I see it as an exceptional action game first, but the bonus shit is terrific.

Again, it took a while to click for me... The combat, being as complex as it is, can be frustrating on some occasions, and patronisingly forgiving at others. There are some pacing issues there too, and I think that's down to what I think you're saying, about this game doing loads of different things.

but, take this for example...

There's so much going on at every level of this game. I haven't even got to the point where I need to start exploring the customisation and upgrade tree, because that shit looks deeper than a good number of RPG's.

Andy wrote:
    I’ve had a look at the upgrades, it’s nothing particularly complex...

I've been revisiting this point... It's effectively a miniature (strong emphasis on the word 'miniature') version of the Sphere Grid system in FF10... Progress along the tree gives you new moves, in addition to attack and defence level boosts. In some ways, it's very similar to what Bayonetta did, but it's really tidily done here.

The game thoroughly rewards attention to detail in how you use the Legions in battle, and the tech tree, while optional, appears to be a large component of that.

Even the IRIS thing, which initially appears to be a small conceit... 

Never feels essential as you scrape through a particularly forgiving gameplay set piece, until you look back at the level you've dragged yourself through, and realise it was the answer to an extra 2 - 3 minutes of 'brute force' bludgeoning.

Then, sure enough, in the next level, the design enforces it's use, and you come round to the fact that there are probably some really cool, Nintendo like secrets embedded deep into the game design that make use of it...

Again, it has pacing issues in parts, but it's absolute glee at times... Hope it's selling well.
    Want to see more games with this attention to detail on what you're asked to do (and not necessarily just see) as a single player.

It's becoming rarer and rarer, unfortunately...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Picked this up again. Still only on File 3 and playing on Pt Standard but the combat seems quite difficult. Controlling the camera as well as character as well as legion all seems much at times. But otherwise great so far.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Controlling the camera as well as character as well as legion all seems much at times.

Check your camera settings in the options menu. 

Be sure to enable 'Follow Enemy Under Attack'. 

Helps a lot!
  • Ooh cheers will do.
  • Yeah, it's bizarre that it isn't the default. It's basically how every modern action game works.
  • Curtis wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Controlling the camera as well as character as well as legion all seems much at times.

Check your camera settings in the options menu. 

Be sure to enable 'Follow Enemy Under Attack'. 

Helps a lot!

You don’t control the camera it’s a control all by itself
    The Forum Herald™
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message

What a fantastic video! Not only is it clear & concise, its also beautifully presented. Check out the UI elements from the game he re-created. Top marks!
  • Watched some of that before saw some bits I haven’t been to yet... anyway, good vid. I’m shit at this, only getting D’s in combat. Then also realised I hadn’t actually spent anything to unlock stuff!!! Noob. So now I have more moves and Legion skills etc, combat is much better. 

Just finished File 5 and story gone off on a tangent in typical Japanese fashion. But I’m cool with that!
  • Man they do rob a lot from evangelion in this!
  • I’m about half way through. I don’t quite get why this is an edge 9.

I also really dislike the dog when there are platforms one can fall off.

Also all the collecting of that red rubbish can get in a bin.

• Where else would you put rubbish?

It's standard issue EDGE.

You've got to bear in mind they add at least +1 to every Nintendo game and +1 to anything from the Bayonetta team because 'the love video games'™
    The Forum Herald™
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Bloody nora! File 06 goes on forever!

Be sure to turn off the 'Follow Enemy' camera option for the final encounter of that level our you'll go dizzy like i just did.
  • It’s a strong 8 so far for me. Will see if it become 9 by end. 

File 6 might be where I am. Has stealth bits before you get to a big area? That one?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Those stealth bits are a doddle if you have the 'Auto-Bind' ability unlocked on your Legion. Just tie up the guards before they see you. And if you do get spotted there's still a choice to fight your way through (thank goodness).
  • Unlocked that ability just afterwards. D’oh! Now fights are much better. Really enjoyed that training mission just after you meet a key person on that level.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Next on your shopping list should be the 'Hit Rush' ability - this allows you to 'unchain' your Legion giving the AI full control. Then, you switch and summon a different Legion (while the other one is still up) for a 3-pronged attack!

So satisfying. :)
  • REALLY?! Damn. I think I have enough gene codes to unlock that for all of them now. Will do! Cheers.
  • I’m totally trading this in. Everything apart from the fighting is kind of irritating in some way shape or form but also completely uninteresting. I have no desire to fall off another platform because the robot has some bullshit momentum and boring challenges demand some more concentration than the enjoyment can compensate.

It’s not a bad game but the story is not interesting enough to persist -
    Spoiler:
    and my non leet level skills are not getting the most out of anything but I am breezing through the fights still. - the health back on killing makes a lot really trivial.

Bah.
  • Still waiting on Boris or Moot to request this as part of our three-way. Feel incredibly guilty whenever I see it staring back at me. Help me lads.
  • Boris wants it. But not quite yet?
  • I’m totally trading this in. Everything apart from the fighting is kind of irritating in some way shape or form but also completely uninteresting. I have no desire to fall off another platform because the robot has some bullshit momentum and boring challenges demand some more concentration than the enjoyment can compensate.

It’s not a bad game but the story is not interesting enough to persist -
    Spoiler:
    and my non leet level skills are not getting the most out of anything but I am breezing through the fights still. - the health back on killing makes a lot really trivial.

Bah.
    I’ll take it off your hands and beat the shop price.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!